Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 3 Virgin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Disco 3 Virgin

Dipped my toe in the world of the Disco 3 this weekend and do not understand what all the fuss is about. I only drove one to prove that all the journalists were wrong and it is exactly the car we do not need... Evil or Very Mad

At least that was what I told my wife when arranging the test drive, whilst secretly thinking that it cannot be really that good, can it?

Surprised Very Happy I have to say I was blown away and quite tempted to keep on driving in any direction until it ran out of fuel. I have never driven such an excellent vehicle. The children enjoyed it and it is good to be able to give them a choice of seats, which does prevent arguments.

I am now considering what to buy. New or Used? S or SE? 2005 or 2006? The one definite is the auto box. What an absolute delight! I also drove a manual but my personal choice is definitely the auto box, even though I have always driven a manual before now

Is it possible to retro-fit adaptive bi-xenons?

Cheers!

Post #621996th Jun 2006 11:23 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

4472 (or should that be the Flying Scotsman? Wink )
Used exactly the same justification for our test drive....
If you can, go new - much better perma Very Happy
The bi-xenons can be retrofitted but not the adaptives, needs an additional ECU and probably some enabling on T4 / WDS

Oh, and welcome to Disco3! Thumbs Up

Post #622026th Jun 2006 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the site Very Happy

Yep, go new if you can, there are some bargains to be had if you shop around. Second-hand D3s seem to be holding their value well meaning with the right discount you can get a new one for not much more.

Si
 The End  
Post #622036th Jun 2006 11:37 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

4472, 7 months on and I've still got the Mr. Green on my face....I have never before owned a motor where my enthusiasm and interest for it has grown as time has passed - usually very much the opposite.

Go for it ....you know you want to Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #622086th Jun 2006 12:00 pm
SN

Welcome 4472 (I assume you're somewhere near York then?)

Get out there and get it bought - it is an amazing machine and as good as an exec motor as it is an off-roader! I'd recommend buying new - you'll want to keep it when bought, and you might as well have the full 3 years warranty because, like all new expensive cars... any uncovered fault could prove expensive.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #622096th Jun 2006 12:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Currently I have a price of £30,950 from DriveTime, for a Auto S with an expected availability of 2-3 weeks. It is a UK model and will be collected from a dealership. Have any of you dealt with them?

My preference would be to buy direct from a dealership, any tips on getting them down on price Wink

Post #622426th Jun 2006 12:51 pm
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I agree, go new. To get the price down spread your net wide over several dealers, decide on your minimum spec and a colour range and give them a reasonable maximum budget. Don't play them against each other too much - they will smell a rat.
I got my SE about £6k off list using this tactic at the end of the financial year. End of month is always a good time for the buyer if it has been a quiet month. You also need to be ready to buy and insure quickly. All these make you mega-attractive to the dealers and you will be stronger in screwing the price down.
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #622666th Jun 2006 2:58 pm
SN

4472 wrote:
Currently I have a price of £30,950 from DriveTime, for a Auto S with an expected availability of 2-3 weeks. It is a UK model and will be collected from a dealership. Have any of you dealt with them?

My preference would be to buy direct from a dealership, any tips on getting them down on price Wink

A grand less than I paid for the same car in February - go for it!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #623366th Jun 2006 6:32 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I emailed all the dealers in the uk and got a really good deal from one, about 6k of list I think. I can email you the list of email addresses if you want. Just ask for the best price for a whatever model, in such and such colour with this interior and these options and watch the quotes role back in. You need ot be prepared to do a deal quickly and perhaps send the mail towards the end of the month to mop up a dealer incentive to sell one more model to hit a target etc.

If you want the list send me a pm with your email address on and I'll send it to you.

If you are looking at the brokers on the web, make sure you are the first owner on the log book, and that the car is a UK sourced vehicle. Also make sure the dealers aren't offering you a pre-registered car. A dealer near me offered me a great deal on a pre-reg car which turned out to be 3 months old and 2,000 miles. That's 2nd hand in my book!

Good luck

Paul

Post #623566th Jun 2006 7:24 pm
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Iv'e had my SE auto for 7 months now. Absolutely bloody brilliant, and getting better all the time. The car now has 7500 miles recorded and the performance is getting better and better. Recently had the ecu update carried out which improves performance all the more.
We got our work done early today and went to Dartmouth for the day. A great drive, a lovely Pastie and 28 mpg.
Go for new. With the huge pool of cars the dealers can call on I'm sure they can source an SE auto with Xenons already fitted.

Hope it goes well.

Cheers, Alan
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #624086th Jun 2006 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >