Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Disco 4 Signature LEDs - DRLS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Discopolis

United Kingdom 
Disco 4 Signature LEDs - DRLS

Disco4 HSE MY11 - We're trying to get the signature LEDs to come on with the ignition on their own.

LR say that this can't be done and that if they enable DRLs that the dipped headlights will be on all the time too.

So - does anybody know a fix that will enable signature LEDs and NOT the dipped headlamp DRLs?

Ta

Post #8688889th Dec 2011 1:03 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Just turn the sidelights on? I thought the signature LED's weren't related to DRL's, which are another item altogether? Sound's like what you're aiming for is the sidelights to be on whenever the ignition is turned on? I think the genuine DRL circuit actually turns off when the headlights are on... so you'd loose the signature lights if they were connected to DRL's.

Post #8688969th Dec 2011 1:16 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Sounds like you are after the fairy lights coming on in place of DRL's. This does not and cannot happen, as LR dealer has said if DRL are enabled then the dippedbeam aslo comes on. there are two choices, turn the fairy lights on manually (easy flick of switch) or buy he proper DRL kit and have that installed, again a fairly easy job but a little more expensive. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8688999th Dec 2011 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discopolis

United Kingdom 

Could just turn the sidelights on but then that also puts the rears on as well.

Also, we've just picked up and Evoque which has the Halo signature lights on all the time with the ignition. If you flick to sidelights it then dims the halos. Obviously LR have set them up so they are brighter in daylight but then dimmer on sidelights...which makes sense.

So thought was that the signature lights on Disco 4 may have something similar so would be brighter too if they could be set to come on by themselves in 'daylight' mode and not a dimmed 'sidelight' mode.

I think signature lights look great on both Evoque and Disco 4 and it seems a shame not to have them on all the time. Our Disco 4 is dark blue which means despite it's size sometimes people seem to miss it coming even in broad daylight let alone leafly tree covered roads. I don't want to enable full Disco 4 DRL mode as then I'd drive round with headlights on all the time and that would make me a right muppet!

Post #8689359th Dec 2011 3:00 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Here in Spain/Andorra, there was a technical document issued (two years ago!) to the dealers showing them how to make a modification to make the fairy lights (i.e. sidelights) stay permanently illuminated with the engine running.

It seems that it was released due to customer complaints/confusion similar to the ones in this thread.

The document number/reference is LRGT 0918 and it was offered to D4 owners (with bi-xenons fitted) at a cost of around 70 euros, it needs wires cutting and splicing, but if done at the dealers it does not affect the vehicle warranty.

It worked by splicing into the HPFP feed (via a diode) to provide power to the sidelight circuit when the engine is running. Please note that both front and read lamps are illuminated and also that this is not a DRL type of light - it is just to keep the sidelights permanently lit.

In the first post of this thread on the spanish forum, you can see a PDF file withthe last page of the document showing the wiring.

http://www.discotr.es/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2803

I'm not sure if this bulletin was also valid in the UK Question
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #8689589th Dec 2011 4:51 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

That would do it... considered it for a moment before realising you wouldn't be able to turn the fairy lights off, which is nice if you don't want to attract so much attention?

Post #8689729th Dec 2011 5:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >