Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Disco 4 Steering wheel electrics dead
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Oz Brown

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Disco 4 Steering wheel electrics dead

Hi guys. Need some help to diagnose a problem with a disco 4 I bought recently. Bought it as a non runner. had a fire under L/H front wheel arch and basically it had taken out 3 wiring looms. Engine bay loom, chassis loom that runs down the passenger side and across the back axle to the fuel tank, and also the engine loom. Engine loom changed for a brand new one. Engine bay loom changed for a second hand loom. Exactly the same number, and it came with the fuse box on it, so absolutely complete and in good condition. Chassis loom was used but again it was pretty good. I'm not an electrician but I've changed all the looms systematically and once fitted pressed the button and the car started first time. I've got lots of warnings as i expected i would after a pretty major refit, and with electrical fires you never know what'sensors got messed up.
A number of errors that i've got are pointing to the steering wheel and steering sensor. There's a warning on the dash to tell me that the paddles are disconnected. Nothing on the wheel works. Radio, horn controls etc are all dead. I also get a lot of DTC's on the reader relating to the steering sensor as it's not feeding anything to the various modules that need it's input, so I'm thinking that there's a connection somewhere on the column that's not plugged in.
When I bought the car it was owned by a guy who had done most of the work and died, which is how i came to buy it. He had messed with the column slightly as he had to remove the steering lock to be able to move the car. With the electrics burnt out i suppose it was the only way. Steering lock refitted and plugged in and all okay now. Don't know if he could have disconnected anything else but i can't see anything.
So my questions are.
Is there anything that is common to all controls on the wheel including the steering sensor.
How does the actual wheel make it's electrical connection to the rest of the car?
There is a module up above the pedals on the Right hand side. is this the control module for the steering wheel and paddles etc. I've plugged in all connectors but maybe it got blown when the electrics burnt out.
Any assistance would be useful.
Thanks
Oz

Post #208797629th Sep 2019 9:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >