Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Disco 5 Fuel Diesel or Petrol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
J77

Scotland 

There's no ban on diesel vehicles, only clean air congestion charges in 16 cities by 2020, which makes it ok because the governments pockets are being lined. If you want clean air then ban petrol and diesel, don't just penalise one group.

I would like to see what's going to happen to all these diesel vehicles once everybody jumps ship. Once diesel is eradicated it will be petrols turn. No point going from one to the other, I will stick with diesel until such time JLR get a useable electric vehicle to market. At the moment my name is down for an I-Pace will be my D5s replacement.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #176452716th Jan 2017 11:11 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I'm sure Landrover wouldn't spend millions developing an in Line 6 cylinder diesel engine if there was any chance of a ban?

Or would they ?
 Peter  
Post #176457917th Jan 2017 8:10 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

J77 wrote:
There's no ban on diesel vehicles, only clean air congestion charges in 16 cities by 2020, which makes it ok because the governments pockets are being lined. If you want clean air then ban petrol and diesel, don't just penalise one group.

I would like to see what's going to happen to all these diesel vehicles once everybody jumps ship. Once diesel is eradicated it will be petrols turn. No point going from one to the other, I will stick with diesel until such time JLR get a useable electric vehicle to market.

Agreed
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #176460217th Jan 2017 9:36 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Drip by drip they are coming after us.....

Click image to enlarge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/20...t-climate/
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #176611020th Jan 2017 9:19 am
petersw

Ford are using the 3.0 V6 diesel (as fitted in D4/5 FFRR & RRS ) for their new soon to be released F150 in the USA.
 Peter  
Post #176618620th Jan 2017 11:57 am
petersw

Looks like Landrover have realised Euro 6 is crucial.
Especially if you have a family.
 Peter  
Post #176618720th Jan 2017 12:00 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Off Topic

I would like to hunt my original D3 down and Park it up for 5 or 10 years until EV conversion kits have matured. Rip out the TDV6 and convert to electric. There are some firms offering great kits for classic cars but in a few years it will be cheaper, easier and advanced enough to overcome limitations around weight and aerodynamics. Imagine the D3 with an ultra efficient drivetrain and massive amounts of torque. the chassis could make hiding the battery cells low and between the wheels much easier Thumbs Up

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #176621620th Jan 2017 1:27 pm
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Love the look of the new D5, BUT:

• Not sure I can cope with a 2.0l diesel, even given the performance figures, but maybe false prejudice?

• Not sure I can afford / justify the 3.0l diesel given poor fuel economy

• Certainly can't afford the poor fuel economy of the 3.0l petrol.

After 17 years of driving a Discovery of one sort or another, I'm now seriously looking at lots of other options for the first time, including both the Q7 and Volvo T5 hybrids, which can do up to about 30 miles on pure electric - which is enough to get me to work, recharge, then take me home again. Up front cost is higher, but the lifetime costs look like they will be considerably lower.
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #176974627th Jan 2017 9:55 am
petersw

Re hybrids:
Does anyone know the lifetime or amount times battery packs can be recharged & replacement cost?
 Peter  
Post #176975427th Jan 2017 10:11 am
neilk

England 

Calcul@tor wrote:
Love the look of the new D5, BUT:

• Not sure I can cope with a 2.0l diesel, even given the performance figures, but maybe false prejudice?

• Not sure I can afford / justify the 3.0l diesel given poor fuel economy

• Certainly can't afford the poor fuel economy of the 3.0l petrol.

After 17 years of driving a Discovery of one sort or another, I'm now seriously looking at lots of other options for the first time, including both the Q7 and Volvo T5 hybrids, which can do up to about 30 miles on pure electric - which is enough to get me to work, recharge, then take me home again. Up front cost is higher, but the lifetime costs look like they will be considerably lower.

I am not sure the real world consumption difference between the 2.0L and and 3.0L will be as significant as the numbers suggest (Ingenium engine likely to be worked more, and I suspect better tuned to the emissions measurement approach than the venerable V6).

To me the longer term residuals is a gamble with either route. The growing pressure on Diesels vs the real lifecycle costs of Hybrid which with present technology that have battery backs that will slowly turn to ballast, and again speculation on my part cost more that the fuel consumption benefit to replace. My toss of the coin is that EU6 has a long enough life and my mileage is low enough for the time I plan to keep it but that is purely based on my usage and a lot of "guesswork".

I respect peoples desire to do the right thing, but not sure the lifecycle cost argument is compelling but as always your mileage may vary.

Post #176978627th Jan 2017 11:03 am
J77

Scotland 

I'm pretty sure the fuel economy will be slightly better on the 5 than your current 4. For me there isn't a big enough price gap between the 2.0l and the 3.0l, the former would need to be more than £1.5K cheaper before I would consider it.
Post #176979727th Jan 2017 11:15 am
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Whilst we are all thinking? Long term ownership and 2.0L V 3.0L and toying with the idea of Petrol and or HYBRID mix, Consider this. When all the vehicles out there are trundling round with huge ballast, Who will foot the bill when these battery packs come to to end of life? that cost will be passed directly back to the Owner.
It's not yet been factored in as the ammount out there are small in comparison but when almost every vehicle have these packs it is only wise to try and assume that their replacement and recycling will cost us the motorist. Look at LPG.

There are massive problems yet to be overcome with Hybrid technology. A good freind of mine stated to the company that he works for that to make the battery effeciency a worthwhile option it would require a power source like the Dodgem cars, picking up a feed from overhead, Which then brought the conersation round to trams? which are all but none existant and rarely take you where you need to go, theses were lambasted in the past in favour of paving the way for motor vehicles. He summed up by telling his peers that Siemens couldn't get trains to run off batterys with the ammount of space and power they have what chance do they have with a motor vehicle.

For pure driver focussed efficiency "For Me" the 2.0L Ingenium makes more sense. I'm past that traffic light grand prix stage in my life and rarely go above the speed limit, I've no intention of towing a trailer or a caravan and often find myself in competion with the digital readout trying to eek out maximum MPG downhill with atailwind and the sail up !
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #176980927th Jan 2017 11:31 am
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

petersw wrote:
Re hybrids:
Does anyone know the lifetime or amount times battery packs can be recharged & replacement cost?

Having looking into hybrids quite a bit lately and just bought an electric car, I think it varies. A lot of the cars have quite advanced battery management though so its something they are obviously wary of. I think to help with any worries though most manufacturers offer a 8 year drivetrain and battery warranty along side the usual 3 or 5 year car warranty which gives an indication of expected life. I wouldn't want to have one out of warranty just yet.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #176986127th Jan 2017 1:16 pm
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Whether hybrids / electric / diesel or petrol make most sense will obviously, to an extent, depend on individual circumstances.

Someone who only does a few miles pa, isn't going to be as interested in mpg as someone who does tens of thousands of miles pa.

Personally, I do circa 20,000 miles pa - mostly on journeys of up to 30 miles, with a few longer trips most months.

I'm expecting to keep my next car for 3 to 5 years. Probably 3 to 4, but I said that about my last Disco, which I've had for 5.

I'm also probably looking at either outright purchase, or contract hire.

Given the above criteria, a hybrid capable of circa 25 to 35 miles on electric with petrol or diesel to supplement and enable longer journeys seems like it might make sense! But I haven't actually worked through the numbers yet!
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #176989227th Jan 2017 1:53 pm
J77

Scotland 

chalky wrote:

For pure driver focussed efficiency "For Me" the 2.0L Ingenium makes more sense. I'm past that traffic light grand prix stage in my life and rarely go above the speed limit, I've no intention of towing a trailer or a caravan and often find myself in competion with the digital readout trying to eek out maximum MPG downhill with atailwind and the sail up !

For me, going for the 3.0 ain't anything to do with power or quick away from the lights, it's just purely a more refined sound and relaxing motorway cruiser plus it's an engine that's tried and tested, and for £1.5k more it's worth it. After April it won't matter which one you take the VED will be the same, so that's that incentive out, so it's purely buying it in the hope that it will get the 43mpg that LR claim opposed to the 39mpg claimed from the 3.0, not a big difference really.
Post #176990727th Jan 2017 2:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >