Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Disco on Le Tour...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hey dont mock the Swiss wine, there is a lot of it and it is rather good, so much so that they dont export it and keep it all for themselves. I think the white is better than the red though even though I am a red drinker by rights.
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #1752867th Jul 2007 11:58 am
IanD

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

On the speeding issue, TBH I think that you're far more likely to get caught in the UK, since there are far more cameras and the traffic police presence is FAR greater in the UK. AFAIK the computer used to analyse the French "radar" images is not yet capable of coping with foreign plates. I've never seen a French traffic car in the 8 years we've been here (if they even exist), and the normal ones don't have calibrated speedos, so are not legally capable of prosecuting you by following you! The ones to watch are the hand held laser guns used for a short time in one place and then moved. Other motorists usually warn of these ahead. I've seen more of them in towns, since there is an automatic 50 kph limit applied, even if there is no sign, in any "agglomeration", which I think means any collection of about five houses or more.

Another common myth is that you can be prosecuted on the time between peage toll booths. Their clocks are not linked, so this is not legally possible. It is also not possible since the police must be able to say where you committed the heinous offence of speeding (or any other crime) so as to send you to the correct Departement's "tribunal". On an autoroute, several Departemtns are often crossed, making this impossible.

Oh, and note that diesel is usually called "gasoil" (approximate pronounciation: gazwal)

FWIW we've never bothered with changing the headlights or any of the other gubbins you're supposed to carry (and the both cars we have used in 8 years have been on UK plates).

Post #17671511th Jul 2007 11:10 am
christoff

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the useful advice. Really looking forward to the trip.

Post #17673411th Jul 2007 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >