DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Disco on Le Tour...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
christoff

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Disco on Le Tour...

Hi all,
My permagrin is now about 4 weeks old with no sign of it fading. My 05 TDV6 SE hasn’t missed a beat as yet and I’m loving it. Very Happy

In a couple of weeks, 2 of us are shooting over to France for a few days to watch le Tour. It’ll be a trip of about 2000 miles in 5 days and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with the car.

I’ve read some great accounts of long-distance journeys and trips on here, and I’m looking to tap into all your experience and get advice on stuff to take, stuff to think about, be prepared for, do before leaving etc... (Incidentally, the Xenons look like a right pig to switch over to rhs of the road).

Things already covered .. I’ve sorted insurance to share the driving, I’ll be checking all the usual levels beforehand and I'll be hooking up the Amoco Cadiz to the towbar, (or be making the most of cheap French fuel Idea )

Any help, advise or wise-cracks gratefully received.

Post #1750936th Jul 2007 4:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Don't bother adapting the Xenons, several people have been using them both sodes of the continent with no issue.

I'd be interested to know what you need to have on European roads taht we don't have to have here. i.e. first aid kit, warning triangle etc.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1750956th Jul 2007 4:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alex08

Scotland 

Bodsy wrote:

I'd be interested to know what you need to have on European roads that we don't have to have here. i.e. first aid kit, warning triangle etc.

Just been looking into this for my hols.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overs...untry.html

And changing the Xenons isn't too bad on the adaptive ones as you can rotate the bulb to get to the switch.

Post #1751006th Jul 2007 4:42 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Doh! Why didn't I think of that....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1751036th Jul 2007 4:47 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The French police do rather like checking UK cars rather more than their countrymen! My understanding is that you need to have: Spare set light bulbs, warning triangle, fluorescent tabards, extinguisher. Its sensible to have a first aid kit but I don't think that its compulsory. Have a look at the autoroute websites - gives sensible advice about busy times, known camera locations etc.
Have a safe trip Very Happy
Duncan

Post #1751256th Jul 2007 5:29 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

I got a batch of fluorescent vests in Lidl for £1.99 each - bargain

Didn't fancy the matching knickers though!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #1751276th Jul 2007 5:30 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

A couple of bulb kits on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-LANDROVER-DI...dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY...dZViewItem
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #1751326th Jul 2007 5:45 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Euro's in (coins) for small tolls
Euro's in (notes) for killer tolls (you can easily get a €40+ toll in the South)
Blind spot mirror, it helps on overtakes with RHD in a LHD country

All the Euro kit, like bulbs, triangle, vest (already mentioned)

I agree with previous posts, no need to change Zenons over
A) It's a bitch
B) It makes little difference

If using Euro Tunnel: Definately go in the lorry section ie over 190cm class, you'll regret it if you don't !

And most importantly remeber to say,

C`est un peu egoiste de votre part de ne pas parler anglais, vous ne trouvez pas ?

To all French people that you meet !!!! Then run.

"It's a bit selfish of you not to speak English don't you think ?"
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #1751376th Jul 2007 6:59 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Diesel in France (supermarche price) is now about UK pence 72.5 equivalent. Quite a lot dearer on the autoroutes but easy to find large supermarche near autoroutes at big towns. On the autoroutes LeClerc have fairly reasonable price. Most French motorways shown price signs for maybe the next 3 or 4 stops ahead (with distances)
Defo take warning triangle and fluro vest. I've never taken spare bulbs Embarassed , first aid kit or fire extinguisher but the bulbs might be a good idea. Don't bother with the light switch or beam deflectors.
Cash is useful for Tolls but I find the CC is accepted OK for the big amounts. Watch out for the automated fuel pumps most will not take UK issued CC's. Depending where you are you may find filling stations close early evening (and maybe shut all day Sundays)and only have auto systems operational after this time.
If you don't speak French smile a lot and learn 'Je suis désolé, je ne parle pas français' Wink
A lot of the younger French folk can speak English but are very reluctant to do so, if you do try some French and get stuck (don't forget to wave your hands about some) you might be lucky and get someone to talk to you in English.
There are around 2000 speed cameras (GATSO) in the whole of France. You can find the locations here http://english.controleradar.org/ also watch for the French police/Gendarmes they use static locations where it is easy for them to trap large numbers of drivers exceeding the speed limit. These locations often include motorway sliproads, where speed limits that descend every 100 metres are common. Speeding can mean an on-the-spot fine of up to €375 (£260), and if you don't have it, the police can keep your vehicle until you come up with the cash. If you're caught going more than 50kph over the limit, your car can be confiscated Shocked

Post #1751476th Jul 2007 7:50 pm
christoff

You Guys... Bow down

My Censored side got the better of me last weekend, went to Aldi and picked up a Triangle, Floro vest, tow stuff etc for a fiver. Also picked up an AA road atlas of France for 3quid!

I'll get a bulb kit - always useful and I'll be taking 1st aid stuff anyway.

Interesting point about camera's, speed limits and the rozzers.. I have a road Angel - I've no idea if it includes french locations. The RA website has a french option, so they must have the data captured.

Post #1751686th Jul 2007 8:40 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

christoff
Not sure what the type the Road Angel is but read this:

Radar and Laser Detectors - forbidden in France - Radar and Laser detectors detect active (in-use) speed cameras. Such a device is not allowed in France.

Getting caught just having such a device in your vehicle means a 1500 euros fine, device impounded (with the car if fixed to it).

Post #1752016th Jul 2007 9:20 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Those bulb kits include all yo'd need for a 'normal' D3, but do I just need a handful of the Brake/indicator bulbs as if my xenons go then I'm pretty f Censored anyway aren't I?

So I'm planning not just France, but France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland so looks like I'll have to do my homework!

Tolls not a problem as I'll claim those back, along with fuel Thumbs Up

Pity I won't be able to claim the cases of wine back though..... Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #1752036th Jul 2007 9:28 pm
christoff

Re: Road angel

I've a road angel plus - gps and laser detector (built in battery so no cables stretching over the dash Whistle ).

Hadn't heard anything about the laser detector issue in France before, thanks for the heads up.

Tbh, I can't wait to stretch out and cruise in the ol' girl. I just hope she behaves herself Sad

Post #1752126th Jul 2007 10:05 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Bodsy,

If you're brave enough to try Swiss wines the let me know and I'll send you some addresses to go by.

I think the record goes to a disco3 member that had 604 bottles in his D3 some months back Bow down

I can only manage 200+ on the return trip next week Shocked
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #1752476th Jul 2007 11:27 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

There are Swiss wines Shocked

I may venture to a bottle or two just for the comedy value 8) But essentially I shall stick to maybe just 4 cases of French , probably a dozen cases of Spanish & similar Italian Then a load of Desperado's when I get back to France Very Happy

Should last us til Christmas..... Embarassed
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #1752516th Jul 2007 11:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >