DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Disco3 niggles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
beelstar

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Disco3 niggles

Morning all

This is my first foray into the world of forums and also into Land Rover ownership so please bear with me and apologies for the slightly lenghty post...

I just bought my first ever Land Rover Thumbs Up Why it's taken so long I don't know - it's great, I love it. However, two weeks in, there are a few little niggles that have come to light that I haven't managed to find any fixes for despite numerous searches on this forum (but note the first line of my post!) and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Firstly it's a 2005 (54) D3 TDV6 HSE and done nearly 90k. Here's the list of niggles I have with it...nothing major but just a little irritating.

1. Reverse mirror dip doesn't always return the mirrors to the correct position for driving forwards. Sometimes they do and sometimes not. It seems to be related to switching off the ignition / extracting the key before they have returned to their forwards position. I've stored all the memory seats for my key (btw the lazy entry is a great feature for me - my wife isn't the tallest so no more bruised knees when getting in Very Happy ) and the only way i've found is to press and hold the memory number on the seat until the mirror is back in the proper position.

2. Nearside mirror doesn't automatically fold in. I thought both sides should be power-fold mirrors and not just the driver's side one - am I wrong here?

3. The 'red button' to hangup calls on the steering wheel doesn't appear to work. Whenever I call a landline from it the call won't disconnect until I (stop first obviously, Mr Policeman Wink ) and then hangup from the phone itself.

4. Cruise control. It was working I think on the way home from picking it up and then I tried to increment the speed a little on it and the thing took off like it had been stung on the 4rse by a thousand wasps! Shocked I hit the brakes and it disengaged (phew!) but since then doesn't seem to want to work at all. I'm not sure if I'd use it much to be honest, especially as I read somewhere on this forum that it uses more fuel...

5. Suspension clunks when on rough road surfaces. They are only quiet, nothing major, I suspect this to be worn ARB or suspension bushes. I've seen the post on the spacers for the ARB mounting points so I think that's probably the best place to start.

Other than the above it's pretty much bob-on. Any advice, thoughts, info or pointers on the what I might be able to do with any of the above gratefully received!

Simon

Post #67132013th Jul 2010 10:56 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Hi and welcome
My answers below, but I'm no expert

1) Issue with Seat Memory module - was a recall a while ago - never bothered doing anything with mine - just used to press the memory button
2) Not sure they do fold automatically (but I had an SE, not an HSE - as I said - no expert))
3) No phone on mine - also I'm sure not standard on 54 plates?
4) Clock Spring failure in the steering boss? - easy enough to fix I think
5) Bushes / Ball joints / Track Rod ends - again, easy enough to fix

Suggest you get in touch with Iain Lambert (AKA TFC) - man is a wizard and is mobile for maintenance and not a million miles from West Yorks

Post #67132813th Jul 2010 11:09 am
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome to the fold...

The memory seat on mine only works if both other half and I use our own sets of keys. If other half uses my key and adjusts seat it doesn't go back to my setting next time I use the car. If that makes sense.

When I press door mirror button down to bring mirrors in, both mirrors do so, so could be an issue with your n/s. I also had issues using the dip mirrors when reversing so stopped using the feature.

Clock spring failure would cause issues with cruise control, also there is a button which brings the car to the speed that was set last time the cruise was used, which may account for the sudden accelaration!

Iain (TFC) has recently changed the ball joints on my car, worth giving him a call.
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #67134113th Jul 2010 11:42 am
beelstar

Thanks both for your valued input.

So it sounds like
1. Possible seat memory module issue. I'll try re-programming the reverse dip settings etc into each memory position for each key to see if that helps. If not I reckon I'll just turn off the dip feature and forget about it - definitely cheaper than a new memory module!
2. n/s mirror should power-fold. I might investigate further - wonder if it's been knocked in the past or something (although no external indication of this)
3. Wonder if my phone was an aftermarket fitment. If I take the steering boss apart to look at the cruise control clock spring then might be worth having a quick butchers at this too.
4. Definitely some bushing/steering linkage/ball joint issue. I'll get it checked out - might drop Iain a line in a few weeks when I'm back from my hols Thumbs Up

Thanks again for the input guys - invaluable!

Simon

Post #67173114th Jul 2010 8:52 am
geoff.

England 

simon

i have a clock spring that i took of mine it does have a fault i.e air bag light stays on but all the other functions work if you would like it to test out you cruise control its yours, may help to find the problem Thumbs Up

ps i,m at billing this weekend if that helps getting to you if you want it

Post #67173914th Jul 2010 9:07 am
beelstar

Hi Geoff. That sounds like a great idea. I'll just have to figure out how to install it without blowing myself up with the airbag Laughing I am much more used to tinkering with 1960's and 1970's motors rather than these modern, booby-trapped ones!

Unfortunately I'm not coming to Billing this weekend so I guess the good old Royal Mail would be the only option really. First off though, once I've got my EPB done (yes it broke on my test drive Shocked so I am having it fixed at their expense!), I'm going to try a hard reset to see if that clears any of these little niggles. It might just help with the mirrors issue, possibly the phone issue and who knows? If it doesn't clear it then I'll drop you a note and if you still have it maybe arrange a way of 'borrowing' it or something...

Looking at early august before the EPB issue is resolved, what with Simmonites being pretty booked up and me going on hols etc. so it may be a short while before I'm back in touch...

Thanks for all the support!

Post #67182714th Jul 2010 2:50 pm
geoff.

England 

simon

air bag removal is easy i watched wiggs do mine at hogmoor and then had to do it my self so i could install new switches , made a call to adrian who talked me through it , bingo done it . adrian aka (wiggs) is one of the most helpfull fellows i,ve ever come across and he comes from up noooorthhh Whistle Rolling with laughter

Post #67191914th Jul 2010 7:30 pm
beelstar

us Northerners are helpful don't you know

Post #67195214th Jul 2010 8:52 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I have the same with the mirror dip. If switch the D3 off before the mirror are back to the normal setting they lost position. There are 3 solutions.
1 remember to wait till they are backt to the normal position.
2. push the seat button.
3. After restarting put it in Reverse wait till the mirrors settle and then put it in Drive and they should be OK. if not see point 2.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #67197214th Jul 2010 9:17 pm
gshim

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

With regards to the phone issue.

Mine was doing the same.
Local stealer flashed software to the latest version which cured it.
It also gave me remote phone book access but as yours is a 54 it might have the earlier module which apparently cant do this trick

Post #67213415th Jul 2010 9:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
beelstar

Your issue sounds very similar to mine and first 2 suggestions work for me too.

I have, however, tried strategy 3 in your list and when I select reverse it dips the mirrors from the current position and when I then select drive it only brings them back to the previously dipped position....and repeat. Eventually the mirrors are pointing as far down as possible!

Think I'll just try to remember to let them come back up before switching off.

Post #67213515th Jul 2010 9:42 am
beelstar

gshim - interesting to hear that new software cured your phone hang up issue. That might well be worth a look in that case.

I have been reading up (on this fantastic forum) about the phonebook over bluetooth issue and I think some of the guys here have managed to flash the new software onto the old hardware and it works. I am assuming that the previous owner didn't have the module swapped out.

The only reason that main dealers seem not to be able to put the new software on the old module is that their systems won't let them even try it (it has been alleged this was to sell more modules!). I might see if I can track down the person who's managed to do it and see if that will cure my phone issue too...

Post #67213815th Jul 2010 9:47 am
beelstar

just found the thread I was reading....http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic38907.html?highlight=phonebook+over+BT&start=45

Part way down Wiggs states...
wiggs wrote:
Another 2 succesful Bluetooth upgrades done , both modules were the old type and took the latest software. No more being shafted by LR to buy new modules.

Phonebook also allows for exchange server contact to be shown ( with correct phone of course Very Happy )

So I'll probably take it down to him sometime and get the software changed. Hopefully that should cure my issue AND give me the phonebook capability. Thanks for the tip on the software update Thumbs Up

Post #67214615th Jul 2010 9:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >