Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Disco4 as a family car for 7 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
andybrad

Disco4 as a family car for 7 ?

My wife and I have 5 children, so need a 7 seater car, with the presumption that all 7 seats will be used most of the time. Although the D4 gets very good reviews as a "family car", I get the feeling that is referring to a family of 4 or 5, so I was wondering if anyone out there uses theirs as day-to-day transport for 7 and how well you find the D4 (or D3) fulfills the role ?

Although I like most things about the Disco, my reservations are :
1. Bootspace with 7 seats in use
2. Access to the rear seats by children (in other words, how well can an 8 year old manage the seat folding routine to get into the rear seats?)
3. The Disco was not primarily designed as a family car, and this probably shows in more ways than I am aware of (I already wonder why the rear headphone sockets and rear a/c have been deleted from D3 to D4 ?)

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Andy

Post #66591329th Jun 2010 12:41 am
tjp74

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

I am not sure what made you think that rear A/C has been deleted on D4. I have it on my D4. But yes, exception of 2009 builds, rear audio controls have been deleted. They only come with the $2500 US rear entertainment system.
 TJ
2010 LR4 HSE Lux Plus White/Ebony <=Sold 2012
2000 Discovery II SE7 <=Sold 2011
2010 Prius w/Solar Roof <=Sold 2011 

Post #66593329th Jun 2010 6:54 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We use it as a family of 6. The 8 year old lives in the back (where he can do least damage) and gets in fine.
The rear legroom is excellent.

Boot space is small though, as you would expect with all rear seats in use. For holidays you'll need a rack, roofbox or trailer. Not a major problem!

Your alternative would be a VW Caravelle- more boot space but a bigger vehicle.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #66593529th Jun 2010 7:03 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Andy, I've had the D3 for nearly 5 years now and often use it to carry 4 kids around. The rear is plentyfull but the system of putting the seats up and down is not perfect (far from it). As Clarkson pointed out, it is impossible for a parent to do it whilst holding a baby and some groceries. If you can live with the small amount of luggage space then its as good as anything on the market...
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #66593629th Jun 2010 7:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Be it D3 or D4, the one problem you will have is boot space. I am a family of 5 and came from a Renault Grande Espace. Even with that vehicle, there wasn't much luggage space when all 7 seats were in use.

As KL says, the only real alternative for 7 plus luggage is a VW Caravelle, Fiat thingy...etc. Friends are a family of 7 and they have had to use the VW and now the Fiat.

If holiday luggage is a problem - then you only have a couple of choices.

If holiday luggage is not a problem (ie roof box, rack etc) - then the D4 would be a good choice.

It is very comfortable in the back Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #66593729th Jun 2010 7:30 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Re the rear seat access, there is a lever under the outside edge of each of the middle row outer seats, which you can easily reach one handed and flick up - Clarkson didn't find it, and I didn't for all the time we had a D3, which almost makes me wonder if it was even there! It is definitely on the D4 though

Re boot space, unless you move up to something a lot bigger and more van like, you're going to have at least as bad a problem with all the car-based 7 seaters, e.g C8, Galaxy etc. The Disco has more useful boot space than the C8 (the split talilgate means you can ram stuff in between the lower door and the the back seats and not worry about it all exploding out when you open the boot!) and more leg room in the back row too. Back before we had even the C8 we took six to France and hired a Mercedes Vito for the week, which had loads of room - but it was bloody enormous when parking, and height limits were a problem.

Post #66594129th Jun 2010 7:46 am
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

What's the alternative - a people carrier ! ?
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #66594529th Jun 2010 7:55 am
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

One thing to remember with the middle row seat flipping is that if your other kids require kiddie seats on this row, flipping is difficult/impossible depending on the seat. When my folks are here I move one kiddie seat to the central middle seat so that one outer seat is free for flipping/access to rear. Alternative for regular 7 seat use has to be Merc Vito as previously mentioned.
 using arm rest more than rear diff  
Post #66595329th Jun 2010 8:26 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #66595629th Jun 2010 8:44 am
MogulBoy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I rented a Caravelle for a family trip once and found it to be really superb - although it's clearly fairly bus-like, they are very pleasant to drive and to be driven in.

Of course there are other options... I think the Merc is called the Viano these days and then theres the Renault Traffic, Vauxhall Vivaro etc..

Or a Disco 4 with permanent roof box and rear access ladder!

Post #66599129th Jun 2010 10:04 am
disco3kenny

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

The Disco easliy carriers 7 adults,we use a trailer for bags ,camping stuff etc Thumbs Up and pendle bike rack!

Re: the rear seat access, there is a lever under the outside edge of each of the middle row outer seats, which you can easily reach one handed and flick up we always use it,clearly marked with white arrow Very Happy

Kenny
 http://tinyurl.com/eBay-All-things-D3-Now  
Post #66599729th Jun 2010 10:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very Happy We plan to go to France ,d3 is now the vehicle to haul all possible , we are taking a Freind us ,family of 4 , plus luggage camping equipment , we have a roofbox and will take bicycles on a tow hitch trailer , I expect it to take it all in it's stride , that will be our test ,we've done it before in smaller cars so don't see why it shouldn't cope my teenager has already decided it's his spot in the back . Very Happy
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #66603929th Jun 2010 12:00 pm
disco3kenny

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Kids love the rear seats plenty of leg room play dvd......happy days! Thumbs Up
 http://tinyurl.com/eBay-All-things-D3-Now  
Post #66604929th Jun 2010 12:18 pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I may be unique on here as I have both a D4 and a VW Caravelle! In fact, the Caravelle is a 4motion version so is also 4x4, but not an offroader in the way the Disco is.

They are very different cars. The D4 has far less space in it but all the toys and abilities of a Land Rover. It is powerful, comfortable, and great to drive. The VW has loads and loads of space, and is fantastic as a people carrier as well as having lots of boot space. But it is a van derivative, and doesn't drive anything like the D4.

So you have to choose. Compromise on space and get the D4 (with a roof box) or compromise on the drive and ultimate offroading capability and get the VW.

If you do go for the VW, a 4motion version is excellent and you won't get stuck in the winter or muddy field ... within reason!
 Paul

D4 HSE Zermatt Silver / Ebony 

Post #66611429th Jun 2010 3:33 pm
andybrad

Thanks for all your replies - I am very impressed that so many have responded so quickly ! Bow down

As a few have pointed out, the main alternative, based on space, is the Caravelle. In fact, we had almost decided on a Caravelle until I drove one and felt a little underwhelmed (alright, I know it's never going to be a driver's car). They are also quite expensive and I can't help thinking the Disco feels like a much more upmarket car for about the same money (Disco XS v Caravelle Exec). However, the cold reality is that a Caravelle offers much more space and better access for 7 and their luggage. So maybe a Caravelle now and save the Disco for when the kids start leaving home !

As has been mentioned many times elsewhere, UK spec cars don't (and can't) have rear a/c, although I have no idea why, when other markets have this as standard ?

Supercharged - I am intrigued why you have a Caravelle 4motion AND a Disco 4. Although you say they are very different, they are not THAT different in the overall spectrum of cars - like say a Disco and a Mini, or a Disco and a 911. Can I enquire why you have both and what you use each one for ?

Actually, this leads me to think of another "what else do you drive" thread...

In the meantime, I am still interested to hear any more experiences of accommodating 7 in a Disco.

Andy

Post #66631029th Jun 2010 10:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >