Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

How to disconnect wiper sensor and will I get standard delay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
flinty99

England 

Alan G wrote:
Derek, if the ring is set like in the photo, second last position you get the Auto rain wipe and anything below should cancel the auto setting and give you a standard intermittent wipe, at various speeds, delay.

Click image to enlarge

I thought all this switch did was adjust the speed of the rear wiper. Not tried on my new D3 but on my old one it certainly adjusted the speed between wipes of the rear blade and made no difference to the front.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #65919510th Jun 2010 10:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

flinty99 wrote:
I thought all this switch did was adjust the speed of the rear wiper. Not tried on my new D3 but on my old one it certainly adjusted the speed between wipes of the rear blade and made no difference to the front.

Exactly the same as mine... given up trying to work it out now. Confused
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #65920610th Jun 2010 11:20 pm
ktm_525

Canada 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandLR4

Well I disconnected the rain sensor . The wiper fucnction did indeed revert to a stanrdard delay system, but.... I lost my auto headlight function. It seesm these systems are interconnected and I should have guessed since they are on the same fuse. Back to crappy rain sensor wipers. Fortunately it doesn't rain here too much.

Post #65923911th Jun 2010 2:33 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

On the D4 the rear camera is on the same fuse but mine doesn't have a rear camera so no loss.
Maybe you will have to ascertain where the rain-sensing module is located and unplug it.

Post #65931111th Jun 2010 9:33 am
ktm_525

GraemeS wrote:
On the D4 the rear camera is on the same fuse but mine doesn't have a rear camera so no loss.
Maybe you will have to ascertain where the rain-sensing module is located and unplug it.

I did unpludg the rain sensor module. It is located behind the rear view mirror. Once the module is unplugged the auto headlights also quit working. Rats.

Post #65949611th Jun 2010 6:48 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It's the same sensor module - it works for both auto-wipers and also for auto-lights.

If it breaks (or you unplug it Whistle ), both stop working Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #65953411th Jun 2010 8:16 pm
GraemeS

I don't use auto headlights (have them on all the time) so didn't spot the missed facility.

Post #65959011th Jun 2010 10:28 pm
ktm_525

GraemeS wrote:
I don't use auto headlights (have them on all the time) so didn't spot the missed facility.

I guess so do I by default as the Canadian DRLs are the xenon low breams. What the auto headlight feature does do is brighten the radio/nav controls during the day and dim them at night.

Post #65959511th Jun 2010 11:00 pm
Spooky

United Kingdom 

I too got p Censored d off with this - pulling fuse 18 from behind the glovebox sorted it, and gave me the 'normal' intermittent wipe feature instead. Wink
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #65959911th Jun 2010 11:09 pm
GraemeS

ktm_525 wrote:
What the auto headlight feature does do is brighten the radio/nav controls during the day and dim them at night.

Mine doesn't have native satnav and I have another screen in front of the little radio screen so I don't miss that either! My D4 seems to adjust instrument lighting according to ambient light so everything OK there too. I'd probably try the Canadian DRL setting if I knew I could turn it off.

Post #65962012th Jun 2010 7:08 am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

When I had a brief look through the manual it said that the dial was to adjust the sensitivity. I had read on here that they auto wipers and lights were pants, and the first day I had the car there was a little rain and they seemed ok. Had proper rain yesterday and they are shocking. The auto lights seem pants as well. They are more than happy to come on when I first leave work at 1800 when it is still day light and very warm, but as soon as it gets dark and I would put at least sidelights on manually myself they don't seem to want to come on on the auto feature!

In my BMW it has a similar dial, the very top setting is for aut wipers and anything below is manual intermittent wipers which I can adjust the speed for. A much better idea in my opinion!

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #65963812th Jun 2010 8:49 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

GTR wrote:
The wiper system can be optionally equipped with a rain/light sensor. The sensor, located below the interior rear view mirror, detects rain drops on the windscreen and automatically operates the wipers in the intermittent mode. The column stalk switch must be in the intermittent position for rain/light sensor controlled wiper operation.

The front wiper system has five stages of operation and six intermittent delay periods.

The five wiper stages are as follows:

Flick wipe
Off
Intermittent
Normal (slow) speed continuous
Fast speed continuous

The rain/light sensor contains transmitter and receiver diodes, which transmit and receive infrared light, which is directed onto the windscreen via an optical unit. The light is directed at an angle so that the light is reflected 100% on the outside surface of the screen and is transmitted back into the optical unit. To receive a 100% reflection, the outer screen surface must be clean and dry.

The rain/light sensor is active when the wiper column control switch is in the intermittent position. The rain/light sensor suspends wiper operation when the area of the windscreen for the rain/light sensor is dry and operates the wipers continuously when the windscreen is subject to heavy rainfall.

The sensitivity of the rain/light sensor can be adjusted by the driver using the intermittent rotary switch on the wiper stalk. Six sensitivity levels of the sensor can be selected, which has the effect of increasing or decreasing the wiper delay period, allow driver adjustment for the prevailing conditions. When several continuous wipe cycles have taken place, the sensor will maintain the continuous operation to avoid switching back to intermittent from a continuous wipe and back again.

The rain/light sensor receives vehicle speed information from the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) module on the Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus via the CJB. The sensor increases the sensitivity as the speed increases to optimise wiper operation. When the vehicle speed is reduced to less than 5 mph (8 km/h), the sensitivity is automatically reduced. Below this speed the wipers will only operate continuously in very heavy rain.

Remember that if you get leaves \ sufficient dust \ fly splat on the windscreen over the sensor...then that will trigger a wipe on a dry screen. It is, afterall, only a sensor that sends signals based on what it "see's"

I think both auto lights and wipers are a great system ...but you obviously can't please all the people all the time. Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #65964412th Jun 2010 9:11 am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I like having the auto lights and wipers, just wish that they were better or maybe that LR were able to adjust the sensitivity of both!

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #65964712th Jun 2010 9:14 am
GraemeS

I initially found the auto wipers satisfactory but at speeds over 100kph they went crazy, switching between excessively slow to react and frantically wiping all the time. I persisted for several rain-driving occasions even though I cursed their operation each time but in the end I took action. The blades vibrating at the end of each stroke didn't help, even though the dealer had adjusted them.

Post #65966012th Jun 2010 9:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >