Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Discovery 3 Faulty - Dealership & Landrover not interest
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Intears

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Discovery 3 Faulty - Dealership & Landrover not interest

Hi all, Was wondering if someone has similar faults with their discovery 3, and what advice you are able to give in resolving it.
I have had my Disco 3 since March 09, as new was delivered with 57 miles on it. Paid £33k and don't expect it to be faulty. Also 3rd Landie in a row to be faulty, 1st freelander developed flood in boot, 2nd freelander developed swimming pool in front passenger foot well. So thought I would get away from it and switch back to a disco but it's even worse.
These are the faults I have with it to date:
- Random chime - Dealership have changed seat sensors, Airbags, and instrument cluster, it is not to do with temperature guage. It is still random chime, problem is as there is no pattern dealership & land rover won't take it for any amount of time, i.e a month to check it out. Land Rover have sent down a tech but as nothing happened they say it's fine.
- Sat Nav is just inferior, tries to take me over a bridge I am too wide for, I was told by technician ' This is to do with the satalites telling you which route to take' which I think is incorrect as the satalites only track me as the map is on the CD in the car. Tom Tom showed us not to go that way too!
- Pump on drivers seat to lift me goes down in a day, so have to keep repumping.
- Immobiliser alarm goes off for no reason, sensor on bonnet was adjusted and there is nothing within the car to set it off.
- All the lights on my dashboard have come on whilst I am driving, stayed on for about 5 seconds then went off, no loss of power, so that is everything, handbrake, ABS, oil, battery, HDS, it was like blackpool illuminations
- Fuses for my Front fog lights have blown twice in succession, stopped changed fuse and blew again. No water inside. However whilst driving in fog, all my lights went out and then only main beam came back on. Hairy scary at 30mph.
- Does not chime when reaching cold temperatures
- Voice recognition does not work
- When I dial a number and then press the call button on the steering wheel the numbers on the radio and display in front of me are different, I was told that the button on the steering wheel is just a recall button.
- When I receive an incomming call and I press the button on the steering wheel to pick up, it just keeps ringing so I have to call the person back
Have spoken to land rover direct, and they have told me that after 3 months, it's down to me to prove the faults are there, as there is no log on the enginge management system, for any of the above faults, even though I have called the dealership whilst immobiliser is going off. However I reported the main fault with the chime 1 week after taking delivery. Dealership tried to make good will gesture which would cost us an extra £3k before christmas but becuase we could not go in and sign the paperwork when they wanted as we were away, they decided to sell it to someone else.
I have called the dealership and booked it in again, for the fog lights problem and servicing think there is an electrical fault.......
I have also been told that because I switch the engine off the engine management system will reset, and it will only log major faults. I have been advised by Land Rover to employ an independant vehicle examiner to prove that the faults are there, which I will have to pay for.
I would really like some help with this as after all of this there is no progress, I am now paranoid that my car is not really road worthy for me, my dogs, my 19 month old son and as I am 5 months pregnant, it could all end up in one big accident. Then what can I do?

Post #58122214th Jan 2010 2:03 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

....and welcome to the forum.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #58124214th Jan 2010 2:23 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Ok, read it again about 6 times and the first things that jump out: Foglights - earlier cars had problems with cabling shorting behind the bumper. If the other lights are going, it sounds more sinister/widespread. Dashboard lighting up then clearing also speaks volumes re. electrical gremlins. Dealer should be keeping your car for diagnostics, not fobbing you off. As for after 3 months you have to prove it, they clearly have no concept of the sale of good act.

Sounds like the dealer tried to help before christmas. Can't blame them for selling the car if you don't go in to see them. You're in danger of your relationship with the dealer breaking down completely and you need them on your side.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #58124914th Jan 2010 2:30 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Hi Intears!

welcome Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear about your problems - i would be looking at another dealer myself.

The fog light problem for instance is a well document problem, with a well documented fix. A search on here will give you the answer - something to do with wire chaffing around the bumper area.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #58125514th Jan 2010 2:33 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Intears,

I have had a D3 from new for coming up 2 years now. It has never been fault free from the day it was delivered and the dealer has never been able to get all the faults fixed at the same time. They seem to employ some of the worst mechanics I have ever come across and after a visit for warranty work I invariably have to put the put the car back together 'properly' myself.

Parts supply has been appalling, I have had to wait up to 10 weeks for simple warranty parts.

Now on the plus side, none of the faults have actually stopped the car being usable and the car is excellent driving across fields and in the snow.

I think owners seem to fall into two categories:

1: Ones who are happy to live with the unreliability, build quality and poor back up / parts supply because of the fantastic off road performance.

2: Ones who don't benefit enough from the off road performance to overlook the downside.

I am afraid I fall into the second category and reluctantly I am going back to a German car at the end of the month.

The guys here are generally a great bunch and will undoubtedly help you with some of the problems you are having.

BTW the navigation is just rubbish, so keep the Tom Tom!
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #58125714th Jan 2010 2:35 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

and the third category Whistle

those who have had good reliability (compared to other executive makes). I use my car every day mostly for long journeys and cant afford for it to be unusable or usafe and never been frustrated with the reliability and service issues - my dealer has always been able to fix niggling problems first time Thumbs Up

get the dealer to look at one item at a time as it sound like the volume of problems is confusing them Rolling Eyes . Some dealers by all accounts are useless, so perhaps try another - or drop a PM/email to TenForCash on this site - he will be able to trouble shoot your car and if he cant fix it then give some specific guidance to get it fixed.

I had a German car for 18 months and got rid of it for the D3. I had more problems in 60K miles and 18months than ive had in nearly 4 years in the D3..
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #58126314th Jan 2010 2:42 pm
Intears

Thanks all,
Servicing and I get on great, I can't really fault anyone there. Sales is rather a let down, the same with the dealership manager. I asked for a part exchange price after the swap fell through, incidently we had already planned to be away which they knew when they wanted us to sign for the other good will car, and we did ask them to hold it until after Christmas and we could come in. They called us first day of our holiday and told us they were selling it to someone else. Which I think is a little unfair seeing as we had waited 3 months for them to sort the paperwork out. Anyway I digress, the part exchange price is very low in comparrison to glasses guide and we were told that this is because they would have to pay for it to be looked at to have the faults fixed!
I have looked at the new Japanese model but being short the A Frame is in my line of view, the boot opens outwards and in the 7 seat version there is a lip into the boot space. None of which is very practical for 4 dogs and 2 kids.
As for usage, it varies, from towing mates out from being bogged down at shoots, to motorway driving. I started with a series 3 when I was 17 and my parents have been land rover owners for more than 20 years. At least with my series 3 and 90 I could fix most of the issues myself.

Post #58128314th Jan 2010 2:58 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes of course there is Cat 3, I guess on the forum we see everyone posting fault after fault but there are an awful lot of owners who never come near a forum and are quite happy.

I had two German cars before the D3, for 3 years each and never had one single warranty fault on either of them. I guess I was just lucky.
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #58128814th Jan 2010 3:03 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Few observations from my side:

Random chime - how random and what is frequency ? I sometimes get this but it has never shown any faults, including when it once happend when passing right by the dealer and they immediately ran a diagnostic check for me.

SatNav - never heard of a satnav accoutning for road/bridge width.. The road is there and on the maps.

Fog lights - as per ND and DD. But I thought this problem was fixed on later models...?

Cold temp - not a feature on new models. (My 2008.5 model has never done it). but the "snow flake" symbol will flash.

Voice recognition - is it fitted (only ask as you don't have electric seats, so wondering what spec you have)

Phone button on steering wheel - not uniquely a recall button. but it can perform this function. Do you pull the green button once (to activate phone); then dial; then pull green button again?

Incoming call; dashboard lights - that sounds like an issue.

Independant - you could as 10forcash (TFC). Forum member and full LR D3 indy. Or try and contact either Wiggs who can pull down fault codes using his Faultmate. Or see if any other members with a faultmate that are close to you would be willing to do you a favour to at least pull down any logged codes. With these codes you can then go back to the dealer and/or see what people think on here.

Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #58129814th Jan 2010 3:11 pm
Intears

I have an XS, I agree very strange with no electric seats.

Random chime is totally random can go days without chiming, other times 3 times a day. It is the same sound as the no seatbelt chime, but it only chimes once. Doesn't matter what speed I am doing, gear I'm in, outside temperature the lot. I have driven it with someone in the passenger seat with seatbelt on, a vacant passenger seat seatbelt off, weight on seat with no seatbelt. Totally random.

Have been told both by service and tech that it should chime when it reaches a low temperature, at 4c and 0c. It's an 09 plate. Snow flake symbol? What snowflake symbol? Could this be another fault?

Voice rec - Definately fitted, as was sold with it on as a feature.

Phone button on steering wheel you are correct as fat fingers here tends to hit menu once I have dialled the number so I use button on steering wheel instead.

My husband and I have sat down with the tech guys with the reports and the engine management system shows no faults. We have asked how they can check if there is a fault with the engine management system, but we were just told it was very unlikely.

Post #58130914th Jan 2010 3:23 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

A lot of that sounds like a wiring issue or maybe something as simple as a loose battery connection, I presume that's been checked?

Intears, please fill in your profile and tell us what spec your D3 is. Also please name the dealer, some are know to be 'a bit crap' so it'd be handy to know which one you're dealing with
 The End  
Post #58131014th Jan 2010 3:24 pm
Intears

Everytime it goes in they check battery. I get a checklist now of what they have done and a copy is also sent to Land Rover.

Post #58131314th Jan 2010 3:29 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

well I'm going to check the temp chime this evening...maybe I've just got used to it and ignore it.

Also what is (hopefully) a really silly question...but...it's an 09 plate (which is when it was registered). But when was it built...?

(just got me thinking in relation to the temp chime - as I have recently been driving a 2007 model as a replacement and that has been noticeably chiming with the temperature. Might also explain the electric seat spec difference?)
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #58131514th Jan 2010 3:30 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

AFAIK temp chime along with most of the other chimes were dropped from around 07MY. My 08 doesn't have it but my 05 did
 The End  
Post #58131714th Jan 2010 3:32 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Yup, it was deleted at 07MY

Battery may well be fine, but with all the faults I'm leaning towards JMC's favourite suggestion - a loose earth point somewhere in the car. There are a number of terminal posts where parts of the loom are returned to earth and a loose one can cause wierd and wonderful faults, including the random bongs you're getting.

If you want an independent to check it out, contact Iain (10forcash) via his website at http://www.offroad-essentials.com/ Very fair rates and very good at tracking down electrical gremlins.
Post #58132414th Jan 2010 3:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >