Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Discovery 3 Fuel burning heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kviasen

Norway 
Discovery 3 Fuel burning heater

Webasto v dosent start even when all trigger sinals tells it to start.
Outside temp minus 3 celsius, coolant temp plus 5 celsius, fuel tank full and voltage to module 12 volts.
Can bus connected and checked aprox 2,5 volt can low and can high.
Have the w bus red wire on pin 2 discovery 3 2005 so can communicate with obd tester and see live data but nothing happens no start signal to fbh.
So question is where does the fbh gets it start and go signal from is it from powertrain control module or a body control module and if that is the case i should be able to acess that module and se if a start fbh signal is sendt.
No fault codes from fbh module and i can also monitore live with my Autel obd scanner but nothing changes like glow plug on or fuel pump on.
I see a couple of hundred answers but one problem i always see is that it starts in the right direction but ends up in that someone heard his grandfather during world war 2 used a bond fire to heat his engine and it worked for him.
So even if it is funny reading its not to much help for the real problem

Regards
Kviasen

Post #219631326th Dec 2020 9:57 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just guessing here, as the fbh fires up on auto below I think 7 degc, and the dash binnacle displays the external temperature?

Post #219642926th Dec 2020 8:26 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello! Welcome

You have high expectations is see..

Kviasen wrote:

I see a couple of hundred answers but one problem i always see is that it starts in the right direction but ends up in that someone heard his grandfather during world war 2 used a bond fire to heat his engine and it worked for him.

Regards
Kviasen

I hope you are on the right forum then?

My experience here is that if people introduce themselves, are polite, invest and deliver input, they will get proper help from people who know (and don’t know ofcourse) in the end..

BUt keep in mind, that correct diagnosis from words and from a distance without having the motor/car or part itselves at hand is always difficult...

Seems indeed that it does not read the proper temperature...
Access it through the car systems can be done with IID ..... the diagnose system which will give you more specific (lr) data than a autel or other general obd device
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219645727th Dec 2020 12:40 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you have webasto diagnostics try clearing any fault codes the unit may have locked out.

Post #219647127th Dec 2020 8:15 am
Kviasen

Norway 

I can clear codes with my Autel and have done that, have also take power of for a long time to make it self reset but dosent seems to work.
Missing a temperature yes that could be a clue of course.
The Thermotop V has buildt in treshold for battery voltage and shuts of if voltage drops to much.
I think the fbh gets it start and stop signal from another module that gives the good to go signal and maybe that is from instrument cluster since this has the outside themperatur or maybe the outside themperatur is passed on to the powertrain module where it adds the coolant temp and low fuel tank level indication adds it up and send a start signal to fbh?.
I have ordered a 1533 timer to be able to test it through w- bus on the red wire on pin 2 on connector to se if the heater starts.
If it isent then the electronic card inside fbh is probably fried or someone has changed it in the past without giving it a new can adress but this would probably have given another fault code related to communication since the can bus would have a module it couldent speak to.
Heater was perfectly clean inside and glow plug works fine and so does the fuel pump.

Post #219648027th Dec 2020 9:12 am
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,
not sure of half your actually saying but my sisters, fathers, wifes, son Whistle
used the Webasto own software on a laptop to connect to our FBH (a 2006 many moons ago)
you can do a fair amount with their own software to check stuff and more details than using a 1533 remote, just a thought.

Thumbs Up

Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #219659427th Dec 2020 5:11 pm
Kviasen

Norway 

Yes i know about the webasto software and that its possible to see some more info rhat might bee helpful.
I am afraid that electronic card is toast inside fbh or as explained dont recive a start signal.
I can connect to the w bus and see if its running and if it is i will know its working but dont get a start signal through can bus from the module it should.
I would think that when i was seeing live data on the powertrain module if this is the signaling module there would be a reading saying fuel burning heater start signal true or false or something like that.

Post #219660527th Dec 2020 5:38 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Motolab wrote:
Hello! Welcome

You have high expectations is see..

Kviasen wrote:

Regards
Kviasen

I hope you are on the right forum then?

My experience here is that if people introduce themselves, are polite, invest and deliver input, they will get proper help from people who know (and don’t know ofcourse) in the end..

BUt keep in mind, that correct diagnosis from words and from a distance without having the motor/car or part itselves at hand is always difficult...

Seems indeed that it does not read the proper temperature...
Access it through the car systems can be done with IID ..... the diagnose system which will give you more specific (lr) data than a autel or other general obd device

Hi

Heard they made a book about that Rolling with laughter

Ps, hope this finds u well

Post #219661627th Dec 2020 6:32 pm
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Hey

What autel obd are you using please? Is it the ap200?

I’m currently trying (again) to get my fbh working. Have just got a second hand one that’s been seen working.

Using my autel ap200 to try access the fbh and reset

But can’t find the tab for the fbh in the app

Tia
 Disco 3 SE Manual 2005 V6 2.7
Buckley, North Wales 

Post #231141317th Oct 2022 10:50 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I don't think the Autel (any model) can access and re-set the FBH, it just seems to read that it is there.

Someone may be along to say I'm talking rubbish but I couldn't use my Autel ap2000 to re-set the FBH other than to return it to factory settings.

I think you need the Webasto software to fix issues with the fbh or contact Bodsy (site sponsor) who fitted and enabled the remote function for me. ( https://www.disco4.com/forum/topic181011-15.html )
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #231144017th Oct 2022 12:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >