Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Discovery 4 hitching to twin axle problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
littlewasp16

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

mark the spark wrote:
My elddiss twin axle will put its nose on the ground unloaded if no jockey wheel to correct it . Your set up must b very strange . How will you cope with setting up on a uneven sloping pitch? You cant have to wind the rear stabalisers up to force the nose down thats never right . Sorry if this seems like idiot advice but are you sure your not running out of travel on the jockey wheel and that the outer body is height enough in the clamp and the inner extended to allow you to get max adjustment? Or the wheel not straight and fouling on the top of the wheel as you lower ? Put the front legs down release the jockey wheel and pull the body up more thr othe clamp then wind the wheel down take the weight raise the legs and try again . Appologies if tuis sounds like egg sucking info Crying or Very sad

I think you have misunderstood ,with the jockey wheel fully off, the car has to be raised for it to go into the tow ball socket of the van, not the other way around.
unladen my van wont drop to the floor, the twin wheels make it just sit there.
I suppose if you took the weight off the jockey wheel and measured the distance to the floor and we measured ours we could tell were the problem lies.

Post #111756515th Jun 2013 11:25 am
Washwipe

England 

xyplex wrote:
Washwipe wrote:
Have you actually checked the nose weight at hitch height, I think you need to check that first Idea

The nose weight is zero as the caravan is balancing on the twin axle wheels. I tried to use a nose weight checker but because the van caravan does not tilt down and I cant measure it. Please note that when i hitch up the disco 4 pulls the caravan nose down.

I think you've answered your own question. Zero nose weight at hitch height is not good, you need nose weight, for a good stable outfit it needs to be slightly nose down. Level is not good and nose up is bad. By rights the centre of the towball should be between 350mm and 420mm. My suggestion would be put the gauge at this height and move some weight to the front to get some weight on the nose, as yours is on an Al-Ko chassis it's designed for a maximum of 100kgs on the nose.

Post #111757715th Jun 2013 11:45 am
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Washwipe wrote:
xyplex wrote:
Washwipe wrote:
Have you actually checked the nose weight at hitch height, I think you need to check that first Idea

The nose weight is zero as the caravan is balancing on the twin axle wheels. I tried to use a nose weight checker but because the van caravan does not tilt down and I cant measure it. Please note that when i hitch up the disco 4 pulls the caravan nose down.

I think you've answered your own question. Zero nose weight at hitch height is not good, you need nose weight, for a good stable outfit it needs to be slightly nose down. Level is not good and nose up is bad. By rights the centre of the towball should be between 350mm and 420mm. My suggestion would be put the gauge at this height and move some weight to the front to get some weight on the nose, as yours is on an Al-Ko chassis it's designed for a maximum of 100kgs on the nose.

The thing is that even with the caravan empty there is no nose weight and there should be some nose weight.
I carry anything very heavy in the caravan, I just have the aqua rolls and a couple of basket that weigh in total 5kg.

The caravan nose should have some nose weight and hitch should be able to point down wards when the jockey is fully retracted.

Post #111758915th Jun 2013 12:23 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

So do as we have all suggested and put nose weight gauge on it and load to 80-100kg and see what that is like Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #111759215th Jun 2013 12:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Here is a photo of my caravan while it is hitched and the car is pulling down the caravan hitch in this photo.

My Disco 4 is at normal ride height

Click image to enlarge

Post #111759615th Jun 2013 12:36 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Have you tried setting the nose weight to 80-100kg as we have suggested? Your van is basically the same as mine so should sit the same as mine.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #111759915th Jun 2013 12:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
xyplex

Russell wrote:
Have you tried setting the nose weight to 80-100kg as we have suggested? Your van is basically the same as mine so should sit the same as mine.

Russell do you mean I should place weights at front of the caravan and see if the nose drops down?

I am very new to caravanning and I just feel that even when the caravan leaves the factory their should be some nose weight.

Post #111760215th Jun 2013 12:56 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Use a nose weight gauge an set the nose weight to what Bailey state which from memory should be about 80-100kg, do not think it will be more than 100kg. Then see what that sits like before hitching to the car, I bet it will sit better and you will probablly not have to raise the suspension. Use the awning and heavier items laid on the floor at the front or in the front locker if you have one. With the nose weight about the 80kg mark the van will tow much better, also inflate car rear tyres to maximum before setting off.
D4 camera club 

Post #111760315th Jun 2013 1:00 pm
xyplex

Russell wrote:
Use a nose weight gauge an set the nose weight to what Bailey state which from memory should be about 80-100kg, do not think it will be more than 100kg. Then see what that sits like before hitching to the car, I bet it will sit better and you will probablly not have to raise the suspension. Use the awning and heavier items laid on the floor at the front or in the front locker if you have one. With the nose weight about the 80kg mark the van will tow much better, also inflate car rear tyres to maximum before setting off.

Russell I do have a awning the caravan has the following items:

Bedding
clothes
Utensils
Food in the fridge (Fridge is over the axle)
aquaroll, at front of caravan
tool bag at front of caravan
2x Alko Wheel locks in locker under the bed
Table and chairs carry in car boot
Battery charger/ Jump starter in back of car
Full LPG gas bottle in locker over axle
I do not have anything in the bathroom at the rear.

Thats about it

Post #111760715th Jun 2013 1:11 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Have just PM'd you give me a call. Thumbs Up
D4 camera club 

Post #111761015th Jun 2013 1:15 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Put wheel locks in front NS and OS lockers. Have you a nose weight gauge you can check the nose weight with.
D4 camera club 

Post #111761115th Jun 2013 1:17 pm
Washwipe

England 

Apart from the tool bag at the front and Aquarolls you have nothing at the front, everything else is over the axle or behind it. You need to move anything heavier towards the front Thumbs Up

Post #111761215th Jun 2013 1:19 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Our Bailey has places to secure the gas bottles in the front box. I would have two large ones in there where they are secure. Make use of the under seating storage in the living area to get the load right. You don't have to move much from back to front to adjust the balance - 10kg moved could be worth 20kg if moved to the same distance the other side of the axle.

Do watch the balance when the families clothes go into the wardrobe in the rear!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #111761415th Jun 2013 1:26 pm
xyplex

Washwipe wrote:
Apart from the tool bag at the front and Aquarolls you have nothing at the front, everything else is over the axle or behind it. You need to move anything heavier towards the front Thumbs Up

I have table and chairs in the car which I could put in the caravan at the front but part from thats it what I carry.

Post #111762115th Jun 2013 1:45 pm
Migster

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think that Russell may be right with his advice. If I were you I would contact the manufacturer and ask them for the ideal tow bar height for your van. Also ask them about the nose weight.

I would expect that they will be familiar with this type of enquiry.

Good luck
John
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/8851994@N05/sets/  
Post #111766815th Jun 2013 3:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >