Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Discovery 4 hitching to twin axle problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Discovery 4 hitching to twin axle problem

I have a discovery 4 and we have just bought a new Bailey twin axle caravan. My issue is that when I try to hitch to the caravan my cars toll ball is lower than the caravan hitch and I have to raise the car suspension to hitch up. The cars suspension then goes to normal level and thus pulling down the hitch on the caravan. I rang the caravan club technical support and they said this is not right as the caravan hitch should not be pulled down by the car, they advised me to speak to Land Rover and I put a call into land rover and awaiting a response.

I have the factory fitted detachable land rover tow bar.

Has anybody else had this issue and is there some thing wrong with the car tow or caravan hitch?

Post #111716814th Jun 2013 4:41 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds like you need the height adjustable fixed tow bar Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #111717014th Jun 2013 4:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zebadee

Ireland 

Have had this in the past, albeit with a twin axle trailer, rather than a caravan. The ball height of the detachable towbar was too low for my trailer to run level.

The only way to solve the issue IME is have the multi height towbar as posted above by methley, fitted. The you can have the ball fitted at the correct height to allow your caravan / trailer to run level.

Last edited by zebadee on 14th Jun 2013 5:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #111717214th Jun 2013 4:48 pm
Pelyma

England 

Why not just lower the jockey wheel Confused
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #111717614th Jun 2013 4:59 pm
al cope

England 

I tow a Bailey Olympus twin axle on the D3, with the adjustable towbar, with the ball on the bottom set of holes (as per pic), and it runs dead level (there's a pic in my galley of the 'van and car together)

Click image to enlarge

I always thought that the ball fitted at this height was the same as the removable ball height. I can measure the towball height on mine if you want, so you can check yours

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #111720114th Jun 2013 5:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think there must be something fundamentally wrong with either the suspension height of the car, or the way your presenting the caravan. I tow a twin axles Elddis and use the detachable tow bracket. There is more than enough up/down movement in the jockey wheel to hitch up with the car in normal height. Are you sure you have got the load in the caravan balanced properly? To much weight at the back will make it sit nose high.

Some pictures might help.

Post #111720214th Jun 2013 5:34 pm
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Pelyma wrote:

I have lowered the Jockey wheel fully as its a twin axle the caravan sit level with the Jockey wheel fully retracted. The nose does not come down on the caravan.

Post #111720414th Jun 2013 5:36 pm
xyplex

Gareth wrote:
I think there must be something fundamentally wrong with either the suspension height of the car, or the way your presenting the caravan. I tow a twin axles Elddis and use the detachable tow bracket. There is more than enough up/down movement in the jockey wheel to hitch up with the car in normal height. Are you sure you have got the load in the caravan balanced properly? To much weight at the back will make it sit nose high.

Some pictures might help.

I will measure from the ground to the top of the tow ball

Post #111720514th Jun 2013 5:37 pm
al cope

England 

sorry - are you saying you can raise the jockey wheel un-hitched, and the 'van sits level??

If so, that implies no nosewieght, and thats not right.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #111720714th Jun 2013 5:38 pm
Pelyma

England 

xyplex wrote:
Pelyma wrote:

I have lowered the Jockey wheel fully as its a twin axle the caravan sit level with the Jockey wheel fully retracted. The nose does not come down on the caravan.

This is my outfit below.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

This was when I used a detachable tow bar but I now use a fixed one without the plate so I can use a bike carrier. You should be able to lower the hitch on the caravan to ground level if you position the jockey wheel correctly.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #111721514th Jun 2013 5:52 pm
Chippy

England 

Bailey's are nose heavy when empty so should natural drop to the floor when unsupported. In may cases its hard to keep to. The recommended 100kg nose weight. Confused

Post #111722414th Jun 2013 6:14 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Nose weight issue I think Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #111722514th Jun 2013 6:17 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

What caravan is it, I tow a twin axle Unicorn and do not have the issues you are stating. I can in theory lower the jockey wheel right down to apoint where the hitch would be on the ground, in other words the caravan is nose heavey. This when hitched up runs dead level. Think you may well have an issue with the caravan.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #111724414th Jun 2013 7:07 pm
al cope

England 

Chippy - Thats the issue I had with our Olympus - It was really hard to get DOWN to the 100kg noseweight specified by Bailey, and the last thing I wanted to do was have loads of weight right at the back. In the end, with lightweight gas bottles, and moving loads of stuff around I got it down to 110kg and thought sod it, thats close enough.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #111724514th Jun 2013 7:16 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I had this with two previous cars (Not LRs) with the detachable tow bar. I suggest you change to the adjustable tow bar and then adjust the method of carrying the bikes.

Post #111725714th Jun 2013 7:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >