Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Discovery 4 '"only normal height available"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bobbypee

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Discovery 4 '"only normal height available"

Having just bought my first Land Rover ever at the grand old age 40+ - I am asking myself why didn't I buy one of these machines before, they are a fantastic bit of kit!!!! Very Happy

Anyway - the bad bit Sad , after 6 weeks of ownership I have had my first warning light on the dash - '"only normal height available". It happened whilst I was driving home from work after approx 5 mins into the journey. The warning stayed on all the time for the journey home approx 45 mins. I then stopped and started the vehicle on my drive - no warning. My wife has taken the Disco out for shopping today and then drove around for a bit - no warning. Confused

Is this something I should be worried about? The Disco has a years warranty - it was bought from a L/R dealer in Kent - any ideas?

Thanks

Disco 4 MY11 SDV6

Post #133035427th Aug 2014 3:19 pm
disco4ever

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

your first post - welcome to the LR enthusiasts.

I surely get shot but .....D4s are as mysterious as D3s Laughing

If the car still carries a warranty I would try to get the failure codes read. Especially the air suspension is throwing up some lights on and off.

You should start getting worried when the warranty expires so yoiu have plenty of time. Rolling with laughter
 Achim

own garage certified LR tech

Disco 2 TD5 MY 2001 - gone but still driven by another owner
Defender 110 TD5 driving me bananas with all faults
Disco 3 TDV 6 HSE MY 2005 gone @280.000 km
Disco 4 SDV 6 HSE MY 2012 

Post #133036127th Aug 2014 3:34 pm
bobbypee

Thanks disco4ever Smile

No need to panic then (just yet) Laughing
 Disco 4 MY11 SDV6
Passat CC MY10 170GT 

Post #133039027th Aug 2014 4:57 pm
motolite

Australia 

one of the local members may offer to read the fault codes for you. Failing that, if it happens again get it to the dealer and let them sort it Thumbs Up

Post #133063827th Aug 2014 11:53 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Take it to the dealer they will replace the Hitachi compressor for an AMK one.
Known issue.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #133064228th Aug 2014 2:32 am
bobbypee

Thanks All Smile
 Disco 4 MY11 SDV6
Passat CC MY10 170GT 

Post #133066428th Aug 2014 8:32 am
LandyRover

United Arab Emirates 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

HI Bobbypee...

Sorry to hear your issue, but i have had the same issue with my car... did you manage to get it resolved yet...? if so id be interested to find out what the feedback was along with your resolution...?

By no means is the forthcoming a recommendation or indeed an answer to your problem, but I had the following fault code appear on my LR3 2007 V6 petrol about 6 months ago...

"suspension fault, Normal ride height only"

After a bit of googling and a scenic walk up various garden paths i came across a post about the drier unit on the air compressor... it was an interesting read... The drier unit is basically a cylinder filled with little white balls, the balls are made of a scilica gel (same stuff you get in briefcases and various leather items you buy, reason being, to keep them dry of course.... So what i deduce from this is that the air the compressor pumps into the compressed air tank must be near zero in moisture content... The issue is that over time the gel obviously becomes more and more moist, when it gets moist it clumps together and creates a choke point for the compressor and decreases the volume of air passing through into the tank... How this creates the fault i do not know, but what i do know is that i replaced the drier unit on my compressor about 6 months ago and i haven't had any faults since... (i have one now actually tell a lie, but i believe these are unrelated, I hope Confused )

Also after changing the height on my suspension my compressor used to tick along for a good 2-3 minutes... After drier replacement this time is generally now about 60-90 seconds, which would indicate an increased flow into the tank....

I think this also could be why some people have compressor problems... basically the compressor gets over worked and burns out whereas if they just replaced the drier unit earlier (provided their car has informed them via a fault code ofcourse) they might have been able to save the compressor.... purely circumstantial of course...

Anyway, perhaps this will help you, perhaps it will help someone else........ Good to remember that these codes can in a lot of cases be caused by a number of systems or hardware malfunctioning and the only way to really troubleshoot is to plug it in and/or get under it.... Wink nice to have some info in your back pocket though....

FYI the drier unit should be about 100 quid... the compressor is about 800 quid... not sure as i pay for everything in dirhams these days....

Incidentally some garages might say this comes as a kit (the compressor does come with the drier) but i can confirm that you can buy and install the drier unit separately... There is also a relay for the compressor which is next to nothing and easily accessible in the fuse box in the engine bay.. I changed that first before i changed the drier unit, but it didn't make any difference for me....

Changing out the compressor unit is fiddlely, but actually its a pretty run of the mill job, if anyone wants any guidance on this i can provide some notes... if its of interest.... it took me about an hour to figure out how to do it, about 2 hours to get the unit off (compressor and drier) and about an hour to put it back (despite the four elastoplast plasters on my fingers from the removal phase! haha (i did say fiddley!) i think if i had to do it again i could probably do the whole job in under 2 hours....

I am no mechanic and i am no LR expert btw.... if not already obvious! logic and enthusiasm all the way! Very Happy

Cheers

Andy

Post #136081019th Oct 2014 2:33 pm
bobbypee

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply - The fault hasn't come back since (fingers are still crossed), however the battery gave up the ghost the other day, so I am hoping that the two are related.

Cheers
Rob
 Disco 4 MY11 SDV6
Passat CC MY10 170GT 

Post #136113720th Oct 2014 8:43 am
bobbypee

New compressor fitted by Guy Salmon (L/R Main Dealer) in Portsmouth. All covered by the extended warranty Very Happy

Lets wait and see........
 Disco 4 MY11 SDV6
Passat CC MY10 170GT 

Post #144565520th Mar 2015 2:11 pm
Discolove

United Kingdom 
Normal Height only

Just got my disco 4 having wanted a LR since I was 13. Had normal height only light come up. Sometimes it s on, then it goes off for a bit. Called round at the local independent of who is too busy to look for a few weeks.

Is there anyone who knows another independent in or near Bradford ?

Cheers l

Post #20900996th Oct 2019 6:07 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

In all likelihood, it's the compressor and, as above, the cure is to replace it with the much more reliable AMK one. But unless you need to lower or heighten the ride height in the meantime and all else is working fine, then the compressor you've got will most likely soldier on regardless until it's replaced.

Post #20909579th Oct 2019 3:51 pm
Discolove

United Kingdom 

Nice one, thanks mate

Post #209121410th Oct 2019 2:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >