Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Discovery 4 petrol engine options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Discovery 4 petrol engine options

Hi all... with Uncle Kevin's investment allowance, i am thinking of changing cars a year early. So, the Disco 4.. will it still have a V6 petrol engine option or are we looking at a V8 petrol?

While i wouldn't mind a V8 (except in QLD it now costs around a grand to register one) I am wondering if a D3 SE V6 petrol will become a D4 SE V8 with a $5K price increase.

Any comments or ideas?

Cheers

Mark T
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #49970925th Jul 2009 10:09 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I seem to recall comments that the petrol V6 is no more and that the options are now single turbo 2.7L TDV6, twin (sequential) turbo 3L TDV6 and normally aspirated 5L V8.

Just guessing, but maybe JLR/Tata don't want to hand Ford any more $$$ for the "Exploder" engines? Idea

Cheers,
Rob

Post #49971325th Jul 2009 10:30 am
Techo

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Some feedback from a dealer, supposedly in the know.
Models for Australia:
TDV6 - 2.7 in 5 seats can be optioned to 7
TDV6 SE 3litre - 7 seats standard - price "mid eighties"
TDV6 HSE 3 litre - pricing ??

and on the V8 front - one model only V8 HSE - all bells and whistles, fully optioned up - "higher specs than outgoing RR Vogue" were the words - and oh - the price $125,000

Pricing is expected to be officiallay confirmed in August.

I am not sure how close to the mark this is, but the sales was was confident and knowledgeable about this, and said they were already sitting on quite a few orders for the 3l model.
I did not discuss V6 so cannot comment on whether it continues or not.

Post #49998226th Jul 2009 11:23 am
MarkTaylor

Hi Techo... if the new D4 has only one petrol option that is nearly twice what I paid for the V6 petrol, then Land Rover have sold me their last car.

I don't like diesels, would love an SE petrol V8... so it might be Pajero time. It would do everything I have done in my Disco 3.

What with lower interest rates and lower prices it might put some more cash back in my pocket.. plus a 5 year warranty is a big plus.

We'll wait and see.

Cheers

Mark T
Post #50025327th Jul 2009 5:17 am
charless

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

According to the owners manuals for the D4 on the Owner info website the following applies

North American Engine Options
V8 Petrol
Capacity 5 000 cm³
Firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
Bore 92.5 mm
Stroke 93.0 mm
Number of cylinders 8
Compression ratio 11.5:1

Rest of the World
V6 Diesel (2.7L)
Capacity 2 720 cm³
Firing order 1-4-2-5-3-6
Bore 81.0 mm
Stroke 88.0 mm
Number of cylinders 6
Compression ratio 17.3:1

V6 Diesel (3.0L)
Capacity 2 993 cm³
Firing order 1-4-2-5-3-6
Bore 84.0 mm
Stroke 90.0 mm
Number of cylinders 6
Compression ratio 16:1

V6 Petrol
Capacity 3999 cm³
Firing order 1-4-2-5-3-6
Bore 100.4 mm
Stroke 84.4 mm
Number of cylinders 6
Compression ratio 9.7:1

V8 Petrol
Capacity 5 000 cm³
Firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
Bore 92.5 mm
Stroke 93.0 mm
Number of cylinders 8
Compression ratio 11.5:1

Seems like there will still be a V6, but doubt if it will be offered everywhere, most probably not.

Post #50049927th Jul 2009 7:28 pm
alowson

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Been talking to the local Brisbane dealer who have not been to helpful, and they say no petrols with the 3.0TDV6 HSE going to be $100k+. They also state a SE 2.7TDV6 is $80k+?!?!?

This is a number which scares me a bit as I am thinking of switching my RRS back to a Disco 4 when the come. Never should have gone to the RSS from a Disco 3 in the first place but that is another story. Very Happy

I suppose it depends on the spec of the HSE and SE as I am really not going to order a car without knowing the spec or the price. In the UK HSE gets you almost everything which would make the HSE here not too bad value if they included Sat Nav, PTI, etc.

Anyone got anymore info on the Australian models and options?

Cheers,

Andrew

Post #50073428th Jul 2009 10:44 am
MarkTaylor

Well.. i am currently negotiating with Australs for a run out D3 SE petrol. They tell me around $140K for the new V8 HSE.

No thanks... if I get this new D3, it wil probably be my last. I am just finding it hard to swallow a pre delivery fee of $4K.

Stay tuned.

Cheers

mark Taylor
Post #50112429th Jul 2009 5:47 am
Techo

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Mark - can I suggest checking out the Gold Coast dealer as well. My experiences are the Brisbane dealers are not a patch on the Gold Coast people. They know the real meaning of service too!!!

Post #50215231st Jul 2009 11:04 am
MarkTaylor

Well.... Australs have offered me 35K trade in on my 2.5 year old SE petrol V6, rear air and 57,000 Kilometres. This makes for more than 50% depreciation in 2.5 years. A new SE V6 with rear air is going to cost me $77k as there is negative equity in my current leased D3. At December 2010 it will have a 40% residual.. and that is looking like being a whole lot more than what it will be worth. So at this point i think i will drive her into the ground over the next 7 years. That should give me a terminal mileage of around 240,000 kms at 10 years of age.

By then it will owe me SFA.

Australs tell me the new V8 HSE will be around $140K. And entry level will now be mid 80s... A 20K jump from my V6 SE when i bought it. Unlike a lot of forumites... I don't like diesels. What I really want is another SE but with a V8 like they used to make.
Anyhow... I have had my whinge for Friday.

Cheers

Mark T
Post #50215631st Jul 2009 11:26 am
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

MarkTaylor wrote:
Well.. i am currently negotiating with Australs for a run out D3 SE petrol. They tell me around $140K for the new V8 HSE.

No thanks... if I get this new D3, it wil probably be my last. I am just finding it hard to swallow a pre delivery fee of $4K.

Stay tuned.

Cheers

mark Taylor

Mark,
If you make an enquiry via Discount New Cars (www.discountnewcars.com.au) you will get the pre-delivery from Australs for $1,995, which is the most they can charge on vehicles through Discount New Cars. There's also the approx $4k margin Australs make on the car which is "negotiable" as well. If the vehicle is in stock it's likely you'll be able to whittle that down. A quote from an interstate dealer or two might help to get them to sharpen their pencils. It worked for me when I bought my TdV6 HSE for $80k OTR.
Cheers John
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #5043396th Aug 2009 8:26 am
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

alowson wrote:
Been talking to the local Brisbane dealer who have not been to helpful, and they say no petrols with the 3.0TDV6 HSE going to be $100k+. They also state a SE 2.7TDV6 is $80k+?!?!?

This is a number which scares me a bit as I am thinking of switching my RRS back to a Disco 4 when the come. Never should have gone to the RSS from a Disco 3 in the first place but that is another story. Very Happy

I suppose it depends on the spec of the HSE and SE as I am really not going to order a car without knowing the spec or the price. In the UK HSE gets you almost everything which would make the HSE here not too bad value if they included Sat Nav, PTI, etc.

Anyone got anymore info on the Australian models and options?

Cheers,

Andrew

There will definitely be a V6 Petrol as LRA wouldn't survive without it. I have a doc from LR that confirms all the new specs globally and the V6 petrol is definite for USA and Oz. As for pricing, the UK pricing is around the same as for the D3 so expect that to be the situation here. Dealers may well be trying to scare people into buying the existing D3 stock with apocryphal stories of huge price increases on the D4. Fact is, with the pound at its current level vs the A$ the prices should be dropping, and the market won't sustain price increases as this point. What will happen is dealers will have to include their on-road costs in the quoted price so prices may appear to jump. I'm buying my new D4 in December to get the tax break and expect to pay much the same as I paid for my D3, fingers crossed Rolling Eyes
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #5043446th Aug 2009 8:35 am
MarkTaylor

Well.. since i made the decision not to buy a run out D3... i see an advert in the paper saying they now come with 19 inch wheels and a DVD player. No mention of this at Australs

I'll keep the D3 for now and look to see what happens when D4s are slow to sell. In fact there is nothing wrong with my D3.. only done around 58,000 K in 2.5 years.

In recent times I have purchased a Kawasaki KLR650 trail bike and I am preparing it for a trip to the cape next winter. As a result i spend my Saturdays riding the bike in the bush while the Land Rover stays home.

I guess the dealers need to sell D3 and D4 cars to survive.... I don't need to buy one!

We will see what happens in the fullness of time!

Cheers

Mark T
Post #5043696th Aug 2009 10:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >