Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Photos, Videos & Media

Discovery 6 Pics and info - what do we think?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
RogB

United Kingdom 

As LR is now going for luxury rather than practicality they need to drop all the fancy off road tech and just make it a road biased product with some off road ability (wet grass. light mud, medium depth puddles) rather than trying to make seriously luxurious go anywhere(ish) products which sky rockets the prices.

there was a D4 floating in a bit of flooded road near me, that my son got through the same puddle in his Tiguan.
There are far too many LR owner muppets out there who have no clue what the TR or low range or suspension buttons can do so why incorporate them into LR these days.

Make the whole range road biased, and just produce 1 or 2 products that are cheaper with less luxury but will go anywhere, do anything and tow 3.5 tons.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #235115323rd Oct 2023 10:17 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

But many people like the luxury side too - perhaps one might suggest that most like the luxury side which is why LR go that way.

What I like about the L319/L320 is that they had enough luxury without being gin palaces on wheels. I've just spec'd (for fun) an RRS SE. D300 (300bhp is enough, frankly), added some options such as low range, tow bar, full size spare, laminated glass, and a couple of others, and the price is £88k. The SE gives as standard pretty much all of the stuff I would want in a new RRS bar things like low range, tow bar and similar.

£88k today is the same as £64k in 2012 (when my current RRS would have cost about £65k to buy new). So the price is pretty much comparable and the spec is higher (new SE vs the old HSE spec). But I like the old L320's more square-cornered look (just as many prefer the old L319 to the D5's looks), the practicality of the storage under the rear seats, the rear seats that fold flat giving a proper load space, etc.. SO you can have luxury and price but also have practical - if LR are prepared to stop building McGovern's "reductive gin palaces" and just add some practicality back in to the designs.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #235115723rd Oct 2023 10:58 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This is why I think the new Land Cruiser will do well. It’s something I’m going to look at.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #235116023rd Oct 2023 11:15 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Strangely, even the new LandCruiser, which keeps body on frame design, doesn't have fold-flat rear seats. It's almost as if car designers have forgotten how to make such things work.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #235116123rd Oct 2023 11:21 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

At least they put the number plate in the middle.

Post #235116523rd Oct 2023 12:16 pm
Dave T

England 

I think they are just pricing too many people out of the market, my 2012 and 2016 D4s i bought new quite comfortably, the D5 when it came out had soared in price, now starts at £60k and defenders started at £45k when they came out, now you need at least £61k.
I'd like to think I'm on a reasonable wage but I cant afford these unless I take a PPI or do nothing else, so my next move will probably be back to BMW where at least its a bit more sensible pricing without the added RRS insurance problems.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #235116623rd Oct 2023 12:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The prices have risen in line with inflation which is fair enough. The problem is that many of our wages haven't similarly risen.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #235116723rd Oct 2023 12:47 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Discovery 6? Won't Land Rover just name it in line with the current models and call it the New New Discovery?
 2013 Orkney Grey D4 SDV6 HSE
2005 Cairns blue D3 TDV6 SE - Gone to a new home 

Post #235117523rd Oct 2023 2:08 pm
Journeyman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That image of what a Discovery 6 may look like makes a Discovery 5 look positively ‘handsome’! Rolling with laughter
 Cheers,

Jez

Discovery 3 HSE Stornaway Grey
MY 2008 2.7 TDV6

Discovery 2 2003 - gone 

Post #235118223rd Oct 2023 3:38 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Quote:
So it’s looking like Discovery is heading towards being a car for more affluent families

Rolling Eyes
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #235119123rd Oct 2023 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That looks terrible imho.
Good job it’s just someone playing about with photoshop.

Pricing is a funny one.
My D3 cost its first owner about £43-45k with the options.
Run that price through an inflation calculator and that comes to about £77,607 today.
Which is just above where a D5 D300 HSE sits at £75k.

Wages haven’t kept up with inflation but since the overwhelming majority of cars are now PCP deals.
As long as the payments can be met, people will buy them.

Post #235123424th Oct 2023 8:12 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

A.J.M. - exactly so. They feel expensive (and realistically they are) but only because incomes haven't kept up with inflation. PCP hasn't helped either as it allows the disparity to be hidden to some extent.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #235123924th Oct 2023 9:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >