Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

dismantling a plane with 3 small spanners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
dismantling a plane with 3 small spanners

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45087941

Rolling with laughter This guy wasn't allowed to take his wheelchair repair kit on the plane as the tools could be used to dismantle the plane Rolling with laughter

What a bunch of morons..

Rolling Eyes
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #19714527th Aug 2018 9:45 am
James W

United Kingdom 

And yet when SWMBO had to take some refrigerated medical hypodermic syringes with her to Spain last year, in a decent-sized cool bag, packed with gel cooling packs, she was simply waved through at Liverpool despite offering all the documentation we had gone to the bother of obtaining (pointlessly). They didn't even scan or swab it.

The worst (or best?!) airport security I have ever experienced, globally, is at the Islay Airstrip, Scotland. Complete bag empty and every item laid out, wallet emptied of every card and note, every sock unraveled, insides taken out of pens, every electronic device taken out of sleeve. And it wasn't just me. I have heard since it's a bit renowned for it.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #19714697th Aug 2018 10:38 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

He should have asked for the tools to be carried by the flight crew and returned on landing.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #19714997th Aug 2018 12:08 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

He did and it was refused

Post #19715017th Aug 2018 12:11 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I you think that's bad, try getting through airport security with a portable oxygen concentrator and two oxygen cylinders Shocked

Post #19715027th Aug 2018 12:15 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

How things have changed. We brought a full sized ludicrously sharp Samurai sword on board as hand luggage on a flight from Tokyo to Paris about 20 years ago.

Post #19715047th Aug 2018 12:26 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

L319 wrote:
He did and it was refused

Ah, missed that.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #19715167th Aug 2018 12:58 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The thing with airport security is that it's outsourced* and carried out by people who are on low wages (£8-9/hr), possibly with low job security. They aren't going to go "off script" because they know full well that they'll get hung out to dry if an incident occurs. So they play the security equivalent of "computer says 'no' ".

ICTS do Belfast's security it seems and typical wages are £8-9/hr judging by jobs on their website.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #19715197th Aug 2018 1:06 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I took the misses to Paris a couple of years ago for new year, we flew from Luton, checked in online, Strolled right through the airport and onto the plane, My passport was in my pocket the whole time. It wasn't even checked when we got to Paris..

Shocked
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #19715267th Aug 2018 1:26 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I was returning from the Techno Classica in Essen via Frankfurt about 6 years ago with a friend who was carrying almost the same set of spanners he had bought there. He was given a choice, put them in the hold and miss the flight, or, put them in this contraption Sir and watch them being crunched. Sad

He refused both options telling the security guard, "I paid good money for them and will not destroy them by my own hand, you can do it if you want to" The guard said there was a risk he might use them to dismantle the plane, to which I said "its a Lufthansa for God sake, has German build quality collapsed overnight"?

I then covertly advised the security guard that my friend was incapable of changing a fuse!! To which he said "Ah, well in that case he shouldn't have them anyway, and duly posted them in the crusher Rolling with laughter

Post #19715417th Aug 2018 2:09 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Spanish customs in Tenerife insisted on x-raying our big boxes of fun (hand grenades, phos, link et al) and all our personal weapons.... presumably looking for concealed luggage or something.

That said, credit must go to a German customs man stepping over rows of neatly strapped down and rather large 1000lbs bombs before asking us what cargo we were carrying. Clearly nothing escaped his keen eye.

I did once question the crew on Delta flight as to why they had let a man on carrying a guitar. She tried to explain that they had the space whilst I was trying to point out that some nuns had also boarded and the combination did not look good. I nervously awaited the potential boarding of a sick child.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #19715547th Aug 2018 2:35 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

I did once question the crew on Delta flight as to why they had let a man on carrying a guitar. She tried to explain that they had the space whilst I was trying to point out that some nuns had also boarded and the combination did not look good. I nervously awaited the potential boarding of a sick child.

Roger, Oveur, Victor?

Post #19715647th Aug 2018 3:03 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Post #19715717th Aug 2018 3:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Easiest airport we ever flew to/from was Barra. Co pilot did the safety brief. Co Pilot unloaded the bags, and put them on the table.

On leaving, the lady who checked us in, then served us chips and a coffee, , then checked our boarding passes and opened the door to the beach runway.

Post #19715727th Aug 2018 3:17 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Erea wrote:
How things have changed. We brought a full sized ludicrously sharp Samurai sword on board as hand luggage on a flight from Tokyo to Paris about 20 years ago.

You reminded me Laughing I brought a hand-made bow and set of arrows back from Venezuela in 1995, it just went in the overhead locker. It wasn't just for show either, the tribesman had demonstrated their efficiency by skewering a chicken with them at about 25 yards. They're on the wall of my study as I type.

And we smoked all the way back for 13 hours. Seems like another world now.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #19715857th Aug 2018 3:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >