Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Dog Bars Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
John_Houghton

Germany 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Dog Bars Question

I have just got rid of a Volvo XC70 for a D4 and one thing I am missing is the Volvo fold up (into the roof) dog bars between the rear seats and the boot, does anyone know if something similar exists for the Disco ??
Thanks
John

Post #53830222nd Oct 2009 1:29 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's a semi permanent install for teh dog guard. second hand around £70-100. New is about £150 ISTR.

Can be removed ina couple of minutes, but not as convenient as the roll up pretend guards Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #53831922nd Oct 2009 1:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Only aware of two types of dog guard and they're both fixed units. The full height unit that you can get from The Large One aka Nick @ Yeovil LR or there is an aftermarket half height unit, that only covers the area from the seats to the roof, when in situ.

HIH.

Post #53832022nd Oct 2009 1:51 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I like the fold up ones on the Volvo (and VWs), but do they stop 60Kg of dogs flying into the back of your head in an accident?
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #53834522nd Oct 2009 2:22 pm
John_Houghton

Germany 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Thanks for the quick responses !!

I am not sure about the alternative solutions but the Volvo one was said to be safe for an "average" dog and would stop it coming through in a "normal" collision (that was said by a Volvo dealer !!) However we had a Giant Alaskan Malamute (65Kg) and a large German Shep (40Kg) in the back of our all the time so thankfully we never got to test its stopping ability Thumbs Up

I am wondering if I keep the one from my Volvo if it could be persuaded to fit somehow ........

Cheers

Post #53837622nd Oct 2009 3:07 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

IMHO, with dogs that size, be safe for not only the dogs, but the passengers (and yourself 7 just get the right dog guard. Hopefully you would never need it, but I wouldn't want to be sitting in from when that weight comes through from the back....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #53838222nd Oct 2009 3:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Dog Guard

Hi All
If Im right the dog guard on the volvo folds up against the roof lining and is held in place with little gas struts and was a very good system, but as the guys have said landrover dont do anything like this but if you got someone to engineer a similar system I dont see why you couldnt copy the idea.
I have the full cargo barrier and it stops my 49kg German shepard getting through but is a pain if I want to carry anything that is long as I have to dismantle it
Mike

Post #53913023rd Oct 2009 10:20 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked The OEM LR Dog Guard is also branded as a CARGO BARRIER, and therefore VERY robust and heavy. To engineer something to lift the guard would not only need some serious struts and roof strengthening. It bolts to the floor/behind the seat backs and uses pressure fittings to the roof and rear windows. The roof lining also wedges the guard in.

In all, a serious strong piece of kit, to which sometimes you can purchase of ebay for a cheap price, and the fitting kit is sold seperately.

Post #53913223rd Oct 2009 10:26 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I looks like some people assumed John was referring to the fold-up netting found in some cars... my old volvo had metal bars which looked easily as strong as the LR design. Because they were half height and hinged at the roof line they could fold up and out of the way when not needed. These could also be locked down to the back of the 2nd row of seats which made them very secure. (You could also move it to just behind the front row of seats making a huge cargo area if you choose) A much better design than any of the LR offerings in my opinion.

Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #53918823rd Oct 2009 11:25 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Dog Guard

Hi All
If someone was to engineer one out of aluminium it wouldnt be that heavy and Volvos one was a brilliant idea and only half height as already said as for lifting a full height one it just wouldnt be possible theres not enough room or roof space to do that or the structural capability of any mounting position in the rear to take the weight of a steel one, but Im sure if you wanted to get a bespoke one made theres bound to be someone on here with the knowledge to design and build it.
As long as you were prepared to pay for it then its possible.
The OEM Full Height cargo barrier in fact has no connections at the windows so I dont know what youve got in yours, there are brace bars that sit against the forward pillar of the rear side windows and there is two connections behind the rear seats either side and two on the floor either side thats why its such a pain to get out and youve got to squeeze your rear load cover in there in front of the cargo barrier/dog guard so its not to practical for such a universal car

Post #53924024th Oct 2009 9:51 am
MacLeod 313

I have the OEM, thats why I stated it, its very heavy n sturdy, and yes the pressure fittings are in front of the window and on the piller

Post #53925524th Oct 2009 10:52 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

MacLeod 313 wrote:
....its very heavy
If you're a weak midget, fairly lightweight for anyone else Rolling Eyes The End  
Post #53925724th Oct 2009 10:54 am
MacLeod 313

Well who's that referring too SI, me 6ft 3in.................and last time I saw YOU were considerably smaller and dweeby than moi Wink

Post #53925824th Oct 2009 10:57 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't know what your height has got to do with anything McCloud but presumably it's not related to strength if you think the LR dog guard is heavy Confused
 The End  
Post #53926324th Oct 2009 11:30 am
MacLeod 313

Heavier than the one in SWMBO's Corsa Laughing Laughing Laughing

I mean Heavy and in construction, size/one piece/weight IMHO does limit the use of the boot area, but why would you need to haul long loads inside a D3 with the leather upholstry, thats what the ROOF is for.

A set of roof bars will suffice with a Ebay dog guard. Job done Thumbs Up

Post #53926524th Oct 2009 11:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >