Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Dog-friendly motorway stops between London and Glasgow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Dog-friendly motorway stops between London and Glasgow

We will be taking the D4 up to the Isle of Skye again his summer. Usual route is M1/M6/M74 and then either on to Stirling or up the Bonnie Banks.

For the first time we'll be doing the trip with our dog. She's a 5 month old cockerpoo and will be crated in the boot.

Are any of the service stations on the M1/M6/M74 at all dog friendly? Do any let dogs in, do any have grass areas where she can stretch her legs? Or is it better to get off the motorway, if so, any suggested stops?

We've stopped in Tarbet before which is ideal (well, was ideal when we were pre-dog, and from memory was pretty good).

Cheers

PD
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #184074725th Jul 2017 8:34 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think you'll find most have official or unofficial areas where dogs can be exercised for 10 minutes.

The only one I'd particularly recommend (for humans as well) is Tebay services on the M6 in Cumbria.

Post #184075625th Jul 2017 8:57 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

think once you get past the lakes the services are better and also the chance to get off on side roads for a break...

Post #184077825th Jul 2017 9:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hamilton services just south of Glasgow has good grassy areas suitable for doggy rest breaks. Perth Broxden Junction is our other stop when heading north. Thumbs Up
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #184078225th Jul 2017 9:40 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Instead of services, cut off m6 and pop to kirby Lonsdale, about 5-10 mins off motorway. Go past Booths supermarket and there's a huge park by the riverside, ideal for dogs stretching their legs. Usually a burger van over the bridge, not at services prices though. Thumbs Up

Or go off motorway and pop into Shap village, more riverside walks, nice pub for bar lunch, ( sure it was dog friendly, albeit a couple of years ago ) Embarassed

Abington services have a small grass area, but don't go to the right hand side over banking if it's been raining as its always boggy. Neutral

Not too sure after that as I always cut off at Abington and head across country for Edinburgh, plenty places along that road too if you wanted to avoid going round Glasgow. Then it depends which way your going, if Stirling then north, then the way I go is Abington-Edinburgh bypass-Forth bridge-Perth-A9 to Dalwhinnie then Spean bridge then Kyle of Lochalsh.

At Perth big Tiso shop just of Inveralmond roundabout, dogs welcome in shop but not restaurant, pet shop a couple of doors away where my spaniel usually starts shoplifting.
Well it's their own fault for putting the treats at dog level Whistle Rolling with laughter

After Perth, any village/town up the A9 has plenty walking opportunities, be warned House of Bruar, enter at your wallets own peril ( the food is lovely though ) but pricey

Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #184078925th Jul 2017 9:49 pm
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Managed to reach Tebay in one go from home. Absolutely lashing with rain so poor dog got drenched, but the people had a very nice breakfast. How many motorway service stations have a proper butchers and bakers?

Next stop will be Tarbet on Loch Lommond.

Five people plus a dog and luggage on a long drive in the rain - D4 taking it all in its stride.
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #18435963rd Aug 2017 11:08 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Dog-friendly motorway stops between London and Glasgow

peteyd wrote:
We will be taking the D4 up to the Isle of Skye again his summer. Usual route is M1/M6/M74 and then either on to Stirling or up the Bonnie Banks.

For the first time we'll be doing the trip with our dog. She's a 5 month old cockerpoo and will be crated in the boot.

Are any of the service stations on the M1/M6/M74 at all dog friendly? Do any let dogs in, do any have grass areas where she can stretch her legs? Or is it better to get off the motorway, if so, any suggested stops?

We've stopped in Tarbet before which is ideal (well, was ideal when we were pre-dog, and from memory was pretty good).

Cheers

PD

is this any use

http://www.drivingwithdogs.co.uk

if u scroll down on the right hand side u will see the motorway numbers, click on which one u want

just done a screen shot

Post #18436013rd Aug 2017 11:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >