Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Don't be afraid, use it for what it's designed for....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's official! The D3 really can do off road!

Well OK, I know that the vast majority of people on this site already know and have the benefit of experiencing the full capabilities of the car, but I haven’t (yet).

Yesterday I had the pleasure of benefiting from someone else’s years of off road experience, all the thrills, spills (and punctures) of off roading before I've even got my car.

I'm not talking about a Land Rover Experience day (although I have a 1/2 day booked in January), I'm talking about the generosity of AndrewS in particular, along with Ken2463 and all the others who went for a foray on the pretext of picking up the group buy for ropes. Smile
I don't have my D3 yet, I'm not an extreme 4x4er (but there is potential... Whistle ) I just wanted a bit of a taste of the D3 capabilities without the LR paid opinions that I'm sure I'll get on the LRE.
So I drove (along with my 9 year old lad) the 45 miles or so to AndrewS gaff & it was good to meet up with a few of the people from the site who's site names get blurred with the 'real' names (whatever 'real' is Wink ).

10forCash (yes he does exist) went off to spend the day in a freezing shed with some copper wire instead of being out on the track whilst we prepared the vehicles for some off roading.
Prepare (def.) Unlock, Open D3, climb in,close door, start engine….. 

From there off to the course, with various snippets of 4x4 knowledge & advice on the car in general. All of which was the reason I went, just to find out a bit more.

Met up with dyparkes also who was on standard road wheels, which is great, because that's pretty much how mine will stay until I either get an excuse to change them, or the mileage mounts up enough to give me the ultimate excuse. Not that road wheels made that much difference for most of the course, it all coped quite admirably until the more 'rugged' or steep tracks.
Whereby Duncan uplifted his twins into a nearby Red 110 Defender to continue the day.
Just before which, we’d dropped down 'Geronimo' which was an experience, but not as memorable as the 3 minute wheel change with the help of Ken's immaculately clean airjack!
I’ve got it video’d, (as well as lots more) so just trying to reduce the file size down enough to post it somewhere!
I’ve got so much more descriptive about the day that I could ramble on about, but I’m not sure how much content you can put into a post!

So what’s the point of the post? Well a couple of things really,
A) to thank everyone (in particular Andrew) who passed their knowledge (and back seats) freely to me a mere novice
B) for the great deal on the LRE quality rope 
C) LR for producing such a capable off roader/Luxury/family/van
D) Duncan for proving that it can do Sooooo much in it’s standard form without shelling out loads of extra cash and still have immense fun!
E) For everyone who was there, a great bunch of friendly people who I know will be ready and willing to get me out when I’m stuck!
F) For all those people who have registered, but haven’t yet dared take that prized possession off road, DO IT, with plenty of challenging but safe routes, you will enjoy it, the car will be muddy but undamaged and you will Learn something new about yourself and where you can go.

Getting to sound a bit like a bad Oscar speech, but that’s what happens when you have a good day.
I then drove home in my clean car thinking mmmm… I want to drive through some mud!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #11071018th Dec 2006 12:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Great to hear that you had a good day Very Happy

...as a footnote to your encouragement to others...please ensure that you arrange adequate insurance to cover any off-roading adventures you are planning. This will allow you to have all the fun without the worry Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11071618th Dec 2006 1:24 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, NFU Direct seems to be the easiest to add it on with no questions asked from what I've found so far. Slightly more expensive, but what's £40 extra compared to £40k!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #11071718th Dec 2006 1:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Never even thought about the insurance - just thought I would not be covered off road and it was a risk to take.

I will give NFU a call when renewing.

It was a great day out I really enjoyed it, and I should just say all you non offroading Disco owners - you really should go and get it muddy, you will then know what the car is capable of if you do need to cross the odd ditch traverse a mountain or wade a river on the way to Waitrose. Laughing

-Duncan-
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #11071918th Dec 2006 1:34 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sounded like a damn good, enjoyable day out....well done all.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #11072018th Dec 2006 1:46 pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Apart from "Pay'n'Play" sites, the green-lanes that are used are public roads, so you would be covered by your regular insurance anyway..yes..?

cheers

simon

Post #11072418th Dec 2006 2:11 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

couplands wrote:
... so you would be covered by your regular insurance
anyway..yes..?

If its classified as a public road then yes .....and many organised "club" events will provide insurance as part of the fee.

It is always worth checking though Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11072718th Dec 2006 2:28 pm
Pelyma

England 

I know legally they are roads, but I reckon if you really smashed your car on a green lane they would wriggle and squirm till kingdom come. The risks are completley different (hence policies that do cover off road are more expensive) and it is not a risk that they would have factored in. Ask if you would be covered before relying on it. IMO pay a bit more and have piece of mind.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #11074618th Dec 2006 3:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Pelyma wrote:
IMO pay a bit more and have piece of mind.

Oh yes ...couldn't agree more Whistle
Post #11074818th Dec 2006 3:19 pm
SN

Pelyma wrote:
Ask if you would be covered before relying on it.

Thats what I did - and got them to make a note on their computer system that they'd agreed with me over the phone Wink remember, if it ain't written down, it was never said Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #11074918th Dec 2006 3:21 pm
COMMANDO

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
LAND ROVER EXPERIENCE

Just done the LRE at Skipton in the HSE auto and what an eye opener.This vehicle went where I would never dare to go in mine.In fact it is so good off road that it takes away the need for any skill from the driver. All you have to do is sit back and steer and the car does the rest.

Post #11075618th Dec 2006 3:45 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think that it right to a point, if you talk to the boys who have been down to North Africa, I think they found terrain that did need skill to traverse. To my mind provided you are reading the ground the car is very easy to drive and extremley capable once you understand and have faith in the electronics
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #11075918th Dec 2006 4:04 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have just confirmed with NFU re off road cover.

As long as you have permission to drive the vehicle where you are driving it and it is not part of any timed trials / race / rally etc. Then its covered.

So as long as your allowed to be there... your covered.

Post #11106519th Dec 2006 1:38 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Pelyma wrote:
I think that it right to a point, if you talk to the boys who have been down to North Africa, I think they found terrain that did need skill to traverse.

Oh yes absolutely............no way you could sit back and let it do its thing, the terrain required TFC's absolute 100% attention. Shocked
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Last edited by Dom Harvey on 19th Dec 2006 4:24 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11107619th Dec 2006 1:59 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

TBH, apart from the sand TR, the vehicles were more than capable of traversing all the terrain without TR (but low 'box & raised suspension were definitely needed Wink ) it was more to do with driving / spotting skills than challenging the vehicles abilities... ISTR doing a few miles on foot as well Dom Razz
Tyre pressures made a big difference as did momentum, probably more so than TR. Obviously, traversing massive boulders was beyond the D3's and was the sole preserve of the boys with the tricked-up vehicles Rolling Eyes

Post #11108019th Dec 2006 2:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >