Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Don't do it here, or here, or here....

That is, don't have an accident
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8272054.stm

This article brings several questions to mind - including
Why is the fine so low compared to the cost of insurance?
How many actually get away with it
How much do their actions add to my insurance?

I'm sure the ranters around here will add to the list.......
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #52461024th Sep 2009 7:57 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

not only is the fine very low it also takes no account of how much your insurance goes up once you actually claim!!!!!

I read somewhere that 30% of our premiums covers "the great uninsured"..........

What really annoyed me when it happened to me is that not only did the culprit get away scot free in court due to "lack of evidence" but it went on my record as my fault as my insurance picked it up. Evil or Very Mad
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #52461524th Sep 2009 8:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

greater london, manchester, mersey... duh well i could have guessed that.....

it was hardly going to be the middle of bodmin moor was it..... Thud
 one wife.......livid  
Post #52461624th Sep 2009 8:22 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

People have been getting away with it for years in the cities reliant upon the relatively low risk factor of getting stopped. The tide is slowly turning though with ANPR operations set up on a daily basis now and more and more motors getting crushed 8)
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #52462024th Sep 2009 8:29 am
mzplcg

England 

I really don't uderstand why it is not attached to the Road Tax and MOT. Since the DVLA can manage to send out a SORN demand on time, why are they not ensuring that all cars with a valid tax disc are insured as well. ?? All they use are automated systems which seem to work very well when I renew my tax disc online. Why can they not run a report say once a month to find which vehicles have let their insurance lapse? Then pass the results to all the UK constabularies.

Sure there will be the one who try to avoid paying the same as avoiding road tax. The cameras tend to be their downfall though. Mobile cameras especially since they are not predictable.

But as said before, these uninsured scrotes need a bit more than 6 points and a £100 quid fine if there is to be a deterent. I personally see driving without insurance as being as serious as DD so why not a mandatory 1 year ban? Only when law enforcement is seen to be serious about it will teh perpetrators think twice. Right now it's a low chance of getting caught and even lower chance of proper punishment happening if they are caught.

Post #52462324th Sep 2009 8:37 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

How about mandatory third party insurance being required before a SORN application is granted?
Combine this with a mandatory mileage check at an MOT centre to show it's not being driven (would need something to cater for those vehicles that are only driven away from the public highways or cannot be driven). Cars that exceed 50 miles per year whilst SORNd would pay a penalty fee proportional to their excess mileage.

Ok that mostly works for all the 'good' people who are in the system...what about the other load of freeloading unwashed that haven't registered at DVLA or who are driving with cloned plates? Anything that threatens these maggots with any form of responsibility for their actions will just make them find another way; I see number plate cloning being tops. Evil or Very Mad
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #52465324th Sep 2009 9:43 am
nobbyclark

Quote:
I really don't uderstand why it is not attached to the Road Tax and MOT

I think it is; I tried to tax the Mini online last week and it said that there was no record of valid insurance to cover the next year (which there wasn't, as I hadn't renewed it yet).

However, yer average scrote who drives around without insurance, probably has no road tax either, and if they do they probably get it with a dodgy insurance certificate and dodgier MOT certificate.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #52469424th Sep 2009 10:59 am
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

nobbyclark wrote:
Quote:
I really don't uderstand why it is not attached to the Road Tax and MOT

I think it is; I tried to tax the Mini online last week and it said that there was no record of valid insurance to cover the next year (which there wasn't, as I hadn't renewed it yet).

However, yer average scrote who drives around without insurance, probably has no road tax either, and if they do they probably get it with a dodgy insurance certificate and dodgier MOT certificate.

You'd have thought that auto reg rec software + tax / MOT / insurance database + fines equivalent to more than the £amount avoided would sort this out, wouldn't you? It would even pay for hiring a bunch of people to do it, and would have far more public support than similar initiatives (speed cameras and Child Support Agency spring to mind).

I guess it would increase car cloning...which could be quite funny as there would be a good chance they'd clone a car that doesn't have any insurance either Laughing
 Andrew  
Post #52471124th Sep 2009 11:25 am
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

stapldm wrote:
How about mandatory third party insurance being required before a SORN application is granted?

SORN is a declaration that the vehicle is Stored Off the Road, and is NOT being used on the road, thus no road use insurance is needed let alone required. I think what you meant was the renewal notice that pops through the door a few weeks/days before/after your car tax expires.
I suspect you would find that a large proportion of the uninsured vehicles are also listed as "no registered keeper", so there is no address to send the demand to. Plod's recourse is to use the database to flag up such vehicles and stop them, which gives them several bites at the same offender.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #52487124th Sep 2009 4:54 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Very few things please me more than seeing all the uninsured cars being loaded on to a car transporter when Peterborough police block the ring road and ANPR everything coming through....dozens of cars last time they did it!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #52487524th Sep 2009 5:02 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It is possible to get tax without ever paying for insurance, the way to do it is buy insurance online, get the certificate, get tax and then cancel insurance.

The trouble is I suspect most people that don't have insurance don't have tax either, and possibly no licence.

It amazes me that people get caught with no licence, tax, insurance or MOT and they get £100 fine which they'll pay over 100 years and get their £50 car crushed and they get banned from driving - even though they didn't have a licence!

That's pretty cheap motoring for the year or more they get away with it.

ANPR is great, but I think we need more of them with officers rather than speed camera that are mindless instruments that cannot make informed decisions.

If people were getting done often enough and strong penalties existed then I think the problem could be massively reduced.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #52488224th Sep 2009 5:13 pm
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Exactly...as I said earlier - isn't it a question of ANPR + manpower? And wouldn't it pay for itself?
 Andrew  
Post #52488624th Sep 2009 5:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >