Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Door Latch Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
bigjohnuk

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Funny thing happened the other day. The problem went away! My problem was that the back door did not open when you unlocked off the key fob. I had to always go and press the unlock on the dash to open the door. For some stage reason the door now opens.

John

Post #36078016th Oct 2008 3:38 pm
HIGHSTAL2

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
CARGO DOOR

if the cargo door will not open try pressing both the lock/unlock buttons inside the vehicle for a few secounds. the cargo door should release. if you hear the actuator working, but it does not release, the cable is broken. call the dealer & give them the trim code so they can order the actuator & new cargo door trim panel

Post #37773223rd Nov 2008 4:06 pm
robj

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
locked front passenger door

currently have the fault described with front passenger door staying locked - it will open if interior unlock on dash + key unlocked pressed at the same time. will book it into lancaster in reading and revert...
 2006 TDV6 SE Cairns Blue & Alpaca  
Post #4481391st Apr 2009 8:02 pm
PaulnhisGirls

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I've had the front passenger door fail to open one cold morning 3years ago then nothing until this weekend the back upper tailgate refused to play ball? Tried all the usual but stangely enough when I activated either the dash button or the key fob the actuators stayed silent, accepted defete and drove home where I found all was now well again? Is this a sign of future problems?

Post #45471215th Apr 2009 7:31 pm
spottyemm

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

05 plate D3 . Drivers Door locked solid...nothing would work. JD Automotive at Northwich did a great job, parts took 2 days and they managed to reuse the door panel saving me a lot of cash as I understand sometimes you need to replace the panel.

Rubbish/DANGEROUS doors, great service from a knowledgable indie mechanic.

Post #45540316th Apr 2009 11:38 pm
PaulnhisGirls

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just had my upper tailgate latch fail locking me out the boot, replaced under warrenty, fitter told me the lamp and latch housing above the number plate was full of water and all the contacts had corode, must be rain ingrese, waded quite deep in the past but not that deep lol

Post #45894726th Apr 2009 2:13 am
quantumjohn

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Have just had this happen to me last night. Thing is it was the drivers door which really makes you look silly trying to climb across the centre tunnel.
Will try the dash button method this evening.

I take it from all the posts that LR's fix is replace the catch?

Thanks,
John

Post #45960327th Apr 2009 4:38 pm
Alun

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Faulty tailgate latch

Just over a week ago I took my Disco 3 to my dealer, Westover, in Christchurch as I could no longer open the tailgate. I experienced the problems that several others have posted.

The upper tailgate could only be opened by having someone hold down the interior release button whilst I opened the tailgate as soon as the 'whirring' commenced.

Westover replaced the latch mechanism under warranty and things seemed fine......until today when the same problem manifested itself. I was not impressed, particularly with three dogs stuck in the back. Back home to enlist the help of my wife to release the tailgate (and the dogs!).

Back to Westover on Tuesday morning.

Post #4618303rd May 2009 8:13 am
Alun

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Returned to Westover this morning. A solenoid in the door handle was replaced and all appears to be well. I was not impressed to have to return but I arrived at the garage at 0800 and was leaving at 0855 so that wasn't too bad.

Post #4629915th May 2009 6:57 pm
Sir_Tapalot

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hello
Just had this same fault with mine, replacement switch took weeks to arrive. The only way to open the tailgate in the meantime was to have one person at the back pulling on the tailgate whilst i pushed and held down for 3 seconds BOTH the lock and unlock buttons on the dashboard. Good way of meeting new people though outside B&Q ''excuse me will you pull my tailgate for me, it only takes 3 seconds''.
 06 plate tdv6s thats getting on my wick!  
Post #46759615th May 2009 10:33 am
blowpipe

England 

Had this problem on my driver's door. All other locks would operate correctly apart from this one, and I used the interim solution of centre console button/pulling door handle at the same time.

The main dealer looked at it and began by disabling the security locking option (i.e. the central locking coming on when the car moves off). It's been fine since with one recurrance, so fingers crossed....

Post #48282417th Jun 2009 11:12 am
SteveD

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Got the same tailgate prob on my 06 S, the solenoid seems to be working but is not releasing lock. How do you open the tailgate when this happens? car is just out of warranty so don't realy want to take it to dealer if poss.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Post #48361018th Jun 2009 2:27 pm
Calum555

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have just experienced the same problem with my tailgate on a 06 model which is also just out of warranty. Called out Landrover Assistance and the engineer thinks it is the catch mechanism which is sticking as the solenoid can be heard to work. He pumped a load of WD40 into the catch mechanism and advised if that didn't work then I would need to take it to the dealer and they would have to burst the trim to get at the workings. Sad to say the WD40 has not worked. I have cut into the trim on the inside of the bottom tailgate were the catch mechanism should be only to find once you get through the carpet covered hard plastic there is metal. Looks like I will need to go to the dealer unless someone has already found a solution????

All ideas welcome.
 Calum  
Post #48477921st Jun 2009 1:13 pm
SteveD

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Solved my problem yesterday. The cable that links the actuator to the lock had broke at the end. Cost £22.50 for the new part and takes about 1 hour to fit once you have opened the tailgate from inside, this is the hard part. You need to lever the carpet trim off the lower tailgate(I used bike tyre levers for this), you will only be able to lever the upper part of the trim enough to get your hand in, then you need to take off the grey foam to access the solenoid opening. You now need to push back the plastic cover of the solenoid and somehow get your hand behind it to grab the end of the cable(this bit is abit tricky) when you have the cable use long nose pliers to pull the cable and release the upper tailgate. You now have to disconnect the two cables from the lower tailgate and take off the remaining trim, this will give you clear access to the solenoid and you can fit the new latch and cable. It sounds complicated but it's quite easy. Good luck!!

Post #48491321st Jun 2009 8:27 pm
Calum555

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks Steve.....you saved me a trip to the dealer plus the extortionate rates they charge.

I found it very difficult to get to the solenoid so I cut through the outer cable (cutting through each wire one at a time) to get access to the inner cable. Once inside it took very little effort to pull the cable and open the top tailgate.

Taking of the trim, replacing the latch and putting it back together was easy compared to the trial and tribulations involved in getting the bl..dy door open!!

Thanks
 Calum  
Post #48515822nd Jun 2009 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >