Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Dover stopover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Dover stopover

We are off to Europe in August with the tintent and have booked an early morning ferry from Dover.
We are planning to set off on a Thursday evening after work & tea, arriving in Dover around midnight.
I am pondering on where I can stop for around 6hours to get the legs of the van down and get a few hours sleep.
I have seen campsite recommendations on the CC website but don't think this is suitable due to our late arrival time.
Other options I have seen are Marine Parade in Dover or the Lidle car park at Hawkinge.
Anyone local that can give confirm these places are suitable or perhaps anyone has an alternative?
Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #111590311th Jun 2013 10:03 pm
G.W.

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

There are quite a few laybys on the A20 (used for Operation Stack) and at that time of night, they ought to be fairly clear. I wouldn't have thought they'd be very secure though.

I don't think there's room for 'overnighters' at the ferry port, but I *think* (and this is dredging back through many years worth of memories) that you might be able to stop over on the hoverport side. We did it once, having just missed a late ferry. We were suggested to go out of the terminal and park there which we duly did and then missed the next ferry because we slept too well! Haven't done an early/late ferry crossing since, but then we're not coming from Yorkshire.

The close-to-Dover Caravan Club sites are quite well set up for late-night arrivals, I think. You could speak to them and explain the problem.

Depending on the time, if you got there early, might they let you on an earlier boat? That would mean you could park up at Calais (I'm assuming that's the direction you're headed) by nipping out of the terminal, round the island and back in. Legs down for a bit and set off at first light.
 "The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten." Henry Royce  
Post #111591011th Jun 2013 10:14 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

GVW when in August are you looking at, we live about 40 minutes from Dover and have a large drive you may be able to use dependant on dates, PM me if this is of any use.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #111591511th Jun 2013 10:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

It is easier to park the other side, if you can get an earlier ferry, then park in the docks at Calais Thumbs Up

Post #111598012th Jun 2013 5:21 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

marine parade or the esplanade is the road that runs along the beach between the two ports. That is usually empty and is a nice wide open road. I'm unaware of the current overnight parking restrictions but I used to park there all the time whilst on sea fishing expeditions. It may be a couple of quid but if you're only there for a few hours shut eye shouldn't be an issue!

Post #111598212th Jun 2013 6:15 am
gvw

Thanks for the info lads Bow down

Russell - many thanks for your kind offer Bow down but I wouldn't be comfortable turning up at someones house in the middle of the night as knowing my luck I'd get lost and go to the wrong house Embarassed Rolling with laughter

Post #111604912th Jun 2013 9:27 am
al cope

England 

A site called Little Satmar, just off the A20 dual carriageway about 3 or 4 miles out of Dover. Arrive late, stick your fees in an envelope and post in the information room. You need to book, but quite a nice little friendly site. I've used it a few times now for exactly the same reason.

Winehouse Lane
Capel-le-ferne
Folkestone
CT18 7JF

I know the address says folkstone, but its right by the A20 on the run into Dover (10 mins into the port)

http://www.caravansitefinder.co.uk/parks/v...liday-park

I've had enough room to park up and not had to unhitch, so get up, washed and off, no problem.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #111605612th Jun 2013 9:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cte

Wales 

Are you in the Caravan Club as their Blackhorse Farm site is very close to Dover and has ferry pitches for late arrival / early departures - you pay in advance and if you arrive out of hours your pitch number is left in an envelope in a glass case. You would have to unhitch though.
I've also driven down overnight direct to the port arriving at about 0400 hours and those lay-by's on the A20 between Folkestone and Dover were absolutely full of lorries.

Post #111730314th Jun 2013 9:12 pm
gvw

Thanks Al & CTE
I am in the CC and had initially thought of using Black Horse as I thought their ferry pitches would be setup so that you could stay hitched although you've confirmed this is not the case and I don't fancy messing about at midnight trying to get pitched up, annoying the neighbours with my cursing, slamming doors etc.
I will have a look at Little Satmar Thumbs Up

Post #111732014th Jun 2013 9:29 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

not sure whether this will help, but I stay here, off junct 18 M25, big secure carpark (cctv), decent accommodation and have staff on all the way thru the night, oh and a bar!!

http://www.chartridge.co.uk/conferences-fi...nce-centre

coz to me yer going to be really fed up with the traffic when yer come down souf and the roadworks on the south bound M25 for the next two years will add hours to yer trip Thumbs Up

Post #111733714th Jun 2013 9:45 pm
gvw

Thanks but too swish for me - maybe their car park would be ok Laughing Laughing

Post #111735814th Jun 2013 10:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >