Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

DPF?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Thank you again, and especially to you Mark.

I'd not been in touch as I thought you were on holiday. Taking the caravan away this afternoon for a long weekend. Still got the grin! You wouldn't believe the number of people who have said "what a beautiful colour". Have you got you new one yet?

Post #9175915th Apr 2012 8:23 am
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I'm am indeed away, but wifi and i-phone. Firenze Red turned up on Friday, no time to get ready before I went away! Hopefully still there when I get back!!! Glad your enjoying it.
 Gone: 2010MY 59 plate Bali Blue HSE.
Also gone : 2012MY 12 plate Firenze Red HSE.
In Bits : 2005 55plate 4.0 V8 Ibex 250s SW. 

Post #9177305th Apr 2012 2:19 pm
m00baz00

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Look at the VIN number on Disco 4 All have 17 characters such as SALXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

On the Disco 4 the eighth number denotes whether a DPF is fitted

The character will be F where the DPF is NOT fitted

The Character will be G where a DPF IS fitted.

Just for info on the Disco3 where the DPF was an option on late models

Eighth character is 6 if DPF IS fitted and 1 where the DPF is NOT fitted

Hope this helps

Post #93059311th May 2012 1:44 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Dumb question

What are the benefits of having a DPF or not?
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #93059511th May 2012 1:55 pm
m00baz00

The DPF was brought in to satisfy requirements of 'green' Euro legislation - all manufacturers have to comply. All diesels manufactured after I think sept 2009 ? had to have a dpf fitted. Basically it stores the deisel particles created by combustion in a chamber in the exhaust system. Periodically the vehcle 'regenerates' the particles by inreasing fuel combustion and effectively burning off the soot. In order to promote this burning off the vehicle has to be driven at sustained highish revs (most manufactures say about 3500 for about 20mins) about 1 x per week. If your vehicle is doing regular longish runs this of course is not a problem. The problems are created fo those drivers primarily driving in town or doing just shortish journeys. When the vehicle does't self regenerate the management system kicks in and the car goes into limp mode until you get it regenerated at the dealers. The manufacurers recognis the problem and most will undertake the first dealer regeneration at no cost to the car owner however any subsequent regenerations are down to the owner at a cost of around £300 - £600. I had a new Nissan Xtrail which had this problem and Nissan were less than helpful resulting in me part ex ing it for my current non DPF Freelander 2 which has been fault free for 2 years.

I am retired and my wife is disabled requiring regular short hops to docs and hospitals etc. The freelander or my shortly to be acquired Disco is ideal as she can slide in sidewiays rather than stooping to get in a conventional saloon plus, and its a big plus, I love Landrovers - the are the best 4x4 in my view.

In summary for regular long runs a car with DPF should be no prob but for regular round the town stuff it is a recipe for disaster. I would encourage you to look at other manufacturer/model forums all of which have derisory comments about DPFs. The legislation was brought in very quickly and the manufacturers reacted to it rather than planned for it hence they are all having problems. You can also look at the number of sites offering dpf removal and subsequent engine remapping although if you went on this path I am confident it would invalidate any warranty.

My advice to anyone doing town/stop/start motoring with irregular long runs is to buy a pre 2009 and check with the VIN to make sure you do not get one with a DPF.

Hope this all makes sense

Post #93063311th May 2012 4:30 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for that, the most comprehensive and easy to understand article I have read on the subject.
Yet another case of meddling Eurocrats who act first and think afterwards, then the consumer has to pick up the tab.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #93065911th May 2012 6:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Baz

Echo that. Very comprehensive and easy to understand

Luckily I have F in VIN so should be ok as SWMBO only uses disco for short runs

More by luck as wasn't aware there were options when we bought 2nd hand Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #93083612th May 2012 2:02 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

3500rpm is a bit high - you just need to be between 45 and 75 mph for 20 minutes. From User Manual:

DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF)
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) forms part of the emissions reduction system fitted to your vehicle. The DPF will remove a high proportion of the harmful carbon microspheres (soot) before they leave the exhaust. It achieves this by filtering out the particles, which are then stored until they are burnt away and the filter is emptied.
DPF FULL SEE HANDBOOK - If this message appears the driver should carry out the DPF regeneration procedure as soon as possible.
DPF FULL VISIT DEALER - If this message appears the vehicle should be taken to your Dealer/Authorised Repairer as soon as possible.

DPF REGENERATION PROCEDURE
The regeneration procedure produces high temperatures in the DPF. Heat can be felt radiating from beneath the vehicle, which is normal. The heat generated could be sufficient to start a fire when in close proximity to combustible material such as long dry grass, paper etc.
If DPF FULL SEE HANDBOOK appears in the message centre, carry out the following procedure.
Note: At all times during this procedure you should observe all relevant speed limits, laws, and regulations.
1. Drive the vehicle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature. The engine should not be left idling to achieve working temperature.
2. Drive the vehicle for a further twenty minutes, keeping the vehicle at a constant speed between 75 km/h (45 mph) and 120 km/h (75 mph). Note: Keeping a constant speed enables the DPF to regenerate more efficiently. It is therefore recommended that cruise control is used to achieve this, if possible.
3. If regeneration is successful the warning message will disappear. If the message remains, repeat the process. Note: If the warning message remains after following the regeneration process three times, contact your Dealer/Authorised Repairer for assistance.

Post #93087812th May 2012 5:43 pm
al cope

England 

how can I tell on my 09 D3, as I know some had DPF fitted - mine was a dealer demo, so not ordered new by me.

Cheers
Al

ignore this - just re-read the whole post and saw what I needed
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #94664925th Jun 2012 11:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

http://disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3481&pos=7 check for second box as per diagram.
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #94667825th Jun 2012 12:36 pm
m00baz00

[quote="al cope"]how can I tell on my 09 D3, as I know some had DPF fitted - mine was a dealer demo, so not ordered new by me.

Cheers
Al

Look at the VIN number on Disco 4 All have 17 characters such as SALXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

On the Disco 4 the eighth number denotes whether a DPF is fitted

The character will be F where the DPF is NOT fitted

The Character will be G where a DPF IS fitted.

Just for info on the Disco3 where the DPF was an option on late models

Eighth character is 6 if DPF IS fitted and 1 where the DPF is NOT fitted

Hope this helps

Post #94669425th Jun 2012 1:04 pm
al cope

England 

cheers guys

I did add a bit that said ignore this post, as I had re-read the bit about the D3 Vin details, and mine has a 1, so not fitted

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #94672225th Jun 2012 2:26 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

There are no G's or M's in my VIN, the 8th character is an F. So what have I got?
Neutral
and don't say a Toyota ... Shocked
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #94677725th Jun 2012 5:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >