Drawer systems in a D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco4man

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Drawer systems in a D4

Hi All.
Disco4man here,

I do have a question for the Disco 3 and 4 Forum Members.

In most of my past cars I ran a draw system as it organises your gear most efficiently and is also a great place to mount your fridge slide.
However, for all the brilliant developments that LandRover has built into the Disco why on earth would they have placed the spare tyre winch mechanism underneath the rear seats which are normally layed flat?
Even without a draw system, to remove your spare it will necessiate removing all your cargo to access the lowering mechanism, with a draw system it is a major job.
Landcruisers also have their spare mounted underneath the vehicle but use a right angle drive mechanism and a rod handle to achieve removal.
I could remove the spare and mount a long range tank and employ a rear wheel carrier but I already can carry 3 jerries on my campertrailer beside being very expensive and a pain every time I undo the tailgate.

Has anyone found a fix for this problem?

I would be most grateful to hear any solutions.
Disco4man

Post #70301913th Oct 2010 12:29 pm
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have the extra fuel tank where the spare wheel normally goes and the spare wheel carrier.
The carrier is not really too much of a problem but I have got used to keeping stuff that I use often stowed close behind the passenger seats and access it by tipping the seat forward rather than opening the back.
Regards
NSN
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #70302713th Oct 2010 12:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco4man

Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks for the response Nick I have afeeling thats what i will have to do . In Aus 82 litres on board fuel isnt enough anyway so I will probably do the same but its a pity as it could easily be fixed at build time.

Post #70303413th Oct 2010 12:54 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Still waiting for my D4 to be built, so no idea of the available space but...

...how about a small 12v winch with a relay and remote switch (Carling or similar) in order to eliminate any need to access the underfloor area? Something with a rating of 100Kg or so must be available and would be tiny (and hopefully cheap vial that well known on-line auction house...)/

Just a thought!

Post #70306713th Oct 2010 2:53 pm
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

The winch idea could work but is that not what we have with the EPB and look what problems that causes!.
NSN
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #70307013th Oct 2010 3:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

any way of making a bracket so that the spare is supported by a crossbar which goes to each chassis leg rather than the winch?

At least that way you could just release a couple of nuts/bolts and have the wheel out. Only issue would be holding in the up position while you re-attach the bar/ support, but I suppose if you are overlanding/ off roading you may have a small bottle jack or airjack with you which would sort it!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #70307713th Oct 2010 4:04 pm
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I have a Frontrunner drawer system, I remove the rear seats, about 30 mins and 8 hexnut bolts. To lower the spare I remove the rear crates from the slide and then use use a ratched to lower the spare. Works fine and with the seats removed there is plenty of additional space below the sliding crates. The rear seats can't anyway be used with a drawer system fitted.
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #70494418th Oct 2010 11:07 am
disco4man

Drawer replies

Thanks all for your replies .
Kabous you are right - I will remove the rear seats totally - make some heavy duty brackets to mount the drawer base on to and also cut a hatch out of both sides of the bottom of the drawer frame. This will give me a lot of under flooor storage space for the things that I dont need access to very often and I will also then have access to the rachet machanism with a socket handle to remove and replace the spare.

Post #70501018th Oct 2010 1:43 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Kabous some photos of the frontrunner system please?

Post #70513618th Oct 2010 6:38 pm
Kabous

It's out now, I can post some of the system removed if that's what you want? takes 6 crates on the inside slide and a fridgeslide ontop and on the driverside.
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #70601820th Oct 2010 4:59 pm
D4JWW

I like the idea of taking 3rd row seats out for water tank. Yes please kabous can provide email if that easier, would be interesting, I still thinking draw system with draws and fridge on the floor,see tanters gallery, you did not come across such a system before you went for the front runner? I have national luna 50l, for hot uk summers. Any sugestions of which sytem to go for?

Post #70610920th Oct 2010 7:53 pm
Kabous

I have the old Frontrunner drawer system(system C) that I bought from baben. You get a newer version(system F) where the fridge is on the one side kinda inside the whole thing like you refer to, and the slides for either crates or drawers on the otherside. The advantage is the frfidge will open further than with the old fridge on top version where it doesn't allow you to open the fridge too far as it is close to the roof. You can still takeout bulky things like 2lt bottles but you can't really open and pack or unpack the fridge. Have a look at www.frontrunner.co.za they have nice pictures there and if you still need mine let me know, it's stored on top of the coldroom so it's a bit of a hassle to take of Wink , maybe baben has got some pic's of it installed? I stumbled across this picture of the same setup: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...amp;pos=11
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #70627621st Oct 2010 6:54 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Here is my ORS system in my old D3:

[/img]
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #70757724th Oct 2010 1:02 am
D4JWW

Thanks. Kabous and Stonowaysa very helpfull !!

Post #70758924th Oct 2010 9:19 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

D4JWW
I fabricated a 60 Lt water tank to fit in the space below on
R.H.S where the drawers are in StornowaySA's pic, but fitted a sub
frame which stays in at all times so I can still use the load space
when the box is removed. The filler and discharge are behind the
R.H.S passenger seat, you can find some pics in my gallery.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #70801925th Oct 2010 7:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >