Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Dreaded loss of power - please help!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Landy8722

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 4
Dreaded loss of power - please help!!

Hi all, hopefully someone can help. I have a 2012 D4 102k miles on the clock. Bought second hand 6 months ago. All was fine until last month.

Started getting the ‘engine system fault’ light, followed by the loss of power. Turned car on/off again, all was fine. Didn’t think anything more about it.

Now for the last 3 weeks, the light comes on every single day, in the morning. I sometimes have to on/off the car maybe 20 times but the light eventually clears and I can drive perfectly fine again. The car continues to run absolutely fine once the light has gone, I drive sometimes 200 miles in a day and there is no issue. until it’s left overnight and happens again in the morning. And repeat.

Took it in to the garage, they said it was the inter cooler hose as it had split. Had it changed, took it home fine... until the next morning (as usual) light was back on, loss of power etc. Did my usual turn on/off a million times, car was fine. Took it back to the garage, they’re now saying it’s the turbo, and oil is leaking into it... quoted £2k

It’s worth baring in mind it has never kicked out any form of smoke, made any noise, absolutely nothing. The car literally ran like a dream once I’d managed to get the light off. I feel like even if I pay the money, I’ll get it home and the next morning the light/loss of power will return!!!

Someone help please!

Post #209274816th Oct 2019 10:37 am
Sea Raider

Are you using a garage that knows anything about land rovers?

Have you had the codes read, you need to do this otherwise you may be throwing away cash

Post #209275316th Oct 2019 10:45 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Dreaded loss of power - please help!!

Landy8722 wrote:
Hi all, hopefully someone can help. I have a 2012 D4 102k miles on the clock. Bought second hand 6 months ago. All was fine until last month.

Started getting the ‘engine system fault’ light, followed by the loss of power. Turned car on/off again, all was fine. Didn’t think anything more about it.

Now for the last 3 weeks, the light comes on every single day, in the morning. I sometimes have to on/off the car maybe 20 times but the light eventually clears and I can drive perfectly fine again. The car continues to run absolutely fine once the light has gone, I drive sometimes 200 miles in a day and there is no issue. until it’s left overnight and happens again in the morning. And repeat.

Took it in to the garage, they said it was the inter cooler hose as it had split. Had it changed, took it home fine... until the next morning (as usual) light was back on, loss of power etc. Did my usual turn on/off a million times, car was fine. Took it back to the garage, they’re now saying it’s the turbo, and oil is leaking into it... quoted £2k

It’s worth baring in mind it has never kicked out any form of smoke, made any noise, absolutely nothing. The car literally ran like a dream once I’d managed to get the light off. I feel like even if I pay the money, I’ll get it home and the next morning the light/loss of power will return!!!

Someone help please!

Get a smoke test done before you do anything else. It might well be the inlet manifold or a hole in the intercooler.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #209275516th Oct 2019 10:49 am
Landy8722

Sea Raider wrote:
Are you using a garage that knows anything about land rovers?

Have you had the codes read, you need to do this otherwise you may be throwing away cash

I was recommended this garage as my friend has used them numerous times before for his Range Rover.

The codes have been read I’ve asked to see a copy of the codes today they’re sending me via email but nothing yet. Big Cry

Post #209275916th Oct 2019 11:01 am
Landy8722

Moo wrote:
Landy8722 wrote:

Someone help please!

Get a smoke test done before you do anything else. It might well be the inlet manifold or a hole in the intercooler.

Ok great thank you - another thing I didn’t mention, although it doesn’t kick out smoke or make noise, it DOES have a really pungent smell when stationary. Obviously diesel isn’t a pleasant smell anyway but this is different. Could that be a factor?

Post #209276116th Oct 2019 11:02 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Landy8722 wrote:

Someone help please!

Remind your "professional" that the compressor (the side that "pumps" the air) will always be wet with oil because it "breathes" air and the oil recovery vapors.....

need to read the DTCs, may be is the camcover splitted (the camcover is also the inlet manifold)
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #209279616th Oct 2019 12:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landy8722

Update - thanks for everyone’s comments.

Ended up getting the car and taking it somewhere else this morning. Fault came up straight away relating to a throttle issue. The sensor I believe. £200 inc parts and labour so that’s a lot more palatable than £2k Shocked let’s hope this does the job.

Anyone know if it’s a common problem? Excuse my ignorance, this is the first Land Rover I’ve had, I was Mercedes before! Feel pretty stupid right now

Post #209308817th Oct 2019 12:38 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Your not the first or the last to feel stupid , it’s all part of Disco ownership at some point Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up keep us updated Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #209309217th Oct 2019 1:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >