Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Does yours drift to the left?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Mine pulled quite significantly to the left,new tie rod ends and the subsequent re-alignment made no difference,until I changed the front tyres 600 miles ago...then it spent a couple of weeks drifting to the right Rolling Eyes
It has now settled down,and tracks straight,suggesting, in my case at least, it was tyre related.
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8565078th Nov 2011 6:41 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
alighnment

Hi
This is a long shot but is the garage actually adjusting the tracking, this is just a thought but when I replaced the front arms on mine I had to use oxyacetlene to heat the bolts to release them before replacing them with new ones so wondered how on earth they managed to adjust anything if the bolts were totally seized its not like you can heat them without melting the bushes which would then need replaced.

Do the dealers have an alignment machine that gives a print out before and after Ive never been offered this so was just curious, as most other alignment companies give you this so you can actually see that they have done something
cheers

Post #8565238th Nov 2011 7:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

They have a machine that shows before and after. Everytime recently it is done it is within spec, but whether or not they look at it and can see whether or not it can be adjusted is another matter.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8566959th Nov 2011 9:54 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
fast track

check out this PDF for possible reasons of error....assuming you haven't bent the chassis

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...5B1%5D.pdf

also check camber not just toe front and back

If the Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) is different from side to side, it will cause a pull at very slow speeds. SAI is a nonadjustable angle, it is used with camber and the included angle to diagnose bent spindles, struts and mislocated crossmembers. i.e when blasting around Morroco... Very Happy
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #8567129th Nov 2011 10:44 am
zarnd

Thanks for that. I'm going to speak to another company who are up the road frmo where I work and they do four wheel alignment and will see if they can put it in tight tolerance mode if they can check and adjust it or if they have ever done one up there. I spoke to my local dealer last night and they are going to try and find a D3 that they have that I can try to see if that pulls to the left as well. If they all do then I will have to live with it, but it never did it at the start.

I would be surprised if I have bent the chassis as it has never been in an accident whilst I have owned it nor has it been offroad and it would have to be an almighty great big pot hole to bend a chassis and be taken at speed.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8567219th Nov 2011 11:05 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

If the steering wheel isn't straight, then it needs to be adjusted, via the track rods until straight. most 4 wheel alignement machines set the wheel in straight ahead position & then you adjust the tracking each side to get correct.
The front Castor angle has a big impact on the vehicle pulling, as does the difference side to side of camber etc.
The front lower wishbone bushes need to be in good shape, as this can cause the wheel to go back on one side slightly causing pulling.
What mileage have you done & what suspension work have you had done up til now?

If you have a printout of the readings of the four wheel alignement that might be helpful, although if the steering wheel isn't straight it means the wheel alignment needs doing corrctly again.

Regards
Steve

Post #8567609th Nov 2011 12:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

d'yer know what, got a loaner D4 SE 2012 for the next 2 days - it also drives to the left Rolling with laughter

Post #8567689th Nov 2011 12:55 pm
zarnd

SteveNorman wrote:
If the steering wheel isn't straight, then it needs to be adjusted, via the track rods until straight. most 4 wheel alignement machines set the wheel in straight ahead position & then you adjust the tracking each side to get correct.
The front Castor angle has a big impact on the vehicle pulling, as does the difference side to side of camber etc.
The front lower wishbone bushes need to be in good shape, as this can cause the wheel to go back on one side slightly causing pulling.
What mileage have you done & what suspension work have you had done up til now?

If you have a printout of the readings of the four wheel alignement that might be helpful, although if the steering wheel isn't straight it means the wheel alignment needs doing corrctly again.

Regards
Steve

Thanks for that. As far as I am aware some anti-roll bar links and nothing else. The first alignment was done at my service when I had four tyres as they were wearing abdly and it is ever since then, but have had a following three wheel alignments after that as well to try and cure the problem.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8567879th Nov 2011 1:39 pm
zarnd

I'm going to swap the wheels side to side and see if that makes a difference before I do anything else with the car. Tyres can do strange things, and in a way it would be nice if it was something simple like this that could be solved pretty easily.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8568429th Nov 2011 4:47 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Tyre wear will cause a pull, but usually because they have worn unevenly.
worth swapping side to side as you say

Regards
Steve

Post #8568649th Nov 2011 5:32 pm
zarnd

I certainly hope that if I swap them side to side that I don't suddenly pull to the right as then I will need yet another set of new tyres Sad
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8568699th Nov 2011 5:36 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think I remember, when I had mine tracked on the Hunter kit, the guy said that the D3 has to be set up to counter act the 'natural' tendency to drift towards the kerb
Whistle

Post #8569009th Nov 2011 7:00 pm
packingstrips

Guys this isnt worth grinding your teeth over, if your tyres arent wearing excessively and the adjustment is correct then leave it be. You may be able to alter it slightly by swapping/replacing tyres but it will be short lived.
If your not fighting it and it doesnt shoot across the road as soon as you let the steering go then as before let it be.

As somone else as said if the steering isnt straight then you are more likely to notice this problem...get them to set thetracking with the steering straight. If your tyres are worn on edges or nearing limits then this can make it worse....infact when tyres are nearing limits on Disco 3s they have all kind of handling issues.

Thumbs Up

Post #8569239th Nov 2011 7:42 pm
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

My 2008 HSE used to run straight for miles on a good road when on Good Year Wranglers. Now on Michelin Lattitudes, and it drifts left. I have had the tracking checked and adjusted ( I stood there while he done it ), and it is better, but not perfect. I will be checking the geometry again with my Trackrite ( one of those things that you drive over and a pointer gives an indication) to see what that says. I have used it over the last 25 years or so with total success, on less complex suspensions. My thoughts are that the rear n/s may be towing in too much, easing the back out and would give the impression that the front is heading towards the left. Exclamation Whistle

Post #8569749th Nov 2011 9:07 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just had 20's with Pirrelli zeros changed for 19's brand new grabbers and now has a slight tendancy to drift left not there before.

Not a huge issue but would think it would indicate tyres causing the deviation, not other issues.

My previous Merc had a much stronger drift to left and was told changing the wheels round would more than likley solve the problem, but sold it before trying this solution out
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #8570389th Nov 2011 11:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >