Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Does yours drift to the left?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Does yours drift to the left?

Mine does. Formost of this year my D3 has drifted to the left and my steering wheel is no longer lined up correctly. If I let go of the wheel the car goes straight away over to the pavement. I have driven in the middle of the road where it seems ok, but will drift eventually. I have tested this when driving in Europe and on the other side of the road it still drifts to the left!

I have had I think 4 alignments at the dealer, the last one said the rear wheels were slightly out of alignment which were adjusted and they said that they can only put it down to the quality of the roads. Whilst I admit that the roads aren't great, none of my other cars drift over so aggressively all the time. I am constantly holding the steering slightly to the right when I am driving it. It feels like the natural centre for the steering rack is slightly to the left if you can understand what I am getting at. The car is running on Pirelli Scropions which were new last year and I have 19 inch HSE wheels fitted.

I have never taken it off road, but am beginning to think that something is bent underneath that is not obvious which is causing the car to drift a lot. Every other time the wheel alignment has been checked it is ok and within spec, but with respect to the dealer I'm not sure whether or not they look at the figures and try and adjust it so that the car goes in a straight line.

Any comments welcome, I am going to speak to the dealer today as I just don't think it is right and will see if they have a D3 preferably with HSE wheels on that I can drive on the same bit of road by the dealer with someone from there to see what happens and get a comparison.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8562938th Nov 2011 10:34 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I have exactly the same after returning from Morocco last year ...4 workshop inspections and 3 alignments later and still no joy. It's not the tyres or wheels as I have run Scorpions on the original 19" rims, Pirelli Ice& Snow & MTR on my spare set of 19" rims and it does it with any combination.

I thought it might be the rack but apparently not ...will be getting a 2nd opinion shortly. Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8562958th Nov 2011 10:42 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How about a sticky caliper causing the brake to drag on one side?

Have you noticed any significant brake dust build-up on one wheel more than the others?
 Clive

Post #8562968th Nov 2011 10:48 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Both of my D3's have done this. Its strange how when I drive on the continent, it wanders to the right! I can only assume that its caused by the natural camber of the road.

I did swap the tyres around recently (front to rear on same side) to even out the wear, and it has improved it a little, but it still follows the camber.

I too have been through all the alignment, bushes etc, to no avail.

Post #8562988th Nov 2011 10:53 am
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
I have run Scorpions on the original 19" rims, Pirelli Ice& Snow & MTR on my spare set of 19" rims and it does it with any combination.

Maybe not for the same reason but on my D4 I recently fitted Pirelli Ice & Snow on 19" rims and it is doing exactly the same thing as you discribe. ive had the balance re-checked independantly but it's fine. The origional OEM 20" rims with Scorpions did not have this problem at all and I was wondering if it could be down to the softer compound Confused .
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #8563028th Nov 2011 11:01 am
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's a strange one , my o8 hse , does not do this , only offering a comparison do you think it's the roads itself , as when my tyres were about 4 mm , it did wander but only because they were worn and I noticed a big difference when I put new tyres on Thumbs Up No wandering about .
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #8563038th Nov 2011 11:04 am
zarnd

Has anyone tried taking the 19 inch wheels off and fitting 18's to see if that cures the problem? I've done 21,000 miles in it since last year and since May only use it if absolutely necessary as I have a company car so it sits for most of its life at the moment. I never noticed it when I was driving it everyday to and from work and at weekends, so maybe it was there but is now just more pronounced as I rarely drive it and I notice things more and more!

I'm convinced that I've maybe gone over a pot hole and something is ever so slightly bent enough to make a difference but on visual inspection is not noticeable

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8563048th Nov 2011 11:05 am
abernanteagle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

could be camber of the road. Try driving on the other side for a bit (obviously pick somewhere quiet Whistle ).
 Dec 04 TDV6 HSE in Tonga green with Alpaca interior.  
Post #8563348th Nov 2011 1:26 pm
packingstrips

Probably gonna be shot down here but here goes. I cant remember the last time i drove a D3/4 or any make come to think of it that doesnt wander to the ns to some extent. Most modern cars with parellel tracking are more prone to follow the camber of the road...its just the severity thats the issue. If you were to release the steering and it gently goes across then you have little to worry about...if however you are fighting to keep it straight or it shoots across badly then clearly you have other issues going on.

Post #8563378th Nov 2011 1:38 pm
zarnd

It coulod be the camber of the road, but it drifted to the left when I was driving in Europe in the summer. Would have thought that if it was purely camber related that it would have drifted to the right when abroad

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8563398th Nov 2011 1:45 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

highbayrack wrote:
DG wrote:
I have run Scorpions on the original 19" rims, Pirelli Ice& Snow & MTR on my spare set of 19" rims and it does it with any combination.

Maybe not for the same reason but on my D4 I recently fitted Pirelli Ice & Snow on 19" rims and it is doing exactly the same thing as you discribe. ive had the balance re-checked independantly but it's fine. The origional OEM 20" rims with Scorpions did not have this problem at all and I was wondering if it could be down to the softer compound Confused .

I don't believe it's anything to do with any of the three types of tyres that I have run on the motor since it started ...the degree of drift is the same with all.

The dealer and I have checked the brake components and there appear to be no issues.

As for road camber ....the motor was fine for the first 20 months with no such drift issues so I can't imagine that camber is an issue now.

I still have suspicons about the rack Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8563478th Nov 2011 1:57 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I think it Camber and once in the mind its hard to ignore it.....

I drive loads of D3's as they pass through and they all have the steering wheel slightly turning right as you driving on normally cambered roads. Let go and you slowly drift left.

Worth looking for a large flat Car Park (services lorry park) to test your car which should of course track straight on a level car park.....

Post #8563818th Nov 2011 3:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Guys I've been driving D3's since 2005 and driving for 27 years ...it's not camber ...though it could be my mind mind Shocked Laughing
Post #8563878th Nov 2011 3:36 pm
TC

United Kingdom 

Mine pulls left also. It doesn't though feel consistent, ie, you can drive the same road twice and get different behaviour......

Post #8564828th Nov 2011 6:01 pm
zarnd

Well at least I'm not on my own which could point to it being the camber of the road, but mine hasn't always done it and just started doing it one day.

My steering wheel is not straight and maybe if I straightened it it may help me (mentally) to forget about the drifting left issue. I spoke to the dealer who thought that if I moved it to the right one notch that it would then be too far over the other way as the splines are very large. Any thoughts?

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #8565018th Nov 2011 6:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >