Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Drivers Electric Seat - DEAD!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MrPotatoHead

Drivers Electric Seat - DEAD!

Hi,

First post on here (just bought a 56-plate Disco as a play-car...has 196K on it, but still pulls strong), but been on the Freel2 forum for a while as I also have a Freelander 2 as an every day car.

I bought the car knowing there were a few things wrong with it. Am working my way through them including changing suspension airbags, valve blocks, etc.

However, the seat is puzzling me!

It's dead...nothing works not even the heating element.

Have replaced all fuses and have lifted the seat pad and checked all the wires, and re-built the massive multi-plug (the one with all the colours) as someone had screwed the bolt too tight in the past and it had pulled the captive nut out the plastic moulding. It didn't fix the seat, but it did make the red airbag light disappear on the dash (which was nice).

One thing I inspected, but didn't pull apart was the Memory Seat Module. Might this be the issue? Could this prevent the entire seat from working?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome!

Thank you. Look forward to being a member of the forum.

Andy

P.S. there was a female connection for a plug also under there...would be nice to identify what it is for, if anyone knows?

Post #197910030th Aug 2018 10:20 am
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That unused plug raises questions.
What speck is you car? Reason I ask would there be any chance someone retrofitted that drivers seat instead of a manual seat. Does the passengers seat heat ok?

Post #197912330th Aug 2018 11:08 am
MrPotatoHead

Just an S, but had a few extra's added e.g. electric seats, heated windscreen.

Was half wondering if it was power for a Sat Nav or Multi-Disc CD changer.

Passenger seat doesn't have a plug, but it works fine (movement and heating).

Post #197912630th Aug 2018 11:12 am
Erea

If you don’t have the other end of that plug on the car side then my guess is that is not the original seat. I had manual cloth non heated seats in mine and swapped them for HSE heated electric leather. Front passenger’s worked straight away. Drivers needed some wires swapping around to get two seconds movement. But I now have this plug unused under the drivers seat... looks similar to yours Whistle

Just reread your post. Is your spare plug on the seat or on the car?
Also how many plugs plug into the seat... just the one with the bolt or a second one plugged into what I have spare

Post #197913530th Aug 2018 11:29 am
MrPotatoHead

It looks like your spare plug is exactly the same as mine.

The plug is on the car...the wires trace back to the motor, then the multi-plug, then into the car (under the carpet).

With regards to the number of plugs on the seat there are the ones which plug into the multi-plug, then the other which go into the memory module.

The spare plug in the photos look like something additional needs to plug into it to take power from the car.

So, does your seta work now, or are you still getting two seconds worth of movement?

Also, thanks for your help!

Post #197913830th Aug 2018 11:39 am
Erea

That clears it up.... disregard everything I said as I’ve a totally different setup than you. The plug I have is on the seat an is to connect to the memory on the car which I don’t have. I bypassed that on my car and it works in two second bursts. Some people have completely removed the memory module and switches when Retrofitting the seats.

At a guess is that plug for an amp?

Post #197913930th Aug 2018 11:47 am
MrPotatoHead

This is all very strange!

I can't believe that we both have the same plug, but they are set up differently.

I am going to take another look tonight and retrace the wires just to be sure (as I might be wrong!).

Thank you for your help so far Smile

Post #197916230th Aug 2018 12:45 pm
MrPotatoHead

Erea wrote:
If you don’t have the other end of that plug on the car side then my guess is that is not the original seat. I had manual cloth non heated seats in mine and swapped them for HSE heated electric leather. Front passenger’s worked straight away. Drivers needed some wires swapping around to get two seconds movement. But I now have this plug unused under the drivers seat... looks similar to yours Whistle

Just reread your post. Is your spare plug on the seat or on the car?
Also how many plugs plug into the seat... just the one with the bolt or a second one plugged into what I have spare

Hi Erea,

Sorry for the delayed response...work has totally gotten in the way of me taking another look at the seat.

I strongly believe the leather seats I have were retro-fitted, like you did. Heating doesn’t work on the drivers side nor do the seat controls, but they’re both perfectly fine on the passenger side.

Long shot...you can’t remember what wires you swapped around can you?! I’ve been in there with a multi-metre (and with my limited knowledge), and the cables from the car which look like they should carry 12V don’t, and the ones which look like they shouldn’t, do!

eg there is power to the purple connector in the multi-plug, but it goes to the back of the seat to another plug which doesn’t connect into anything! Strange.

Post #199404922nd Oct 2018 10:42 pm
Erea

I just dropped my car to my local indi for a new clutch tonight. When I get it back on Wednesday or Thursday I’ll take a look, but I only followed what found on here about swapping the wires.

Post #199405322nd Oct 2018 10:47 pm
MrPotatoHead

Thank you...will dig around Smile

Post #199405522nd Oct 2018 10:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >