Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Driver's side internal door lock won't unlock door (RHD D3)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Driver's side internal door lock won't unlock door (RHD D3)

Today I could not get out of my D3 on the drivers side (RHD) Sad I think it wanted me to drive it more than just going to work.

The inside door handle doesn't unlatch the door lock but from outside the door handle will unlatch the door lock. I left the door open and then pushed the door latch with my finger to lock it and then tried the internal door handle but that didn't open the latch however the external door handle unlocks the latch. So the lock is sort of working but maybe the internal handle's cable conenctions might have come apart. You can hear a cable doing something but maybe it has broken or fallen out.

Anyone had this problem before and what was the cause?

I'll pull off the trim tonight to have a look but in the meantime if anyone has ideas let me know.

TIA

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #16773018th Jun 2007 5:56 am
White Disco

Australia 

SHHHH! Don't let SWMBO know. You know what she said last time something went wrong. Rolling Eyes

Cheers.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #16773318th Jun 2007 6:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

I know what you mean REDDISCO.

I've hidden the last two problems from her but this one is a bit difficult to hide when you need to roll the window down to open the door from the outside.

I just built a new set of draws and need to get the cargo barrier made for it so telling her that I need to spend more money on the "lemon" won't go down too well.

I hope I can fix it tonight by sneaking off into the garage without her knowing. Shocked As long as she doesn't see me with the front door trim hanging off I'll be right to explain that I need to do some measurements for the cargo barrier.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #16773918th Jun 2007 7:29 am
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Hi Chris,
My LR3 (I know it's a left hand driver) had the same proplem with the rhd latch not opening from inside, the dealer changed the latch assembly and the problem is solved.
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #16774618th Jun 2007 8:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

My passenger door (RHD) did exactly this at Rockingham on Saturday afternoon, it actually cleared it self but I spoke to ChrisTyler about it and he thought there was some re-adjustment you could do using the unlock button on the dash - have a search on the forum
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #16774918th Jun 2007 8:21 am
Jamo

Australia 

Chris, I Mrs PCH catches you, just tell her you thought you saw a big spider go down into the door mechanism and you need to get it out so it won't bite her! Very Happy

If that doesn't work, run! Shocked
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #16775518th Jun 2007 8:37 am
PCH

I just pulled the trim off to find I can't get to the lock without removing the window regulator which is mounted to a big plate. After removing the speaker I could feel around but only just touch the lock's internal cable but that is about all I'm game to do. Pulling the window regulator out could be dangerous without knowing if the window should be in a particular position if you remove it.

Anyway it will need a Dealer visit to fix.

Chris

Post #16780718th Jun 2007 12:23 pm
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

PCH - had the same problem 2 months ago with front passenger door - nothing would open it. Dealer had to replace door latch. Wty of course. I was lucky, would have been a huge pain in the a#$e being the driver's door though!
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #16821219th Jun 2007 1:39 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You might be able to get it unlocked from the inside by pressing the unlock button on the dash while also pulling the unlock tab on the door. However this probably won't fix it permanently, though would be a handier way of getting out than having to open the window!
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #16861720th Jun 2007 12:21 pm
PCH

For the record.

My Dealer booked my D3 in today and replaced the lock which was the problem.

I'm just happy the dealer had the part available and it is fixed now.

Chris

Post #16904221st Jun 2007 8:20 am
White Disco

Australia 

Thumbs Up Good to hear Chris.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #16907421st Jun 2007 9:46 am
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

My RHD drive passenger door did the same and the dealer said it was a cable broken.

Chris

Post #17011524th Jun 2007 8:02 am
JohnD

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
RHD Driver's Door

I had the same problem with a RHD D3 at about 18 months old;

Drivers door just would not open - with me inside! Eventually had to climb over the console to make my escape & to call Land Rover Assist. They turned-up an hour or so later and immediately diagnosed the need for a dealer visit – apparently a cable end had slipped through a fixing.

Booked the car into a dealer nearby my work office and I was surprised that they had the parts in stock. Apparently the problem is not unheard of and is becoming more widespread.

Post #17034925th Jun 2007 7:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >