Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Driving to Finland - advice on vehicle prep?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
bensaunders

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Driving to Finland - advice on vehicle prep?

Morning all!

This is my first post - I've been lurking for a while and a Disco driver since 2008, and these forums have been a great source of advice, tips and tricks. I'm a polar explorer (for want of a better job description - I'm one of three in history to ski solo to the North Pole, and I hold the record for the longest solo Arctic journey by a Briton) and I'm lucky enough to be a Land Rover brand ambassador, which means they provide vehicles for me and for my team (I currently have a MY10 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE in Alaska white).

Clearly this makes me a jammy git, but Land Rover were on my dream sponsor list when I started out a decade ago, and it's taken several years of hard work to get to this point.

I'm driving to Finland next month for a wee training expedition (about ten days of skiing with sledges, 300km north of the Arctic Circle) and we're taking two TDV6 Discovery 4s by ferry from Harwich to Denmark, then driving up the east coast of Sweden to Finland, where our final port of call is a village near Enontekiö.

The average temperature there in Dec is -20 degrees c. and while I have stacks of experience camping(!) in those conditions, I've not driven there much, and any sage advice -particularly as far as preparing the vehicles goes- would be gratefully received.

Goodyear have offered winter tyres though I've yet to see if they have any for my 20" wheels (the second Disco is on 19" wheels) and I'm waiting for some local knowledge on road conditions. The cars will also be parked up for 9-10 days before we drive home again - is it worth looking at preheaters/external chargers or should they be ok? Both cars <6 months old so batteries should be in good condition.

Other things I've thought of are driving lights (it's the polar night in northern Finland so the sun doesn't come above the horizon), roof rails as we'll have skis, sledges, etc. and possibly a tow strap in case one of us stuffs it into a snowdrift.

Kit-wise we'll have clothing that's good down to -50, GPS, satphones, headtorches, tents, stoves, sleeping bags, first aid kits, food, etc. so getting caught out shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks! Very Happy
Ben (http://bensaunders.com/)

Post #71664216th Nov 2010 12:14 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

just a question / observation before a lot of advice comes your way...

Wouldn't LR be able to fully prep your vehicle up to the standard of a G4 version...? Plus provide LRE support for training and advice...? seeing as you are a brand sponsor.

Other than that, it depends on whether you will be on-road or off-road driving and what areas (in terms of nearest habitation) you will end up at.

Initial thoughts - I would say heaters (modification to remotely controll the fuel burner heater - FBH) would be worthwhile. maybe an auxilliary battery with split-charge system so you have a back-up for jump-starting in extreme cold conditions and allow you to run accessories without straining the cranking battery.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #71665416th Nov 2010 12:54 pm
bensaunders

JF Lux wrote:
Wouldn't LR be able to fully prep your vehicle up to the standard of a G4 version...? Plus provide LRE support for training and advice...? seeing as you are a brand sponsor.

In theory, yes, though I'm taking the initiative as all the powers-that-be seem to be in Los Angeles for the Auto Show (and the US Evoque launch) at the moment!

Post #71665616th Nov 2010 1:02 pm
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Not that I can offer any knowledgeable advice (sorry), but all the best with the preparations and the actual expedition....

One tip Smile Very Happy Smile get stronger fuel canisters Very Happy

Best of luck Ben....

Darren.

Post #71666816th Nov 2010 1:30 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up can i carry your bags on this one or pull you pulk for you as i am in training Whistle all i can say is have a good tripe and put plenty of photos up on here i my self next year hope to go up there may be with other people of the site Whistle be interesting to here about the driving have you got snow chains or are they supping studded tyres sorry about the questions
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #71667016th Nov 2010 1:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Do you need a support driver? I am sure we can muster a willing crew Laughing

Seriously though, your recovery gear should be comprehensive. Ropes/straps of course, but maybe include some shovels, snow chains (might need wheel spacers too), an air jack, and I would definitly be wanting one of the vehicles to have a winch.

Everything else has been done, ie auxilliary lights, roof rack systems, fridges (although I think you will have a natural one to hand)

Aux battery would be a good idea, especialy if you are running equipment when not driving, such as inverters etc.

I'm sure there will be loads of stuff you could do, and we are all very jealous 8)

Post #71667316th Nov 2010 1:35 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

Make sure your windscreen wash is super-winterised. Most UK stuff is only good to -4c.

Post #71667616th Nov 2010 1:38 pm
bensaunders

ZacSmith wrote:
Make sure your windscreen wash is super-winterised. Most UK stuff is only good to -4c.

Bingo - I hadn't thought of that yet! (In fact, scraping the ice off at a mere -3 this morning made me realise it was time to get my Censored in gear as we're off in three weeks Laughing )

I'm assuming diesel will become suitably 'winterised' as we drive up the coast of Sweden, but has anyone used additives (e.g. Waxbreaker Gold) for properly cold conditions?

Thanks everyone.

Post #71668016th Nov 2010 1:45 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i am sure fuel over there will be ok Ben very impressive Bow down Bow down Bow down
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #71668116th Nov 2010 1:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ben - did you post (quite some time ago) on the evo (magazine) forum?

Post #71668316th Nov 2010 1:58 pm
bensaunders

mik wrote:
Ben - did you post (quite some time ago) on the evo (magazine) forum?

I did, many moons ago! And on Pistonheads for a while, though I haven't posted anything there for years. In fact, even my own blog's been gathering dust since last Sept Whistle

Post #71669016th Nov 2010 2:10 pm
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Cool - the fact you've stuck in my memory means either :

a. I found your input interesting
b. I thought you were an utter c**k. Wink

Best of luck with your latest trip! Thumbs Up

Post #71669916th Nov 2010 2:23 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Heated steering wheel!!! Mr. Green

Post #71670416th Nov 2010 2:29 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

One thing regarding auxilliary lights - you might want to consider Lightforce as you can add coloured filters. Blue for driving in snow; yellow for fog. Very easy to unclip the clear covers and put coloured ones on. The LR OEM auxilliary lights are useless and not worth bothering with.

Also for recovery, some recovery tracks / sand ladders would be worthwhile. Look at the X-Trax from Bushranger as they are rubberised, roll up and therefore flexible and designed to work in snow (as well as sand).

Other ideas:

Maybe a good aircompressor (viair) if you think you will need to air-down the tyres for improved weight distribution on softer snow (don't forget the D3/4 is a very heavy vehicle).

Additional working lights (as it will be dark...) to fit externally when stopped - either with cigarette lighter plug or hard wired. You can get brackets to fit to a roof rack or magnetic base.

Add some LED light strips to the interior boot area as the internal lights are not bright enough.

Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #71670516th Nov 2010 2:31 pm
bensaunders

I fear not ticking the heated steering wheel box will come back to haunt me! (And Mik, as I'm now poncing around in a white HSE with a fridge, LED lights and 20" wheels, it could well have been the latter Mr. Green)

Post #71670716th Nov 2010 2:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >