Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Driving to Italy (Rome area) - routes and times
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
projectsalop

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Driving to Italy (Rome area) - routes and times

Thinking of driving down to Rome and coming back by Motorail from Livorno. (Unfortunately, because they don't take large vehicles, we can't take the D3 Big Cry )

Interested to hear how others have done this. We'd like to make it a comfortable drive--i.e. at least one stopover, maybe two Whistle

Any thoughts or tips on how long to allow to do this "comfortably", good or bad routes, stopover locations, etc, gratefully received. Thumbs Up
 I love the smell of FBH in the morning... The smell, you know that gasoline smell... Smells like...victory!

(With apologies to Apocalypse Now!

Post #107150514th Mar 2013 2:44 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

tempted to drive to Lake Garda myself this July/Aug.

Best thread I found on this so far is

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic38780.h...e+%2Bitaly

Google maps indicates 15 hr drive from North London and best tip above was Belgium > Lux (cheap fuel) > Munich > Innsbruck > Brenner Pass > Milan etc... No tolls, Swiss taxes etc.

Be interested in what you decide to do. No idea about stops, there might be something in the thread above.

There are various motorail options though, one from France another German. Uber pricey though and saves no time really.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #107150814th Mar 2013 2:55 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

I did a trip to Lake Como last year. Selestat in Alsace is an easy 6 hours drive from Calais. Depends how comfortable you are looking but this was very nice...

http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/search-bo...pommeraie/

After that, lunch in Andermatt, a look at the Devil's Bridge and down into Italy.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #107153814th Mar 2013 3:56 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Did the motorail from 's-Hertogenbosch in Holland to Alessandria (Italy) in September last year in the BMW as part of our honeymoon trip to Lake Como.

Yes we could have driven all the way down, but the sleeper train was an experience in its own right Smile It is not cheap though, but for us it was a lot more relaxing to sit on the train than drive all the way down in the BMW. This obviously is not such a problem in a Disco.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #107154414th Mar 2013 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Nice old BM. Thumbs Up

Post #107155214th Mar 2013 4:37 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ta Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #107155314th Mar 2013 4:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

don't miss the indoor food market in Livorno

it's outstanding Thumbs Up
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #107155814th Mar 2013 4:46 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have used the German 'Autozug' twice when going on holidays in Italy. Once to Triest, once to Bolzano.

If I may say, I have heard horror stories about the Motorail going from and especially to 's Hertogenbosch. Wagons left in the sun for a day with no a/c on, no drinks, bad food. I hope others have better experiences (especially when on honeymoon).

I find the German alternative very good. The experience of your own sleeping compartment is really a nice one. You travel along the Rhine for great amounts of time and the view varies from river to castle to towns. Very nice. We were travelling with 3 children in 2010, of 5, 3 and 1 yo. They have lots to see, can walk around, sit, etc. Better then being packed in a car for 12+ hours.

When booking, they have three classes of vehicle: <1> 1,35 and LAND ROVER. No joke. So no problem taking the Disco with them. Proof here:

The disadvantage for you is it runs from Dusseldorf instead of Den Bosch, but this is 45 min further. And it does not go as far as Livorno, I suppose your best bet would be Alessandria.

Well, my 2 cents.

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #107164914th Mar 2013 8:02 pm
JonnyL

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Hi,

Took my D3 to Lake Garda a few years back:

Day 1: Newcastle to London to stay at in laws
Day 2: London to Eurostar and then drove down through France to Offenberg in Germany(hotel Palma garden).Nice little place.
Day 3: Down to Stuttgart to visit Porsche Museum and then on to Innsbruck for overnight stay.
Day 4: Innsbruck to Bardolino at Lake Garda.

Had 2 great weeks in Garda/Verona/Venice and then had hard journey back via Switzerland to France in one day and stayed over in Reims on way back. Early start through tunnel dropped in laws off in London and short hop back to Newcastle!

disco was great really comfortable and never missed a beat!

JonnyL

Post #107174214th Mar 2013 10:48 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If driving back from Venice, would it make sense using the Mont Blanc tunnel and then north along Lyon/Dyon/Paris?

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #107186915th Mar 2013 10:31 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have driven to Italy twice. First time was to Venice in a 200tdi Disco, 3 kids on board. We took 3 days to do the journey, but bear in mind it was the late 90's and our kids were 2, 6, and 7 yrs. We stayed in Chalons in France on the first night, then drove over the Grand St Bernard pass into Italy. Second night was Milan, then onto Venice.

The following year we drove down to Naples, again took 3 (long) days in our trusty old 200tdi Disco.

In my opinion, if you are going to do a road trip, do a road trip! Make the journey part of the holiday, and allow time to enjoy the journey. There is no point in driving like your hairs on fire, trying to get there as soon as possible - you may as well fly. Find out what you want to see along the way, don't be afraid to take detours to see more stuff.

The one reason I like doing road trips is the sense of the journey you have made when you get there. Getting into an aluminium tube in Manchester, eating crap food, and getting off a couple of hours later in a warmer place has its advantages in some circumstances, but for a true feeling of travel, you have to go by road and do it all yourself.

Post #107188215th Mar 2013 10:49 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
....The one reason I like doing road trips is the sense of the journey you have made when you get there......

Done last year (september) in Jag XK...We spent 3 weeks going through France - Italy - Germany - France:
from Calais
Missed Paris..went via Riems
stayed in Dijon
then went to the Monaco boat show (had some tickets given...just awesome)
...St Tropez
then to Lake Garda...4 days realy nice weather crusing around with hood down or car
Verona spent 4 full days at Marmomacc the Verona marble & Granite exhibition (work !)
..drove north to Merano
..did the Stelvio into Switzerland..this just has to be done at least once...stunning road & scenery.
..drove back through Austria, Switzerland & into the Black Forest...went to Triborg to get a cuckoo clock
then back through Strasborg to Calais...
all done at a leisurely pace...its holiday - no rushing....except for

The XK was nicely run in...max speed was cruising at 130mph in Germany

The only thing we will do this year is get a Telpass for the tools....the Jag is very low & SWMBO isnt that tall so reaching out to deposit card or cash & get ticket wasnt her favorite task.

Almost the same trip this Sept but basing ourselves in Florence region...have stone sawing machinery to see !
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #107193015th Mar 2013 12:43 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Car trains don't make sense, for my journey at least; London - Garda. It's currently quoting Euros 1300 for a return on Autozug in Jul/Aug to basically turn an 8 hr drive from Dusseldorf to Bolzano, if that's actually where I wanted to go, into a 20 hour stretch.

Or in my case heading for Lake Garda I would pay this in order to take 23 hours to complete my journey instead of driving another 9 and a half hours and staying at a nice hotel somewhere in the Alps for a couple hundred Euros with a good nights sleep and decent breakfast followed by a relatively short drive on day 2.

Motorail/Autozug don't look like the Orient Express much, on reflection I think I'd prefer be in my Disco all that time. I drive to Scotland several times a year and if it weren't for my two passengers and my ageing bladder I would happily do it in one 6 hr stretch. D3 is the only car I've owned that I can say that for and I've had some good tourers.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #107194615th Mar 2013 1:14 pm
projectsalop

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

A quick note to thank you all for some excellent suggestions. More detailed investigation on those options to do over the weekend.

Thanks too for the links to previous threads as well. I did do a search, but I narrowed it to the Camping, Caravanning and Touring thread, and so missed the Off Topics, etc Rolling Eyes

Will post further as plans progress. Any new intelligence always welcome in the meantime, of course.

Cheers Thumbs Up
 I love the smell of FBH in the morning... The smell, you know that gasoline smell... Smells like...victory!

(With apologies to Apocalypse Now!

Post #107200715th Mar 2013 3:07 pm
Dixie Dean

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My wife and I have taken the tintent to Italy numerous times, but usually have 4 to 6 weeks to do the trip. We drive a different way each time and have variously done Brugge, Luxenbourg, Black Forest, Lake Constance, over the Alps to Bolzano in Italy (2 x 2800 metre passes), Lake Garda, then back through Switzerland, Luxembourg etc., the reverse down to Lake Garda then Florence, Rome, Tuscan coast, Mont Blanc, Annecy and straight across France to Calais.

This year we are going via Ypres, Paris, Chambery, Provence, the Rivera, the Cinque Terres (La Specia) into Tuscany, and then return via the Valais (Switzerland), Geneva and up through Luxembourg and Brugge.

If you need any info, please ask.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather, towing a Coachman VIP 575  
Post #107206815th Mar 2013 5:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >