DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Driving Light Installation (was For Sale > Driving Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
DiscoStu

England 

dickgriff wrote:
but the bumper only costs about £2.50 Stu Wink

Rolling with laughter Next you'll be telling me the lamps are only £150! Oh.....

qzdcg8 wrote:
32mm hole saw straight thru the front of mine 4 times for the nudge bar says I have Wink its not that scary honest! Smile

Shocked I'll take your word for it! Laughing
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #838068th Sep 2006 4:10 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Sorry ...did I put a '.' in there somewhere Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #838108th Sep 2006 4:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, can confirm that my lights are bolted to the Land Rover kit, which is two posts bolted to the cross member, with 54 mm holes through the bumper. The plastic bits you see in photo just hide the gubbins.

Post #838278th Sep 2006 5:57 pm
al cope

England 
Safari 5000's mounted on the grill

Guys

All this messing about is too much. I've mounted my Safari 5000's (much chunkier than the girly D3 driving lamps) straight to the grill. I've glued a 10mm thich peice of plastic behind the bottom rail where the mounting holes are to stiffen it a bit, plus used some steadies at the top of the lamps. No bounce at all. I've connected via a plug behing the grill so that the grill and lamps all come out together.

Oh, and the Safaris were only £40 for the pair from one of the other LR forums, so much cheaper than the daft money being asked for the D3 lamps.
Al

Click image to enlarge

Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #8675620th Sep 2006 1:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed

England 

Sorry to come on this late. So there is a way to attach the LR lights without drilling 2 holes in the bumper. So what parts do I need?
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #8677320th Sep 2006 1:50 pm
al cope

England 

In theory - none! It does depend on the lights you want to fit. I've used the genuine LR safari 5000's, that were sold for the earlier Disco's and Defender, and the mounting part of these enables you to fit straight to the grill (with a bit of work yourself). I dont know whether the D3 lamps have the same type of mounting. You dont drill any hole in the bumper, but do need two 10mm holes in the grill.

I also didnt bother with the wiring kit, used the old fashioned way of a relay trigger from mainbeam so that my lamps come on with mainbeam.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #8678720th Sep 2006 2:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

Looks a good solution, do the 'steadies' holding the top of the lamps come wit the safari 5000's or did you make them?
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #8742022nd Sep 2006 12:28 pm
al cope

England 

They didnt come with the lamps. They are in fact two plastic straps I already had, approx 10mm wide, couple of mm thick, and about 100mm long. They are flexible enough to curve from the lamps up under the grill openeing, but stiff enough to steady the lamp from shaking. They are not really supporting the lamp in any way (in terms of taking any weight). You can buy lamp steadies from most accessory shops.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #8742522nd Sep 2006 12:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >