DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

DRL, Corner & Fog Lights - Home made module
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
DRL, Corner & Fog Lights - Home made module

Hi All;

I wanted to get my corner lights to switch the fog lights when they are switched automatically, what I mean by that is: when I turn to the left, corner light switches-on and so the left fog light, and the same for the right hand side - simple - But Not!

Please note: this is not for profit, once finished, I'll publish the design, circuits, parts list, etc.

This became a 'boolean' challenge, which I solved by creating the following circuitry:

These are the working scenarios:

A) With adaptive lights + cornering lamps + fogs
B) With side indicator lights + fogs (for those who do not have adaptive lights + cornering lamps)

You can have the fog lights as DRL or having a separate DRL light, like the BMW 80mm angel eyes.

The system is configured by micro-switches, and monitors voltages by connecting to the respective wires in the engine bay:

-Side lights (on or off)
-Fog lights (on or off)
-Corner lights (on or off) / Indicator lights (on or off)

Working scenarios:

1) Day time: DRL on - other functions de-activated

2a) Night time: DRL off, Fog lights off, corner light drives the fog light (left to right) or
2b) Night time: DRL off, Fog lights off, indicator light drives the fog light (left to right)

3) Night time: DRL off, Fog lights on, corner/indicator light does NOT drives the fog light (left to right)

For the indicator lights scenario, there is a 6 second timer, so if you do the 3-click indicator, the respective fog light will switch-on for the duration of the 3 clicks + 6 seconds, obviously if you hold the indicator for longer, it will be that value + 6 seconds.

When using the corner light, the fog light will switch-on for the same amount of time of the corner light.

As you can see, this is a prototype, I would like to transfer it to a PCB, however there is a lot of work to transfer to the PCB, and if there are no interest from our members, i will use a standard board and thats it.

Haven't done a kit list yet, but i believe it will cost much less than £25.

The module is meant to be installed at the engine bay area, and from a functionality perspective it operates in a similar way as the OSRAM LEDriving Fog DRL Kit.

So, my question is: Are you interested in this module, if so I will continue to develop?

Thanks

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #134291117th Sep 2014 8:35 pm
John Andre Ognheim

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Interresting mod.

In case i wanna use LED DRL , can you make the DRL to dim down, like 40% when using the blinker..
I`ve seen some german cars dimming the DRL`s when using the turn signal... quite cool.

John

Post #134405819th Sep 2014 8:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi J

Thanks!

Haven't thought about it, will need need to adapt, let me investigate

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #134413219th Sep 2014 10:34 am
Flapjack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

All sounds very clever indeed I'm surprised at the lack of posts on this topic ,I know most guys have cracked the del thing .but this is an interesting original idea that could be really good by the sounds of it ,I'm interested anyway Thumbs Up
 blessed are the losers ,for they determine the winners  
Post #134469020th Sep 2014 12:01 am
frk79

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #134471320th Sep 2014 3:17 am
ids

England 

Sounds good to me fella. Keep at it!

Ids

Post #134472620th Sep 2014 7:56 am
gruodiz

Lithuania 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Any news on this? I have adaptive headlights with cornering lights and thinking of connecting fog light as extra cornering light from cornering light feed. One way diodes on each RH LH wire for fog light (+) positive wire to isolate current coming not just to fog light only but back to Central Junction Box (CJB glove compartment fuse box, BCM)

Anyone know what amount, size diode to use? Thumbs Up

Post #18971473rd Jan 2018 9:10 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I was going to ask what size diode you were planning on using Laughing

Post #18971613rd Jan 2018 9:36 pm
gruodiz

Actually it needs 4 of them 2 on each side or not, if FET in CJB is ready for current back way?

Isolate both cornering lights when fog lights are on and isolate CJB when cornering duplicates fog light
Rolling Eyes

Post #18971703rd Jan 2018 9:47 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I did think about using a 5 pin relay in each corner (as I don't have corning lights) but I can't be bothered.

P.S I'm sure your corning lights are perfectly aligned for cornering. I see people upgrade the wattage of the cornering lights on here to ~55W for more light

Post #18971733rd Jan 2018 9:54 pm
gruodiz

Check if there is a prewired for cornering at headlight plug, should be pin 4 not empty and CCF ??

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayim...fullsize=1

Post #18971773rd Jan 2018 10:01 pm
gruodiz

I did upgrage for 55w on 2012 headlights but now I facelifted again to latest 2015 headlights and cornerings there are couple LEDs integrated

Post #18971783rd Jan 2018 10:03 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Depending on the wattage of the LEDs, I have two suggestions:

1) You can put a changeover (5-pin) relay on each fog lamp feed.

Attatch the common terminal (30) to to fog lamp, the normally open (87) to the fog lamp feed, and the normally closed (87a) to a feed drawn from the cornering lamp circuit. Attatch the coil terminals, 85 & 86, to the fog lamp feed and to ground. Using the relay thus minimises switching as opposed to the other way around. It also means both lamps with fade out in the same manner. Do this on each side and you are sorted, subject to the following important caveat:

This solution places the full load of the fog lamp bulb - i.e. an additional 55W - on the cornering lamp circuit. I have been running 65W H9 bulbs in my cornering lamps for some time now (which I believe to be within the spec of the FETs used), with no issues, but obviously the original load was only one 35W H8 bulb. I would not use this solution with the full 35W + 55W load, or greater, but as you have LED cornering lamps, the current drawn could be lower - but I don't know what the LEDs draw. In theory, my experience (based on an 06MY D3) suggests that at least up to 10W from the LEDs would be OK if it can be established what the rating is, but obviously, you would undertake this at your own risk. I suspect the draw would be too great anyway.

Alternatively:

2) Replace the split in the fog lamp feed with a dual contact relay like this - https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/172/category/36 - (or alternatively, a dual pole relay or two normal relays attatched to each side of the feed - either way, the output terminals of the relay(s) must be isolated from each other when the relay is open) and then use a standard (normally open) make/break relay to provide a new feed from the battery, switched by the cornering lamp, on each side.

Connections as follows -

Dual contact relay

30 & 85 to the fog lamps feed

87 to the one fog lamp
    87b to the other fog lamp

(Ensuring no linkage remains between the fog lamps from this point.)

86 to ground

Make/break relay (one on each side)

30 to a new fused live feed
    87 to the applicable fog lamp
    85 to the cornering lamp feed
    86 to ground

This alleviates the current draw concerns. Smile

I hope this is all easy enough to follow - please ask if not. I can draw up some diagrams if you want. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #18973294th Jan 2018 1:10 pm
gruodiz

I'll put a changeover (5-pin) relay on each fog lamp, pretty easy job and wiring. I like the way how cornering light fades out so the same will be with fog Thumbs Up

Thanks

Post #18974004th Jan 2018 4:20 pm
RimvydasHat

Lithuania 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Rimini RedLR3

gruodiz wrote:
I did upgrage for 55w on 2012 headlights but now I facelifted again to latest 2015 headlights and cornerings there are couple LEDs integrated

hi, did you managed how to make bright signature lights?
as now i have them working in dimmed mode.

Post #19811956th Sep 2018 5:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >