Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

DSC in action
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
DSC in action

Experienced the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control ?) of my D3 over the week-end when I went into quite a tight bend on a dirt road and as the vehicle started drifting I could feel braking of some sort before I could even think of what to do. I was in normal driving mode

That reminded me of the button which can be used to de-ativate DSC - under what circumstances would one actualy want to de-activate this function ?

Post #18861013th Aug 2007 6:11 am
catweasel

sand driving for one. I leave my on as it is helpfull on dirt roads as you have found out. perhaps mud but I'm yet to find out

Post #18861413th Aug 2007 7:09 am
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

In sand you obviously don't want any braking effect or any power being withdrawn by the computer, but even more improtantly if there are any Land Cruiser boys around, then please turn DSC off in sand!! Whistle

Post #18862913th Aug 2007 8:07 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'll second (or third) that. THe DSC takes power off in sand when you really need it, like when you are taking a corner in deep wet sand. and need to add a bit of power so as not to dig-in. I found manual and DSC off to be the best for high-speed sand driving, especially when following other vehicles and in their ruts.

It's sometimes a bit tricky taking a hand off the wheel to change if you are used to the auto-box, especially when the steering is pulling you all over the place.

Now, has anyone tried to add paddle-shift yet? Twisted Evil

Post #18872813th Aug 2007 11:24 am
Andrew van den Heever

Sounds good!! How about a sequential manual box, or even better something like Audi's dual clutch DSG. Now we're talking! Very Happy

Post #18881713th Aug 2007 2:30 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Baben wrote:
I'll second (or third) that. THe DSC takes power off in sand when you really need it, like when you are taking a corner in deep wet sand. and need to add a bit of power so as not to dig-in. I found manual and DSC off to be the best for high-speed sand driving, especially when following other vehicles and in their ruts.

It's sometimes a bit tricky taking a hand off the wheel to change if you are used to the auto-box, especially when the steering is pulling you all over the place.

Was this in high or low range ? . My understanding is that in HR the box will still shift by itself - even if in command mode

Post #18882913th Aug 2007 3:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew van den Heever

Another thing DSC/traction control does (sorry if this is very obvious to most) is that it acts in a manner like a "diff lock" in that it can brake a wheel that is spinning with no traction thereby spreading the power across the axle symmetrically and giving power to the tyre with grip (hence the twanging and clanging one hears when cross axling). So front diff lock, centre diff lock, DSC, terrain response and away you go! Anybody who doesn't like computer controlled vehicles shouldn't fly!

Post #18884713th Aug 2007 3:57 pm
Baben

hi or lo

was hi range, heine. In my experience it will only change in manual once you hit the rev limit or go too slow for the gear you are in

Post #18891213th Aug 2007 8:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The Manual wrote:

In some driving conditions, to maximise
traction, it may be beneficial to deactivate DSC.
Such conditions include:
• To rock the vehicle out of a hollow or out
of a soft surface.
• Starting in deep snow or on a loose
surface.
• Driving in deep sand.
• Driving on tracks with deep longitudinal
ruts.
• Driving through deep mud.

Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #18895513th Aug 2007 9:36 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Re: hi or lo

Baben wrote:
was hi range, heine. In my experience it will only change in manual once you hit the rev limit or go too slow for the gear you are in

At what revs where you changing

Post #18904114th Aug 2007 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

Nowhere near the rev limit, somewhere up at about 3000

Post #18904514th Aug 2007 9:23 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Baben wrote:
THe DSC takes power off in sand when you really need it, like when you are taking a corner in deep wet sand. and need to add a bit of power so as not to dig-in. I found manual and DSC off to be the best for high-speed sand driving, especially when following other vehicles and in their ruts.

I may be wrong, but aren't you talking about Traction Control and not DSC?

As far as I know, putting the Terrain Response into Sand (Traffic Light) mode automatically switches off (or at least backs off) the Traction Control.....thereby preventing the car from bogging down and losing speed on the soft stuff as the wheels spin.

DSC is a different feature and mainly comes into use at higher speeds and accidental/daredevil swerving manouevres such as that experienced by Deondef Thumbs Up and uses braking to keep the car going where you want it to instead of rolling, sliding and hitting things.

The difference is that Traction Control uses individual brakes to prevents wheels spinning (with the differentials shoving the power to the wheels that still have traction), whilst DSC aims to 'help' the driver keep the car going where it is pointed.

Baben wrote:

Funnily enough I was thinking this the other day.....although it would be a major pain in the Censored it shouldn't be too difficult....

Post #18905514th Aug 2007 10:12 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The Manual wrote:

In some driving conditions, to maximise traction, it may be beneficial to deactivate DSC.

Nice one DG.....when in doubt RTFM (as I should have done Wink)

Also from the manual:
Paul's Manual wrote:
Deactivating DSC has no affect on traction control operation.

Paul's Manual wrote:
ELECTRONIC TRACTION CONTROL (ETC)
ETC is continuously available to boost vehicle traction when one or more wheels has a tendency to spin, while the others have more grip. It operates in conjunction with the DSC system.

Now I'm confused... Confused
So....ETC works as part of the DSC system, however, deactivating DSC doesn't ever deactivate ETC, except it seems in Sand mode to allow the wheels to spin in order to keep the speed up??? Oh sod it Smile Time for a coffee...

To back up the official response I also found this:
Paul's Manual wrote:
Where the sand is extremely soft and dry and of a depth that allows the wheels to sink well into it, there may be additional benefit in switching off the Dynamic Stability Control.

Post #18906214th Aug 2007 10:32 am
300+

You are half right on what DSC does. But in my experience, powering up a grippy but steep & slightly bumpy hill in low ratio (approaching the limits of traction) will cause DSC to kick in and sap all power. I couldn't work out why my V8 with foot to the floor didn't have the power to get up the hill. I finally crawled over the crest to great relief. For the next section of the hill I turned off DSC and the I powered up as fast as I wanted (with power to spare). The traction control still did it's thing and there was no less traction apparent.

For this kind of hill I always turn off DSC. Apparently it is still there if you are really stupid, but I've not found that "feature" yet.

Cheers, Steve

Post #18906714th Aug 2007 10:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >