Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

To DSC or not...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
To DSC or not...

Following on from Sunday's event, there appeared to be some debate about the use of DSC... Personally I switched it off as soon as I selected low box, but I'm aware that others had it switched on for most if not all of the day. My feeling is that as DSC can limit the torque available in some circumstances it's best left off, although I did notice that close to the summit of the long, steep climb at Tixover, it kicked back in, with an immediate reduction in torque / power available. I'm not sure why it kicked back in, but it did Rolling Eyes
On a side note, the first few slopes & tracks were accompanied by several pings - nothing on the display though... then I remembered to turn the PDC off Embarassed Embarassed Wink

Post #1827320th Sep 2005 12:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: To DSC or not...

10forcash wrote:

On a side note, the first few slopes & tracks were accompanied by several pings - nothing on the display though... then I remembered to turn the PDC off Embarassed Embarassed Wink

der Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #1827420th Sep 2005 1:00 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash,

On a number of occasions I've forgotten to turn the DSC off and only thought of it when the light on the dash starts to flash indicating the DSC is operating. When it's been wet and muddy I've turned it off to try to maintain forward progress on really slippery tracks but it seems to still want to engage traction control even when turned off. I'm really not sure that the traction control ever is totally overriden when the DSC is turned off. It really is a bit confusing because I can't see if the wheels are spinning or not. I get the feeling that the wheels are spinning because mud is flying everywhere.

I have the rear diff lock but I can't tell if it is engaging or not.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1827620th Sep 2005 1:03 pm
10forcash

PCH wrote:
10forcash,

On a number of occasions I've forgotten to turn the DSC off and only thought of it when the light on the dash starts to flash indicating the DSC is operating. When it's been wet and muddy I've turned it off to try to maintain forward progress on really slippery tracks but it seems to still want to engage traction control even when turned off. I'm really not sure that the traction control ever is totally overriden when the DSC is turned off. It really is a bit confusing because I can't see if the wheels are spinning or not. I get the feeling that the wheels are spinning because mud is flying everywhere.

Chris
Chris, I think you're right, the DSC never really goes off, just the threshold where it comes in is raised, the rear (and centre) difflock status should be indicated on the 4x4 info screen, which you should have with your HSE (unless it's not there due to 'regional marketing differences' Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )  
Post #1827720th Sep 2005 1:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

Re: To DSC or not...

Dom Harvey wrote:
10forcash wrote:

der Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Yer, I know Embarassed Embarassed must have had a Victor Meldrew moment... Laughing Laughing Laughing  
Post #1827820th Sep 2005 1:08 pm
Pelyma

England 

10FC you're not alone I kept forgeting to switch pdc off. I left DSC on (forgot) and the only time it kicked in was on the big climb at Tixover, where I turned it off on my way up Embarassed Not good practice. In my experience it tends to come on more in muddy fields were you waggle about a bit. In that terrain I always switch it off first.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1827920th Sep 2005 1:19 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:
PCH wrote:
10forcash,

Chris
Chris, I think you're right, the DSC never really goes off, just the threshold where it comes in is raised, the rear (and centre) difflock status should be indicated on the 4x4 info screen, which you should have with your HSE (unless it's not there due to 'regional marketing differences' Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )

Yep, regional marketing decided we need to pay heaps for the NAV option even if you buy a HSE. So I don't get any 4*4 info except for the TR and wheel angle in the message centre in the display in front of the driver.

That's life down under Crying or Very sad but we get the tow electrics across the range if that's any consolation Laughing
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1828120th Sep 2005 1:22 pm
10forcash

PCH wrote:
That's life down under Crying or Very sad but we get the tow electrics across the range if that's any consolation Laughing
now let me see.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink sorry mate, I can ask Slimer to send you a photo of his info screen with rear diff locked up then you can stick it over where the screen should be if you want? Laughing Laughing Laughing  
Post #1828320th Sep 2005 1:25 pm
10forcash

Pelyma wrote:
10FC you're not alone I kept forgeting to switch pdc off. I left DSC on (forgot) and the only time it kicked in was on the big climb at Tixover, where I turned it off on my way up Embarassed Not good practice. In my experience it tends to come on more in muddy fields were you waggle about a bit. In that terrain I always switch it off first.
what doesn't help is that when you 'boot up' PDC and DSC revert to default settings, not last known state, although I can see good reasons why it does that.... just more buttons to hit before the 'launch control' one Laughing Laughing  
Post #1828420th Sep 2005 1:28 pm
BN

England 

The reason jollybodger gave up on the steep hill was that he knew nothing about DSC untill I spoke to him afterwards otherwise he would have made it. Switch it off when off road, makes life easy.

Post #1830320th Sep 2005 2:17 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I did the whole day with DSC switched on, didn't cause me any issues. It must be down to driver skill and my 'textbook' driving Wink Very Happy
 The End  
Post #1835720th Sep 2005 4:02 pm
10forcash

Slimer wrote:
I did the whole day with DSC switched on, didn't cause me any issues. It must be down to driver skill and my 'textbook' driving Wink Very Happy
but the 'textbook' says turn it off Question must have been written on Victor Meldrew's confuser  
Post #1836620th Sep 2005 4:12 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

BN I have to admit that I didn't really appreciate what the DSC button did, certainly I wasn't able to get up the steep hill at Tixover. Part of the problem may have been that I was terrified of damaging the car and about halfway (or was it 2/3) up or down from which ever way you look at it all I could see was the nearside bank looking extremely close.
Slimer I suspect that you have better driving skills witha D3, I have only had mine for about a month and haven't driven 4x4 before, so far it's all been road driving. But I have to say it was great fun on Sunday so hopefully will have the skill nerve to cope with future challenges. Either way superb day, brillian car and great company guys. Surprised

Post #1839420th Sep 2005 6:18 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I felt left out when everyone was talking about turning their DSC off and on. Not having yet been indoctrinated (LRE experience) I was only following Ray's instructions (most of the time Embarassed ) and he never mentioned DSC so I did nothing with it.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #1839620th Sep 2005 6:24 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

But didn't you manage to get up the steep hill with it still on Coffee Cup? Confused Confused

Post #1839720th Sep 2005 6:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >