DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Descisions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Robbiemyboy

Australia 
Descisions

Final Descison Report post

Well after months of research i am off to the local Landrover Dealer to buy a car. What will I buy? Well i'm still not 100% sure but this is what i have been thinking.

1. BMW X5 a great drive but one dimensional. I think the quality, and inclusiveness of this car are hard to beat, but is it an allrounder? I dont think so.
2. RRS TDV6 a great car but with so many options needed to make it equipped like a $95K car should be , i feel a little cheated. Still its a beautifull car to look at drive and hopefully own.
3. Disco 3. I own an fairly ordinary Series II V8 Disco, but it is no relation to the new model. If it wasnt for the badge i would not have guessed. I think it feels slightly poderous on the road and no where near as nimble as RRS, but flexible, wow, This car is spacious, comfortable competent and capable. It doesnt have the prestige of RRS but in HSE format its mighty close.

If anyone can push me over the line with the descision please let me know. I do 30K per year in southern and central Queensland have 2 children and a dog.

Last edited by Robbiemyboy on 29th Aug 2006 10:47 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8113129th Aug 2006 10:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Robbiemyboy
The D3 is a great car both on road and off road
even one of my die hard toyota friends is starting
to think about changing to A disco
because of its looks and 4x4 ability
BTW welcome to the forum
peter

Post #8113429th Aug 2006 10:36 am
Robbiemyboy

Australia 

Thanks Norto, have you driven the RRS? I must admit to leaning toward the Disco3 HSE. My dealer has 3 x 2005 models one with Premium st nav and two standard. I think he'd take 80k for the standard HSE, is that a fair price do you think?
 We're all Jock Tamsons Bairns  
Post #8113729th Aug 2006 10:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

if it includes on roads it sounds good but as the new 07 model is coming soon you might be able to push harder. is it a diesel or V8 and make sure to do a ring around a quote genuine prices until the dealers opt out of the race and see how far you can push until you come to the lowest price and then see if it is worth it depending on location to transport or pick up. be calm and look before you leap as you may miss a better deal.

Post #8116429th Aug 2006 12:26 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Agree with disco decision
X5 way too pricey (2 year warranty!!), rrs nice but not as flexible
check against the list price for engine model, you should be looking at a considerable discount for an 05 model.
if you go for this model ensure it has the enhancement before delivery.
By a rule of thumb you should be aiming for at least list price on road for new model (ie free dealer delivery rego etc) for old model dicount should be more.
make the dealers fight for your business go from one to the other, you are a live buyer use it.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8131029th Aug 2006 11:20 pm
Robbiemyboy

Australia 

Thanks guys, What is the enhancement you refer to caver?
 We're all Jock Tamsons Bairns  
Post #8131929th Aug 2006 11:53 pm
caverD3

the enhancement program is when the dealer does a complet check for a number of known issues and corrects them. Installs complete new software.
Mine called it a recall but as it is not safety rated so is a service bulletin.
see:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=80980#80980
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8132430th Aug 2006 12:31 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Welcome to the forum Robbiemyboy

I had a look at the X5 but wanted something with a little more robustness (for a round Australia trip) - agree on your points about the X5 though.

The RRS is one heck of a nice package (based on the D3 gear) but does have only 5 seats and has not as much interior space (if that is important to you) - and I saw two in Chawton White and can't believe how good they looked.

I have a D3TDV6 S with fabric, 5 seats (didn't need 7) Climate Control and Air Suspension and have nothing but praise for the package. You might find that stepping back from the V8 to the TDV6 a little disappointing (but there are OTHER enhancements - search this forum for LRTuning, for example).

On the subject of price, in Brisbane there are two outlets for one dealer (less bargaining power for you) but I ended up purchasing from the Gold Coast - car was available - and was very happy with the sales process and servicing to date.

For the HSE, you may well be able to negotiate around $80k but if the dealer seems inflexible, look to extras that they could add to make the sale.

A sliding floor will make the placement of goods, etc. in the back a lot easier but LRA charges about $1500 plus fitting. Tow bar plus wiring connection, front mudflaps, durable fitted flooor mats, cargo barrier, etc. are things that you might try to bargain for.

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #8132930th Aug 2006 4:33 am
caverD3

I would say you wouls not be too disapointed if you go to the tdv6 from the old buick engine from the DII. new tdv6 is as powerful with more torque but you will notice the turbo lag.
test drive and see.
i would avoid the v6 petrol it has the same fuel consumption as the v8!!!!
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #8133130th Aug 2006 5:43 am
catweasel

LeighW wrote:
Tow bar plus wiring connection, front mudflaps, durable fitted flooor mats, cargo barrier, etc. are things that you might try to bargain for.

Leigh
the tow pack is standard across the range Wink  
Post #8143130th Aug 2006 1:49 pm
Jamo

Australia 

When I bought mine, the 'Tow Pack' was standard but didn't include the 'Tow Hitch' itself. Confused That cost extra! Shocked
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8144030th Aug 2006 2:04 pm
catweasel

must be getting a freebie Very Happy
by tow hitch do you mean the lockable removeable bit withuot the tongue

Post #8144330th Aug 2006 2:06 pm
Jamo

Australia 

No, the tongue and ball.

I thought it was a bit cheeky at the time..to provide a 'Tow Pack" but not the means to actually tow with.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8144730th Aug 2006 2:10 pm
catweasel

it just read tow bar and wiring and as the towbar (as I know it) is integrated in the chassis I just assumed....
I didn't think they sold the tongue and ball due to the many varieties and heights of the hitch. I dont use a ball.
maybe LeighW could set me straight

Post #8144830th Aug 2006 2:18 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Not sure what you mean by varying heights, but I assume that you've got your own Treg type tongue or similar.

Balls's good enough for me as all I do is tow box trailers. Got no interest in vans.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8145330th Aug 2006 3:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >