DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Obviously not enough bridleways for some
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Obviously not enough bridleways for some

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/routes...ers-618876

They're clearly not happy and want it all for themselves.

Post #180880728th Apr 2017 5:28 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

just like the Ramblers but having said that there are a lot knobs out there that do spoil it for us to Sad
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #180881328th Apr 2017 5:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anglefire

England 

Quote:
Riders are now having to share these tracks with 4x4s and motorbikes.

Well, I think they have ever since the car came along, hardly new.

As for illegal off roading, can't condone it, but when roads get closed off to all vehicles, then the ones that are left get over used and damaged and some drivers ignore the law and use other, often previously open roads.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #180881428th Apr 2017 5:55 am
Dave T

England 

this was the bit that really got me, they need to listen to what they are saying!

".......and most riders depend on other kinds of tracks with no tarmac for safe off-road riding.

“These tracks are the 5,000km of unclassified county roads and the 4,000km of ‘byways open to all traffic’. Riders are now having to share these tracks with 4x4s and motorbikes."
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #180881528th Apr 2017 5:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

No mention of the thousands of miles of other footpaths & bridleways that they do have access .

Post #180885628th Apr 2017 7:38 am
Pelyma

England 

Horses can't ride on footpaths.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #180886628th Apr 2017 8:15 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

We have horses which my better half rides (I just get to "enjoy helping out"!). There are areas around us where riders ride around field margins even though there are bridleways. Farmers put up signs asking riders not to use the margins (often in winter when the ground is sodden) but still they ride on them.

Sadly, there are examples of bad behaviour in all groups whether walkers, riders or drivers.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #180887528th Apr 2017 9:04 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quite. Most riders, walkers and drivers are able to get along perfectly well together; sadly there's always a vocal minority of people who are unable to mind their own business. Rolling Eyes

In particular though, riders should know better than to indulge in the same intolerance as the militant walkers that would like them pushed of the bridleways in a similar fashion.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #180898728th Apr 2017 2:59 pm
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Horses cant use tracks after 4x4 use!

Funny I knew a lane in Berkshire that could not be walked for ten years due to excessive use by horse riders, the hoof holes in the mud were two inches apart covering the entire lane. Only once it was driven by a 4x4 was it possible to walk again!!
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #180919929th Apr 2017 12:19 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Lost for Words wrote:
Quite. Most riders, walkers and drivers are able to get along perfectly well together; sadly there's always a vocal minority of people who are unable to mind their own business. Rolling Eyes

In particular though, riders should know better than to indulge in the same intolerance as the militant walkers that would like them pushed of the bridleways in a similar fashion.

Reminded me of a brilliant story my sister was telling me the other day with one of those punchlines we all wished we could deliver...she said she was out hacking alone on her old horse locally and was riding .i.e. Walking up a path which crossed some fields (but not a designated footpath) and came across a group of ramblers in all their get up. As she approached them the lead rambler, a belligerent old boy started ranting about horse riders and how they ride anywhere they like and that she shouldn't be there and how she should go away. After a considerable rant where the old boy was seen to be holding court and impressing his entourage she gave the one line reply.... 'Sir, if I can stop you if I may... this path and all the land you can see as far as your eye can see is mine... you are walking across my farm!
Loved to have seen his face!
Now bought her a hoody with the words 'get orf my land ' for Xmas! Very Happy

Post #180921629th Apr 2017 6:26 am
Pelyma

England 

Laughing Thing is the bridleway network is there for horses not for ramblers so it doesn't actually matter if the ground does get poached up, the lanes that we are allowed to use in cars is for all users so it does matter if idiots cut it up. However as said there are bad eggs in all walks of life, including riders who go off piste, dog walkers who can't control their dogs, 4x4 drivers who drive where they like, mountain bikers who come up behind you at warp speed and of course bobbly hatted ramblers who think they know everything. We should all do our bit to look after the land that we are allowed to use and try to think of other users too.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #180921929th Apr 2017 6:51 am
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

There is bias everywhere - heard someone going on about clearing up dog poo as they don't want to accidentally tread on it in the woods but doesn't want to clear up horse poo in town even though kids can walk in it or the elderly slip over.

"Oh but horse poo is just grass where as dog poo is deadly" they say - try telling that to a friend whose dog ate horse poo and dies of organ failure....

As for path/way damage, well I believe there should be plenty of give and take. I walk and run around my area and give way for motorbikes, horses etc., they are all courteous, go past slowly and we all nod or chat briefly... in fact the only smearing I've seen is a bunch of old wrinklies in PAC-a-macs and boots worthy of Nevis rather than a 2 mile jaunt on established paths (which are easily run in normal trainers when dry!) Laughing
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #180934529th Apr 2017 4:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >