DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

easy source of 12v feed by fuse board
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
easy source of 12v feed by fuse board

Guys

just putting me new sat nav unit in, and I've got all the wiring down to the space by the fuse board (behind the glove box). What I need now is an easy point from which to get a 12v supply. With all this canbus stuff, I dont want to hook into something I shouldn't.

Any ideas?

cheers
Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #3351616th Dec 2005 5:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I took power for my RoadAngel by tapping into the AUX power supply next to the ashtray (i.e. the 'other' cigar lighter socket). This is switched with the ignition too.
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3354616th Dec 2005 8:02 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There are several 'safe' feeds at the rear of the IHU....
Permanent power, wake on open and IGN switched. I've not got the colour codes but a test lamp will prove them
Wake on open is probably best for any sat. nav. as it will power up prior to starting, thereby shortening the satellite lockup time

Post #3354816th Dec 2005 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

what's an IHU?
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3355416th Dec 2005 8:21 pm
10forcash

Sorry, Integrated Head Unit = Nav. screen, even if it's not fitted the wiring should be there
Generally, all the data wiring is twisted pair, mucking about with this - even stretching the twist - will severely screw your vehicle up Rolling Eyes

Post #3355516th Dec 2005 8:22 pm
kjh1957

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: easy source of 12v feed by fuse board

al cope wrote:
Guys

just putting me new sat nav unit in, and I've got all the wiring down to the space by the fuse board (behind the glove box). What I need now is an easy point from which to get a 12v supply. With all this canbus stuff, I dont want to hook into something I shouldn't.

Any ideas?

cheers
Alan

Hi. Have a look at my gallery and you will see exactly what you can do to make a tidy safe installation.

Post #3360816th Dec 2005 10:14 pm
BrianX

Interesting one KJH. Where do you get the tapa-circuit from, and how on earth does the glovebox come out (I tried for ages when fitting the Nokia phone kit)?
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3361016th Dec 2005 10:24 pm
kjh1957

BrianX wrote:
Interesting one KJH. Where do you get the tapa-circuit from, and how on earth does the glovebox come out (I tried for ages when fitting the Nokia phone kit)?

Firstly the Glovebox. There is a plastic ratchet on each side of the glovebox when open. If you press down the ratchet on each side it allows the glovebox to hinge down, I recall it is described in the handbook for fuse access.
I got the Tapa-circuit mail order from the USA. it cost about $10 and came in a few days. Try this link.
http://www.gizmos-gadgets.com/product_info.php/products_id/96
Best of luck.

Post #3361116th Dec 2005 10:31 pm
BrianX

aaaaahhhhhh, handbook, hmmmmmm. Never thought of that. Crying or Very sad I didn't realise that there were fuses there, and assumed that there wasn't a section titled 'how to remove bits of your D3 thus enabling you to add extra thingys'. Very Happy Is there a section on getting wires through bulkheads without drilling any holes?
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3361216th Dec 2005 10:38 pm
kjh1957

BrianX wrote:
aaaaahhhhhh, handbook, hmmmmmm. Never thought of that. Crying or Very sad I didn't realise that there were fuses there, and assumed that there wasn't a section titled 'how to remove bits of your D3 thus enabling you to add extra thingys'. Very Happy Is there a section on getting wires through bulkheads without drilling any holes?

I don't think there is a page for that one Smile but I do recall seeing a suggestion somewhere on this forum. Try a search.

Post #3361416th Dec 2005 10:41 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It's possible, I've just done it, will post piccys soon
 The End  
Post #3361516th Dec 2005 10:43 pm
al cope

England 
done it

Guys

thanks for all the replies. I already had the glovebox out, and the Nav unit fits exactly where the factory head unit goes (I brought one of these 5" screen models, that also has a vido input), and I was just searching for a 12v feed. With the dash centre section removed (it just pulls out), I got down behnd the aux sockets (as suggested), and nicked a feed from there. Just the roof mount DVD to fit now!

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #3365717th Dec 2005 1:48 pm
robbi

Guernsey 

10forcash wrote:
There are several 'safe' feeds at the rear of the IHU....
Permanent power, wake on open and IGN switched. I've not got the colour codes but a test lamp will prove them
Wake on open is probably best for any sat. nav. as it will power up prior to starting, thereby shortening the satellite lockup time

10forcash, you were looking at a carputer. Were you thinking of getting power from these safe feeds? I won't have the SATNAV screen.

From what I have learnt you can use an inverter or DC-DC power supply. The DC-DC (eg. Carnetix P1900) being the better option.

From what I have learnt it is considered better to run your own dedicated power cable from the '+' battery terminal and '-' to nearest ground point.

Is this something you had considered and how easy is it to get from the battery to a point behind the dash?
 08 Sport TDV8  
Post #356062nd Jan 2006 7:28 pm
10forcash

Robbi,
Depends if you want a permanent or switched +ve, i've had a 'scope on the accessory socket below the heater controls and there is no significant noise (with a 10A passive load), although this is switched. there is a permanent supply to the heater controls on Connector C2655, pin 1, it's protected at 10A. There is (according to Slimer) a blind grommet accessible on the R/H/S of the vehicle, if you're planning on fitting a supplementary battery. this would be an ideal route. There is a 50A supply to the aux. fusebox behind the glovebox but it's a pig to tap onto Rolling Eyes
There is a permanent supply to the unused relay sockets though, a 1/4" male Lucar connector would provide a good source of power Wink

Post #356092nd Jan 2006 7:48 pm
robbi

Guernsey 

10forcash wrote:
Depends if you want a permanent or switched +ve:

I am thinking a permanent supply to a DC-DC supply, since it will be able to auto startup/shutdown the PC. Using the accessory socket with an inverter requires manual start/shut down of PC and could do damage if you leave PC on and then crank the engine back on.

10forcash wrote:
There is a permanent supply to the unused relay sockets though, a 1/4" male Lucar connector would provide a good source of power Wink

What and where are these relay sockets?

Thanks
Rob
 08 Sport TDV8  
Post #359184th Jan 2006 1:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >