Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

ECU & Driving Habits
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JLMARTIN

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
ECU & Driving Habits

Could somebody kindly explain the concept behind the ECU "learning driving habits"?

This has been mentioned to me by various people (including LRTuning's agent after remapping my D3's ECU). My poor understanding of it is that the car's computer somehow adapts to the way I drive to optimize the enigne and that everytime the ECU is reset it has to "learn" my driving style all over.... How does this work?

Does this mean that if I drive like a grandma the car will be "optimized" to such driving style?

What if, God forbid, I let the wife drive it?

Does this have anything to do with some cars having a "looser engine" or a "tight engine"? I thought the "running-in" period took care of that....

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,
 JL Martin
2006 TDV6 HSE Tonga Green/Alpaca (used to be LRTuned) 

Post #8074926th Aug 2006 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Xplore

Portugal 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Juan,

I am no car expert, but I have worked in IT most of my life, and I think that what it does is use a technology that has been used in Mainframe Computers for quite some time now, and is based mainly on heuristics.
What (I think), it does, put simply, is keep track of how you drive and try to anticipate what you will do next, preparing the car systems (fuel pressure, gear, turbo etc...), to do what you intend, thus doing it better, quicker, and using less resources...

How is the engine upgrade responding som far? Still happy?

Post #8076126th Aug 2006 4:14 pm
JLMARTIN

Thanks for that. I wasn´t sure if the ¨learning¨ process was a one-time thing or if it was ongoing. I suppose it is ongoing or else the ECU would get very confused during off-road sessions....

Very happy with the remap, indeed.

The car feels ¨lighter¨ and the acceleration is quite smooth (as opposed to sudden kicks).

We´ll see how fuel consumption turns out, but given the fact that I am a very mellow driver, I am sure mpg should be good.

My only fear now is that the fellows over at LR service department overwrite Chris' work (you hear so much about ¨enhancements¨ lately...).

In any case, I should have one added bonus: I believe there aren´t that many D3s in Spain with Chris' "magic" on them 8)

Mine is one speedy D3 out here in Spanish roads.... Very Happy

Regards,
 JL Martin

Post #8076326th Aug 2006 4:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dldisco3

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Is the engine also 'learning'? Embarassed

I know the gearbox is continuously learning, never realised the engine is also checking my driving style (big brother is in my car Shocked )

Post #8078126th Aug 2006 6:21 pm
JLMARTIN

Maybe BigBrother is watching:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring/...16857.html

Question
 JL Martin

Post #8078326th Aug 2006 6:31 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

there's two things going on here, firstly, the auto 'box will adapt to your driving style, adapting the gearchange setpoints to suit. Secondly the engine ECU will adjust things like turbo vane angle, injector opening point & duration, fuel pressure etc. to attempt to match the performance mapping installed in the ECU, the mapping is essentially the optimum performance and takes a whole host of inputs, such as air temperature, accelerator pedal angle, fuel temperature, exhaust temperature, boost pressure etc. etc. and attempts to match the performance cure as closely as possible. This gives the advantage that as the engine gets older and components wear, performance broadly stays the same, it also means that companies such as JE, Turbochip & LR Tuning can modify the initial performance profile and the engine will always try to match it as closely as possible. 'performance' mods that just boost the rail pressure will be suceptible to fuel pump and injector wear to a much greater extent than true remaps. Whilst the two systems (engine & transmission) are tightly integrated, only the transmission adapts to driver input.

Post #8079026th Aug 2006 7:00 pm
JLMARTIN

That makes sense. Not like my ECU is like the Chessmaster software that learns from my mistakes to beat the crap out of my chess game....
 JL Martin

Post #8079926th Aug 2006 8:41 pm
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

TFC

Quote:
takes a whole host of inputs, such as air temperature,

This is interesting. Does the system measure the actual air tempurature or does it rely on the exterior temperature sensor which displays on the message centre.

I ask this because coming home from a caravanning holiday the other day, outside temperature was about 17 - 19C and this was what was showing on the message centre. However, when we started to go through hills there was a dramatic change to the temperature being shown on the message centre. In fact it went up as high as 36C Shocked Confused Of course I checked the water temp guage but there was no change - it was still showing just under half which appears to be normal.

Oh, and there was an occasional dull roar coming from under the bonnet which I assume is the viscous fan?

Seems to me that the exterior temperature sensor was being impacted by the extra heat being generated under bonnert while pulling hard up some fairly steep hills. But does this affect the performance of the engine, and if so how?

Ian.
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE HiIce White/Alpaca ARB Bullbar  
Post #8089727th Aug 2006 11:17 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No, seperate system. induction air temperature is calculated by an air mass sensor, this also compensates for density changes caused by altitude.
As far as I know, the sensor that gives the display info is only used by the infotainment and HEVAC systems, although there is some interaction between the HEVACS and engine control using temperature related information -mainly at low temperatures - to boost the charge voltage to the battery

Post #8093528th Aug 2006 11:00 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Having spent three weeks towing a caravan, does this mean that the computer now expects me to be towing all the time and how long before it learns that the caravan is back in storage?

Post #8104528th Aug 2006 7:39 pm
JLMARTIN

From all explanations offered about the workings of the ECU, I doubt that your D3 will be in caravan-pulling mode all the time Confused

I was telling my wife how "smart" the D3´s brains were, and she asked if it could detect her presence on the car--that way I would automatically slow me down. I told her no, but that it could detect her sitting on the driver´s seat so the engine would refuse to start.... Twisted Evil
 JL Martin

Post #8108528th Aug 2006 10:06 pm
catweasel

JLMARTIN wrote:
but that it could detect her sitting on the driver´s seat so the engine would refuse to start.... Twisted Evil
Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up  
Post #8116629th Aug 2006 11:32 am
fhuge

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I did get a message on the infotainment centre, it says 'Temperature high'. What does that mean?
Both the radio and navigation lights did go off (whilst the rest of the car lighting was on).
Any idea what the cause can be?

Post #232012226th Dec 2022 4:50 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

High temp in the colour display I expect

Post #232012426th Dec 2022 5:10 pm
fhuge

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Any idea how to fix it? It happened two times. Restart of car 'fixed' it for now..

Post #232012726th Dec 2022 5:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >