ECU map read / write fault reset equipment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Martin wrote:
You may mention it but cannot actively advertise Smile

Subliminally then. If you blink at the right rate you can see the name Laughing
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #3172653rd Jul 2008 5:39 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
ecu tuning

Just write a PM to dick dastardly and he will tell you. I have checked the czech dealer of the respective device - however due to bad reference (their poor tuning skills) on the market I will not go for the device.

One thing is to have the device but the other - MORE IMPORTANT - is to have the correct remap done. I have no experience in tuning diesel engines but on the petrol-turbo engines - I do. I am very surprised that some of these tuners are doing "blind" remaps - do not have logs of the cars sensors from full / partial load driving, no wideband lambda info, nor the MAP sensor input. I would not touch a tune without knowing MAP (for a charged engine) and wideband lambda. What they can do - is to "download" a good tune from someones ECU (done by someone who knows how to do it) - and then redistribute as their own. Or they can tune on their own car - and the redistribute. However - even for the same engine - TDV6 - 2 cars will never be the same Smile so for a max power tune you need to adjust individually. I agree - we do not build max power machines here - but that is the story. You can have "email" tunes - but you need to supply logs to the tuner so he can examine and adjust the parameters - so the final logs looks safe.
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #3174504th Jul 2008 9:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dick dastardly

Hi evo8, what's the bad reference ? Is it directly connected to the device or the local supplier ?

Which tuners are doing "blind remaps"? In this case a complete ecu dump is made (2MB data) and sent to the tuner so it is my individual configuration. This may or may not contain the greek alphabet but probably does. All I can say is that the tune that I have is an improvement, the original smoked when pushed, the new tune never. Driving frugally I can get 7.0 lt/100km, previous best 7.7lt/100lt, same course, same fuel.fotr

I also have the option of a JE / TT / TC tune and preserving it or switching back to original for trips to wherever.
For half the price of what others are asking, not bad. Still early days yet, dont want to defend Censored just because I bought it. Time will tell.....
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #3177394th Jul 2008 8:23 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How do you have the option of a JE / TT / TC tune? unless it is illegally copied or cloned??
as Evo8 says, the tunes need to be done individually - out of the 2MB flash only 48kB relates to the base map - I could sell these boxes or similar but I have chose not to....

Post #3177614th Jul 2008 9:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think I'd just deal with someone who I know and trust... call me crazy.

Post #3178354th Jul 2008 11:50 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

dick dastardly wrote:
Hi evo8, what's the bad reference ? Is it directly connected to the device or the local supplier ?

It is not related to the device - the device itself might be superb Smile The problem is their tuning skills.

For you remap - if the tuner has done lot of D3 TDV6 - he might have some basic idea where to add/subtract parameters in order to achieve the desired results. But it is as I call "blind" tuning as he is assuming that the engine is in the same condition as the other cars he tuned before. I do not think that the 2mb of code in the ECU contains logs - it contains routines and maps for various processes, checks, fail-safes etc.

A good tuner needs to evaluate the mechanical condition of the engine, analyse the logs from sensors during full power pulls (road or dyno) and then start adjusting - then do the checks again, adjust and check again ..... I've seen tuned cars which run like hell - but died after couple of thousand km - high timing advance, poor fueling - detonation - and out. Without reading the sensors you as a driver usually do not know that something like this is happenning.

Bottom line - I would love to have the device - but I am not sure whom I can trust to make the remap for me Smile I have not seen the code from the TDV6 ECU - and I doubt that I will be able to do it myself - as diesels are sligthly a different cup of tea Smile

Is the device able to make logs of the sensors - ad the dowload into PC for analysis?
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #3179055th Jul 2008 7:58 am
dick dastardly

I figured even if the tune is rubbish the device would be OK and for the price it looked a good bet. Luckily the device is OK so the tune can be rubbish then I would have the device to backup a good tune. As it turns out the first tune appears OK however, from what evo8 says it might be dangerous... In that case I planned to get a proper remap done (I only have one tune from the supplier which, as far as I've been told, is a handmade tune for my car - no clones. The device is tied to one car only, although there is a mulicar version.) from TT / JE or TC

I would prefer some way of remote tuning. The device can also dump the ECU log. TFC, is there any way that a remote tune can be done properly using the ECU dump and the log. Would you be interested in doing this, ISTR that you looked at tuning by email at one point. If not then I have to drive a long way to get a tune.

With the device used to backup a tune I neednt worry about the dealer overwriting it and having to travel a long distance again, plus I can switch back to original when out of europe.

At least that was the plan...
Post #3179315th Jul 2008 11:59 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Bear in mind that if this device is POST ECM and therefore is still 'fooling' signals to and from ECM in the same way as the 'resistor in a box' method albeit in a more sophisticated way. As the dynamic data is not broadcast outside of the ECM there is no way this box can take account of it.... your choice

Post #3181386th Jul 2008 12:12 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

evo8 wrote:

A good tuner needs to evaluate the mechanical condition of the engine, analyse the logs from sensors during full power pulls (road or dyno) and then start adjusting - then do the checks again, adjust and check again ..... I've seen tuned cars which run like hell - but died after couple of thousand km - high timing advance, poor fueling - detonation - and out. Without reading the sensors you as a driver usually do not know that something like this is happenning.

Most of your references are to petrol tunes (probably petrol turbocharged), where going out of the limits is fairly fatal, specifically detonation and lean mixture under full power.

In a diesel the biggest problem would be high EGT's from overfueling or poor injector timing. Overfueling will typically result in more smoke, poor timing in loss of power (sometimes).

I don't know of many (any ?) tuners who tune individual diesel cars on a dyno (generic tunes), most work from a fairly conservative base established with a test vehicle (done on a dyno).

Post #3181606th Jul 2008 6:42 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
Bear in mind that if this device is POST ECM and therefore is still 'fooling' signals to and from ECM in the same way as the 'resistor in a box' method albeit in a more sophisticated way. As the dynamic data is not broadcast outside of the ECM there is no way this box can take account of it.... your choice

TFC...you've lost me with this last post. Shocked

As far as I can tell, the device is only used for reading and uploading data from the ECM via the OBDII port. It isn't used in any way to interpret and modify signals outisde of the ECM or fool anything - nothing to do with the resistor-in-a-box-eBay tuning method.

It seems to replicate the function of your equipment (on a basic level) in that it's capable of reading and writing ECM data. i.e. When the 'tuner' emails the remap back to the customer, they can upload it into the ECM using the device....

I think Mr Dastardly's original question to you was if you were able to remap an ECM dump (binary file) to TT standards if he e-mailed the original binary file to you.

Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #3181756th Jul 2008 8:13 am
dick dastardly

Paul is right, you upload a 2MB MOD file via OBDII then it all runs without any box attached. Its a remap, takes less than 3 minutes to upload.

What I have is a neat little device to download and deploy the ECU binary. So if a tuned ECU is overwritten by the stealer, I can overwrite that with the tune. Takes away the extra cost danger for remote people and adds accessibility to remote markets 8)

If later I change my car, can use the same device (with different flashed BIOS) to get another tune done (must set original car back to original map first though). There is a multi car multi map version, but costs multi £
Post #3189427th Jul 2008 7:32 pm
dick dastardly

Quote:
I don't know of many (any ?) tuners who tune individual diesel cars on a dyno (generic tunes), most work from a fairly conservative base established with a test vehicle (done on a dyno).

Its mostly done with software these days that simulates fuel/air mix/pressure with burn temperatures and built in limits so chances of doing damage is reduced but still there if the warnings are not heeded.
Post #3189657th Jul 2008 8:03 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Might sound a daft question ..but would it be a different remap for a manual and an auto ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3194378th Jul 2008 2:21 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

wiggs wrote:
Might sound a daft question ..but would it be a different remap for a manual and an auto ?

Yes different software in a auto compared to manual.

Post #3196808th Jul 2008 10:18 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

PSC wrote:

In a diesel the biggest problem would be high EGT's from overfueling or poor injector timing. Overfueling will typically result in more smoke, poor timing in loss of power (sometimes).

Correct, in most cases you would need a car with a spacific software revision on EG as in the case of dick darstardly "NNS505550" Which i have nothing to do with the tuning of.
This software revision will be installed on thousands of landrovers world wide from landrover there selfs with no problems.
so if you have tuned this particular software revsion correctly on road/dyno using the correct logging equipment then there is no reason it cant go on the same softwared car just as landrover do.

Afterall landrover dont tune car specific or alter after the car has done XXX miles etc, as long as the tune is made within the safe paramiters of the car then is will be fine.

If you wanted 100% perfection with the MAX possibile for your particular engine then you may go to the dyno with that car and tune to the hilt of its limits, BUT max power is not what most customers want so there is no need.

I do however when asked make a tune specific to the customers needs and driving style , based on there original software revision installed on the ecu.

Regards Pete

Post #3196958th Jul 2008 10:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >