DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EGR - to blank or not to blank...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Lenita

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
EGR - to blank or not to blank...?

Hello, DiscoNoob here.

I have a P045C coming up on my 07 Disco 3. A local 4x4 Landy garage ran a diagnostic and said one of the EGR's needs replacing. They said blanking wasn't a good idea as it wouldn't make the engine efficient and then quoted me £400 to do the job. (Click Mechanic said £300)

A couple of friends who have diesel cars said they blank off their EGRs and get better fuel economy.

Tempted to blank as I'm skint at the mo, but also don't want to do scupper/bodge my car as I have MOT in March and not sure of legalities of blanking.

Suggestions and advice gratefully welcomed!

Post #20159726th Jan 2019 10:59 pm
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi
I would get them blanked, as far as I know it doesn’t affect the mot.
I wouldn’t have known a thing about them, but my my mechanic told me they were banked on mine.

Post #20159736th Jan 2019 11:08 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

Do a search on here. There's a huge amount of information about EGRs and blanking.
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #20159766th Jan 2019 11:10 pm
Puttesthlm

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Re: EGR - to blank or not to blank...?

Lenita wrote:
Hello, DiscoNoob here.

I have a P045C coming up on my 07 Disco 3. A local 4x4 Landy garage ran a diagnostic and said one of the EGR's needs replacing. They said blanking wasn't a good idea as it wouldn't make the engine efficient and then quoted me £400 to do the job. (Click Mechanic said £300)

A couple of friends who have diesel cars said they blank off their EGRs and get better fuel economy.

Tempted to blank as I'm skint at the mo, but also don't want to do scupper/bodge my car as I have MOT in March and not sure of legalities of blanking.

Suggestions and advice gratefully welcomed!

EGR valves take exhaust gases and leads them back to the engine. How would they mean thats effective? Blanking them gives the engine pure air only.

Post #20160027th Jan 2019 12:38 am
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The EGR functions to reduce harmful pollutants. Studies found that under certain engine cycles, injecting inert gas (exhaust gas) into the mix reduces toxic outputs such as NOx etc. Think of the children! I understand however why you might blank it when it dies as it is costly to repair, plus the crud in the intake is awful.

Post #20160057th Jan 2019 12:50 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Re: EGR - to blank or not to blank...?

Lenita wrote:

Tempted to blank as I'm skint at the mo, but also don't want to do scupper/bodge my car as I have MOT in March and not sure of legalities of blanking

EGR blanking is an instant MOT failure, as of 2018, but seems that the MOT tech can’t dismantle anything to check it, so if it isn’t obvious they can’t tell.

People have been talking of solutions where the EGRs are blanked but the pipes are left in place so it’s not detectable.

My car has been blanked with pipes removed but sailed thru it’s MOT. Suspect if I had taken it to an LR dealer rather than a back street MOT station, it might have been a different story.

Always remember though, if driving a car that is not in a MOTable condition, whether you have a valid and in date MOT certificate or not, you risk a £1000 fine if caught. Blanking and trying to cover it up would, I suspect, not get much sympathy so do so at your own risk. But chances of being caught are probably negligible, and I suspect a lot of others here on the forum run the risk every day.

Oh, and not sure if MY07 is affected, but later D3s need an ECU patch to stop the MIL light from coming on once the EGRs are blanked, MIL light at MOT is another failure, so if your car is affected you will need this patch. Mine is an 05 so is not affected.

You can patch it yourself if you have a Gap IID tool, otherwise you’ll need to find someone who has such a tool, but expect a cost as unless you find someone with a pro version, home tools are vin locked and there’s a charge for the update as well.

Post #20160087th Jan 2019 1:10 am
Lenita

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for all your advice. I think with the stricter MOT guidelines I’ll get it fixed. Totally in love with my Disco but I’m gonna have to sell a kidney soon 😩

Post #20160627th Jan 2019 1:51 pm
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Just to wade in here. My project Disco 3 went for its MOT with blanked EGRs and all pipe work removed and it passed just fine.... That was about two weeks ago.

Post #20161057th Jan 2019 4:58 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

In a nutshell,
Pre 2007 blank away 15 quid fix
Post 2007 blank away and a remap/rewrite of the software, cost, I dont know but got to be 2/250 quid?

I blanked mine for one reaon only and that reason is, when the egr packs up so does the car, leaving you stranded.

Blank plates fitted between pipe flanges no issues at mot a month or so ago.

Post #20161067th Jan 2019 5:05 pm
heyho

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DiscoJeffster wrote:
The EGR functions to reduce harmful pollutants. Studies found that under certain engine cycles, injecting inert gas (exhaust gas) into the mix reduces toxic outputs such as NOx etc. Think of the children! I understand however why you might blank it when it dies as it is costly to repair, plus the crud in the intake is awful.

Seems sensible to me BUT...

… why doesn't an EGR blanked car fail its MOT on exhaust emissions or doesn't that test actually go to the full extent of testing all the harmful pollutants?

Post #20161087th Jan 2019 5:11 pm
Puttesthlm

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Here in Sweden, the mot just connects to the cars obd2 outlet. So if u have a older or blanked and iid fixed it sails right through.

Post #20161127th Jan 2019 5:19 pm
Grumpydog

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

heyho wrote:
DiscoJeffster wrote:

Seems sensible to me BUT...

… why doesn't an EGR blanked car fail its MOT on exhaust emissions or doesn't that test actually go to the full extent of testing all the harmful pollutants?

I work on trucks where the EGR system is much more complicated. They recycle up to 30% of exhaust gas but only under certain conditions. It has to be cooled before entering the inlet and can actually reduce power by doing this (one make had either adblue or EGR at Euro 5. The EGR engine was bigger to compensate for this). It reburns the gases and reduces the pollutants before going into a £12k exhaust with adblue, DPF, catalyst and other black magic. Our Euro 6 trucks (EGR and adblue are now so clean they don't even register on a smoke test and apparently put out cleaner air than they draw in (not sure how true that is but would be interesting to experiment and find out).
It's all progress in the name of reduced pollution. Euro 6 in commercials is about as far as they can go at the moment, now they are legislating safety, lane guard, anti collision blah blah blah.
On an emissions test an earlier car will pass easier as the levels aren't as high. As you go up the Euro stages they are much stricter and will struggle to pass if not in tip top condition. There was talk of having to pass at the level the manufacturer stated when new, which 5-10 years down the line will take a lot of cars off the road (VW would be knackered)!
 2004 Disco 3 HSE TDV6
2015 Audi Q5 S Line plus
2008 Audi A4 Avant S Line Black Edition. Gone
2005 Chrysler Grand Voyger. Gone 

Post #205712430th May 2019 10:10 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

EGR adds some exhaust gas to the intake air (under certain speed/load conditions) to reduce the amount of oxygen in the charge. The reduced oxygen lowers the temperature of the combustion, and lowers the NOx emmissions.

High temperature combustion = NOx, Lower temperature combustion = Particulates!

No winning either way. Hence modern Diesel engines are covered in emissions reducing kit, and now particulate filters.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #205713130th May 2019 10:42 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Blank the Egrs but leave the pipes in place. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #205714230th May 2019 12:08 pm
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

The egr valves only open on over run (coasting on no throttle or low load). So when you're driving down the motorway they are closed and doing nothing. So if you blank them you are only effecting emissions a fraction of the time.

Technically your not meant to blank them as it has been stated. But pay your money and take your pick depending on your wallet/conscience.

Regarding the MOT the tester can't strip the car to check if you have blanked it. He/she can't even remove the top cover off the engine. So unless you fail on emissions they can't check. It appears to be common experience that the cars pass the emissions test with blanked egr's.

As your motor is a 2007 model it might need a software patch or not as I think thats at the cross over point. Bell auto services web site states the following:

If your chassis number is a 5A or 6A chassis number this kit is compatible without needing software modification. EG: SALLAAA12(5/6)A123456.

If you are the earlier model you could buy the kit (£34), fit, pass your MOT and then sort the EGR later when funds allow if that is what you want.

As stated , for later cars you need a software update to stop the engine check light coming on. The BAS software fix for the later cars works in my experience. But its more cash and you either need a IIDT tool to apply the software update your self, or need to use a company that can do it for you. End result might be the same cost to blank as it is to change the EGR. But the EGR's will fail again. Once blanked they will never cost you again.

Adrian

Post #205738731st May 2019 1:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >