Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EGR blanking for Euro 4 engines.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
UKDen

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
EGR blanking for Euro 4 engines.

My 07 TDV6 is coming to the end of its waranty. Have had both EGR valves replaced, the first at 20,000 miles and the second at 30,000 miles.

Being a regular visitor to this forum I realise that this is not unusual. The point is I do not want to be forking out cash for replacement EGR valves every year or two.

I realise that there are blanking kits out there, but my understanding is that from MY07 the engine management warning light will still come on and faults will be logged.

How about someone producing an electronic gizmo which could be fitted, to simulate the correct signals to fool the engine management system that a blanked off EGR valve is still working!!

I think there is a market for such a device.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Post #60755721st Feb 2010 8:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: EGR blanking for Euro 4 engines.

Unnecessary quote removed

There is a market for it, but its not really a viable option.

The ECM expects a certain air-flow reading when the EGR's are open. If they are blanked, it doesnt get the correct readings and goes into limp-mode...

The only way I can see it being an option is a custom re-map once the valves have been blanked off (common on VAG diesels)...

But then, the EGR's will still have to be plugged in, and if they fail, will then bring on the EML again. Unless someone can produce an emulator or something to be controlled by the ECM to mimic the movements of the EGR motors...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #60755921st Feb 2010 9:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jdhx

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

What percentage of cars have their EGR's fail, anyone know?
 Volvo XC60 - does all that the D4 should have done
Discovery HSE MY16 (good apart from the heating), now sold
Audi TT Roadster (wow)
MGB Roadster (owned since 1992)
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE MY08
Saab 9-5 Aero 2002 (gone but not forgotten) 

Post #60758921st Feb 2010 9:35 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Tempting fate I know, but in 2 D3's I have owned, over a total of 155000 miles, I never had an egr fail on me.

Post #60770722nd Feb 2010 12:29 am
UKDen

Gareth wrote:
Tempting fate I know, but in 2 D3's I have owned, over a total of 155000 miles, I never had an egr fail on me.

Hello Gareth

Were either of your cars MY07+. The reason I ask is, although my EGR caused a EM warning, there was no effect on performance at all. On both occasions I drove for hundreds of miles before having the valve replaced, including towing the caravan for 300+ miles.

As I understand it, if I had an earlier car, the EM warning light would not have come on, and as there was no performance deficit, I would not have known that there was anything wrong.

Please correct me if I have "got hold of the wrong end of the stick".

Post #60775322nd Feb 2010 9:27 am
Dave T

England 

I have an 05MY and had the EGRs replaced about 6 months ago at about 55000 miles which was the first time. I had no visible indication, it just started as an intermittant power loss that would go away when I restarted it until after a couple of months they just gave up and it was permenant lack of power.

I wonder if driving conditions have an affect, my normal commute is just enough to warm everything through properly and I normally use Sainsbury's fuel, with an occasional BP fill. Do people who have early and frequent failure do lots of non warming (less than about 10 mins or 10 miles ish) journey's perhaps?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #60776322nd Feb 2010 9:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

UKDen wrote:
Gareth wrote:

Hello Gareth

Were either of your cars MY07+. The reason I ask is, although my EGR caused a EM warning, there was no effect on performance at all. On both occasions I drove for hundreds of miles before having the valve replaced, including towing the caravan for 300+ miles.

As I understand it, if I had an earlier car, the EM warning light would not have come on, and as there was no performance deficit, I would not have known that there was anything wrong.

Please correct me if I have "got hold of the wrong end of the stick".

On 07MY>on vehicles, this is when they switched to EU4 emission compliancy. As such, if there is ANY fault that MAY affect the emissions, there must be a warning displayed, hence the EML with no noticeable fault or lack of power

Pre 07MY vehicles dont display the EML, when there is a fault with the emission control system, but they will still log a fault code

HTH
Mike

EDIT: Gareth, thats a brave statement to make. Hope it doesnt end in Big Cry
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #60776422nd Feb 2010 9:51 am
Disco_Mikey

Dave T wrote:
I have an 05MY and had the EGRs replaced about 6 months ago at about 55000 miles which was the first time. I had no visible indication, it just started as an intermittant power loss that would go away when I restarted it until after a couple of months they just gave up and it was permenant lack of power.

I wonder if driving conditions have an affect, my normal commute is just enough to warm everything through properly and I normally use Sainsbury's fuel, with an occasional BP fill. Do people who have early and frequent failure do lots of non warming (less than about 10 mins or 10 miles ish) journey's perhaps?

TBH, i think its just a poor design. The small roller bearings that allow the valve to open and close get contaminated by the carbon from the recycled gasses, and seize up, usually partially open, giving you a loss of power. There are pictures posted from Ridgeback_Moor who disected a pair of valves

A cleaner burning fuel would probably help reduce the amount of carbon, or an additive such as Millers DPS4 or 2 stroke oil

Although, none of this really explains why the valve head seems to burn away... Confused

EDIT: Found it for you Thumbs Up
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic29853.html?highlight=valve
 My D3 Build Thread

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 22nd Feb 2010 10:51 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #60776722nd Feb 2010 9:58 am
UKDen

Dave T wrote:
Do people who have early and frequent failure do lots of non warming (less than about 10 mins or 10 miles ish) journey's perhaps?

My disco is used mainly for long journeys. 40% of its miles have been with a caravan behind - usually on motorways steady 60 on cruise control. Use SWMBO diesel Yaris for all of the short stuff.

But as I mentioned in ealier post, no performance issue at all, just EM warning and fault log resulting in change of EGR under waranty.

Post #60778022nd Feb 2010 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >