Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EGR Blanking Kits
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Japseroony

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
EGR Blanking Kits

I was at Bell Auto Services yesterday having an EGR blanking kit fitted to my D3 and, to my surprise, one of Pete’s local dealers came by asking for two EGR blanking kits for Discovery TDV6s.

After he left, I mentioned to Pete that I was quite surprised that a dealer was indeed fitting these kits and he said there were several in the area that he supplied and indeed word was getting out to the other dealers and he was being contacted fairly regularly by some of the other dealers asking for information/kits etc Surprised

When chatting to Pete he stated that the EGR valves were on back order with Land Rover and had been for some time and probably would be for some time to come due to so many failing. Part of the problem is that Land Rover are replacing the EGR valves on vehicles under warranty and that is why they are in short supply. If, as a general customer, you go in and your car is not under warranty you may get one of these if you are lucky, however you may have to wait for some time and this could lead to problems.

He then went onto explain that if an EGR valve failed, whilst the car would run, it puts an excessive amount of strain on the turbo and could result in the turbo either failing or becoming damaged. Obviously this is a concern as if a vehicle is out of warranty and the EGR valve fails for any reason (and that in itself is bad enough) if a turbo actually fails then the owner is looking at something like a £900 bill just for the turbo, let alone the fitting and repair work to the EGR value Shocked Shocked

Pete mentioned to me that prevention was better than cure and therefore the EGR valve removal kit prevent the EGR valve from failing as you remove them completely and obviously this is backed up by Land Rover dealers also fitting the same kit.

I asked Pete why he did not fit them to cars after ’07 and this is due to them a) still being under warranty, and b) there is a requirement by law that if an EGR valve fails a light appears on the dash and if you replace the EGR value then this light remains on the dash. Pete and his local dealer are working on a fix for this problem as we speak, and it is my guess that EVR value blanking kits will be available for ’07 onwards models in the not too distant future.

The old “2p trick” works as a temporary measure, however for some £48 I would strongly suggest that anyone with a D3 older than ’07 contact Pete or the other suppliers on this site and obtain an EGR blanking kit and remove their EGR’s completely.

The above, of course, is IMHO, so please let’s not turn this into a “whose EGR blanking kit is best” as that is not what this post is about.

Japseroony.
 "UNDERSTEER" ---is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" -is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" ------------is how far you take the fence with you. 

Post #50679713th Aug 2009 1:33 pm
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

100% X2 ! Thumbs Up
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Post #50687213th Aug 2009 5:22 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Nice write up thanks Thumbs Up
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #50688513th Aug 2009 5:50 pm
al cope

England 

Call me a cynic, but I wonder how many dealers may have fitted a blanking plate and charged the customer for an EGR valve? Whistle

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #50688613th Aug 2009 5:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Jasperoony, agree its a good write up, BUT, its another link to a Sponser to which you are afiliated, well Pete, you, mates and Cheviot I seem to remember. We ALL know how good Pete Bell is, and I am sure people can use the WIKI page to look up the EGR Blanking procedure, and EGR on a search.

You must be on comission sir Wink

I for one would'nt Blank mine, its designed into the D3, like the TD5's was, just replace them. If they are in short supply it wont take long to get some, and I would'nt think a Dealership would permanently blank them IMHO.

Post #50694413th Aug 2009 7:39 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Lets take this thread as it is, praise for a site sponsor, and not turn it into an argument

Jason, the amount of times you've posted in tuning threads and praised BAS tunes could be taken as exactly the same thing, are you on commission? Wink
 The End  
Post #50695613th Aug 2009 8:01 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nope, not on comission, just a customer that was/is happy with what I purchased, and definately linked with Bell Auto's.....................As stated, nice write up, but obviously linked thats all Wink

Post #50697413th Aug 2009 8:33 pm
Japseroony

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Hi Jason,

The dealers ARE fitting these kits to cars older than '07 or indeed out of warranty for 2 reasons 1) They see this as a better option without further problems and 2) There aint any around to get from LR.

The EGR valve is a constant pain for LR not only on the D3's but also other vehicles and why they have not done anything about it seems very strange but thats LR for you Wink

As per you not fitting a blanking kit thats up to you - freedom to choose and all that but make sure you change one if it fails asap Thumbs Up

Only trouble is when they fail the driver might not know for some time so please for all reading "be aware" of the potential problems which I am sure are posted on here in more detail etc.

Please forgive me if folk thought I was or am trying to promote BAS on this - I am not, I am just relaying my findings and passing on my experience as it happened.

Other site sponsors offer EGR blanking kits and they are just as good so go to the person you know for a kit.

Japseroony.
 "UNDERSTEER" ---is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" -is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" ------------is how far you take the fence with you. 

Post #50723414th Aug 2009 10:49 am
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

MacLeod 313 wrote:

I for one would'nt Blank mine, its designed into the D3, like the TD5's was, just replace them. If they are in short supply it wont take long to get some, and I would'nt think a Dealership would permanently blank them IMHO.

Most people will say that when the vehicle is under warranty and you can get a free replacement vehicle whilst waiting for more cr Censored ppy replacement valves to arrive. If you're left with a useless D3 for days (or weeks), and still have to pay ££££'s when the new unreliable valves eventually turn up and get fitted, the option to fit a permanent solution that will not fail in the future becomes very attractive. And the performance marginally improves too. Horses for courses.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #50725014th Aug 2009 11:39 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just fitted a pair of blanking valves to my D3. Took about 2 hrs in total, but it was an easy job.
Car runs as new.
I went for the £5 "blanking plate gasket" version, rather than BAS's fancy £48 job. Less obvious to the casual viewer of my engine bay...
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #50808816th Aug 2009 6:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >