New Zealand 

paxo, if it helps, Al Cope NEVER found his dropped bolt Shocked
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #40357716th Jan 2009 7:22 pm
paxo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Dropped Bolt

Teah thanks for that i feel a whole lot better knowing that...... Rolling with laughter

I can just see the Dealers face as rubbs his hands together.....Hmmm a EGR flange bolt supprisingly expensive i guess Laughing

Mark

Post #40361516th Jan 2009 8:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I think it's an M6 bolt, which you can get from B&Q or somewhere like that. I did have a spare gasket but damned if I can find it now Confused . Will keep looking, but they're cheap enough - less than £2 I think Smile
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #40364516th Jan 2009 9:06 pm
opodden

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Done!

I finished installing my blanking off plates last weekend, ie just before Heine posted how to....

I have one comment to the procedure: I didn't loosen the upper part of the EGR "hose" with the fiddly clips. I found that there's enough leeway to get the blanking off plates in place just by loosening the lower two bolts on each side. I used instant gasket in the socket to keep the bolts from falling out, and the whole installation process went quite well.

My car had been almost impossible to start in the mornings, and was belching black smoke when I eventually got it going. Now it's running well again. The local garage found an error code for the left valve when I brought in in (for a different reason) yesterday.

My only concern now is what the computer(s) will do in the future: Will it continue to log a malfunction in the now blocked off valve, will it fill up an error buffer, will it affect engine management in any way? I don't want to replace the faulty valve if I don't have to. Any thoughts or experiences on this?

Post #40397517th Jan 2009 12:19 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Opodden ,

I've been running mine blanked for approx 50 ,000 Klms ( prob more I can't remember) with no problems .When I did have a fault with what turned out to be a loose EGR inlet pipe ( I didnt fit the clips back properly) I took it in to my local.I was up front that I had the EGR system blanked & Butterfly removed. According to the tech because of this his IDS was being confused because it wasn't getting readings where it should be.It was a while ago and I'm sorry I dont remember the correct terminology he used.
I have mine serviced every 15,00 klms and I haven't had any reports of errors on any occasion but I wonder if there are any in future would I/they have to remove the blanks in order to assess a fault within that system?

Post #40398117th Jan 2009 12:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

opodden, IMHO I think you had a faulty EGR before the blanking,
and will keep giving fault codes. The blanking solved the starting
issue said it all. If still in warranty you know what to do, if not, I would
have it cleaned first before I would replace.
As for the short cut on the blank plate fitting, I agree, worth checking out.
I may be a little old school, by just lifting the EGR pipe, applying sealer
to the plate and sliding it in, means the gasket has remained on the pipe Shocked
If the gasket had fallen out and still placed under the plate with sealer Thumbs Up
The point being that a gasket is there fore a reason and not all sealants can do
the job required, as a rule of thumb, do as the engine builder did.
For others:
May be try the short route first, if the gasket has stuck to the pipe, go the
long one. The gasket is very thin and quite brittle Thumbs Up
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #40401217th Jan 2009 1:38 pm
paxo

The Pax is back

Cheers guys

Got a new bolt and finished the EGR blanking .42p for 2 tho i resisted the 7.64 for the gasket and used sealent instead.

Truck is running gr8 the best it ever has i recon, and is very lively Laughing

Thanks again chaps and cheers to the DISCO3 website

Mark

P.S if anyone needs help with their EGR blanks am happy to help just PM me if not logged in

Post #40406817th Jan 2009 4:59 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Another butterflyless member Thumbs Up

Post #40407817th Jan 2009 5:29 pm
paxo

Yeah anyone wanna buy a EGV Butterfly Rolling with laughter

Post #40408517th Jan 2009 5:39 pm
paxo

Dropped Bolt

Oh the bolt is a standard m6x20 but if you use an unplated bolt remember to copperslip it mild steel into alli, Confused if you want to get it out again...

Yawn

Post #40408617th Jan 2009 5:44 pm
opodden

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Faulty EGR

As my car is out of warranty, I can't get the faulty EGR valve replaced for free. So my Q is if I will have anyl ong term problems with the computer constantly registring a faulty EGR valve. Any ideas on what the consequence might be? Shocked

Post #40437718th Jan 2009 10:48 am
paxo

Hi mate

My computer did not register a fault, i just lost power low down the rev range. My Disco has never been better, i think the valves have been faulty since i got it, its a manual, and hillstarts were a Bas** Exclamation rd either chug chug of the line or wheel spins !!

If yours is out of warranty, i would fit the blanks...at least you would have fixed one problem

Paxo

Post #40495519th Jan 2009 10:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >