Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EGR - Blanking - Remove Pipes???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Fenland

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
EGR - Blanking - Remove Pipes???

Bow down Hi All - My 06 is out of warranty 22March (still with the cheaper road tax Smile ) Having been through the threads on EGR blanking this is the next mod. to do Thumbs Up

The question I haven't been able to resolve - Is it better just to blank off and reattached the pipes or remove the pipes completely??
If I'm going caving under the bonnet it makes sense to do a 'proper' job.
What are your views?? Bow down Bow down
Iain
 If you can't cuddle it, shoot it and eat it!!  
Post #42552820th Feb 2009 11:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muppetlab

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I know Off Topic
but just wanted to say welcome to the forum, good to have some more norfolk members as we seem a bit thin on the ground considering how many D3's i see around. Regarding the EGR pipes, if you are blanking them off i dont see the point in putting them back on its a bit pointless, unless you only blank them one end but not sure as i have not done mine yet. Was looking at the Ball Autos kit which completely removes the pipes, said to allow better airflow too but not sure about that. Hope to see you out and about some time, Mines a silver 55 plate, with A bar and orange disco3 stickers. cheers jez
 Corrado Vr6
Disco 3 tdv6
Lr 90 3.9 v8 

Post #42553720th Feb 2009 11:57 am
al cope

England 

guys

it really isnt necessary to remove the pipes, this doesnt make it a "proper job". Just blank the one end down at the EGR valve end, and then fix the butterfly valve open in the air intake. This does all it needs to.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #42557120th Feb 2009 12:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

If you remove the pipes, then you need to work out a way of blanking the 2 open holes that will be left on the Electric Throttle Body as well. IMHO it's not really worth doing, as that will incur more expense, and give negligible results in terms of airflow improvements. There are blanks available to allow you to remove both pipes, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth the additional expense.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #42559520th Feb 2009 12:55 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I have the Bell Auto Services (see under Site Sponsors) kit fitted to mine and that does remove the pipes completely, replacing them with blanks both on the valves and the EGR butterfly body. With care it's easy enough to fit. A pdf with full instructions are here http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=3

I removed the butterfly but that was before I discovered the instruction on how to immobilise it which is probably much easier to do.

Removing the pipes does mean that you are removing quite a large obstruction to the inlet airflow but TBH, I have not noticed any difference performance wise. However, when you see how cruddy the pipes are, it makes you rather happy that you've removed a system that feeds your poor old engine a daily diet of s Censored te Exclamation
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #42565220th Feb 2009 2:37 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Removing the pipes completely makes it really obvious that the emissions equipment has been altered. You may or may not want the modification to be this obvious.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #42567020th Feb 2009 3:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >