Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EGR Valve - How To...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just a couple of basic questions regarding blanking EGR valves.

I have read that turbos can seize if the exhaust gas temperatures get very high for longish periods, as the lubrication will fail due to the increased heat. Is this likely to happen if the EGR valves are blanked off?

Secondly, will blanked EGR's result in increased exhaust emissions over and above Euro IV compliance?

I am asking these questions as I am due to have a turbo replacement and I am considering whether to get the EGR's blanked at the same time.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #68718329th Aug 2010 10:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Tony, if you blank the EGR's then there will be NO exhaust gasses being re-cycled, so less gunk to be gunked up in the first place.

EGR blanking has resulted from others onhere in reduced emmissions as it burns cleaner with clean incoming air.

No-one has so far failed MOT due to EGR blanking to my knowledge.

If your taking it to Shukers I don't think they'll blank them off for you.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #68719529th Aug 2010 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

EGR Blanking does NOT affect your MOT, Diesels are measured on Particles and NOT emmisons like Petrol versions. I have Blanked my TD5 and last week my FL1, and none have had MOT problems, and both become more responsive, and economical. Next service with TFC will be fitting a BAS EGR removal kit to the Disco 3 Thumbs Up

Post #68719929th Aug 2010 11:03 am
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thank's folks. Hi Bodsy, I use Stratsone at Stoke but I guess they will take much the same approach as Shukers. Do you know the reference for the turbo software patch for low mileage vehicles. I need to be armed with some info when it goes in for the diagnostic check on Tuesday.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #68722829th Aug 2010 1:33 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Blanking your EGR's has NO effect on a MOT test, mine were done about a month ago, and the particle test results during my MOT yesterday are actually slightly better than last year Thumbs Up

(even though my local 'posh' dealer tried hard to convince my that it would fail if I didn't cough up £600 for new EGR valves, yeah RIGHT Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter )

Oh, and overall, my MPG is around 3-5mpg better as well Very Happy
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #68726529th Aug 2010 5:44 pm
1964landyman

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Replacemant Bolts

Hi, I have removed the O/S EGR valve on my 07 V6 tonight and there's no way I,m putting that torx screw back in Evil or Very Mad .

Can anybody point me in the right direction please for replacemant bolts (the same as the ones that hold the pipe to the valve body please as per the information on here). Is there a L/R part number that anybody has or are they standard bolts available from any garage?

I should have the new EGR valves with me tomorrow so need to sort some bolts out prety smartish Shocked

Thanks.
 2007 Series 3 HSE
2000 Series 2 ES
1997 Series 1 GS 

Post #8138944th Jul 2011 11:10 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

LR dealer should have them. Or get standard bolts from any hardware store. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8138964th Jul 2011 11:11 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Just out of interest......about to start the process of getting TFC up here for my next service,and seriously considering getting this done...before I start bugging him,does he have his own blanking kit or do I need to get the BAS kit first ?
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8139505th Jul 2011 9:03 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

You could always give him a call.....? although ISTR he keeps a stack of them.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #8141185th Jul 2011 3:54 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I just e-mailed him a short time ago to ask 1. if he would be willing to come this far 2. rough estimate of service costs and 3. if he has blanking kits....
I know he is very busy so not expecting a quick response,but then I'm in no hurry so no worries either way Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8141215th Jul 2011 4:00 pm
1964landyman

Job completeed last night and the dash light has now gone off after the third start so I must have done something right Very Happy

I found the N/S harder than to do than the O/F for two reasons, firstly, two of the three long valve body bolts foul on part of the exhaust so had to remain loose in position whilst the assembly was withdrawn. This means there is a risk of them dropping out on removal and getting lost in the depths somewhere. Secondly, I found the inside torx bolt harder to get at due to the addional pipework in the way. In fact I spent 20 minutes just looking at it thinking there was no way I was going to be able to get at it, let alone remove it. Twisted Evil

In the end I replaced the torx bolts and valve flange bolts with Stainless ones so hopefully they should last now. (The valve flange bolts were very coroded).

For what it's worth, a couple of my tips for anybody looking at doing this job are:

Pack some rags down below the valves so that if anything drops, as it probably will Very Happy , then it can be retrieved. Even doing this I still managed to loose the N/S, inside torx screw.
Secondly, to get at those torx screws, I used a 150mm long flexible 1/4" drive socket extension and I don't see how I would have done it without this.

Anyway, job is now a goodun. Hopefully will last another 40K miles Very Happy

Thanks to Disco_Mikey and other posters for giving me the confidence to tackle this myself, without this forum I would be few quid lighter by now Very Happy
 2007 Series 3 HSE
2000 Series 2 ES
1997 Series 1 GS 

Last edited by 1964landyman on 6th Jul 2011 1:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8144376th Jul 2011 1:16 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

euan

TFC blanked mine with his own blanks - £45+VAT
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #8144386th Jul 2011 1:18 pm
philx

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

sorry to be dim but if its so much better to blank these off why are they fitted in first place.....? is there a downside from blanking then off?
 2 Freelanders 1 Range Rover Classic 1 Defender 1 Lightweight but first Disco Smile  
Post #82056626th Jul 2011 12:56 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

They are fitted to allow the engine to pass various emission requirements, however, they are a sh*t design, and very common for failing, and also very expensive to replace.

Much cheaper to just blank them off, and forget about them, as they are not needed for an MOT etc Thumbs Up

The only downside is on 07MY or newer, the engine management light will stay on
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #82058226th Jul 2011 6:30 am
1964landyman

Just out of curiosity, I took the motors off the end of the valve bodies of the old EGR valves to see how they worked.

From what I could see, the failure on the O/S valve was a small bearing which runs along a helical track which translates the rotation of the motor shaft into an axial movement of the valve stem. The Valve itself, although black with carbon, was not seized or dificult to move. The N/S valve appeard to be OK.

There was also a difference in the action of the motors when rotating the motor spindle by hand, and I think that this was probably the actual failure which caused the dash light to come on. On the failed one, the motor shaft could be just rotated continuously whereas on the good one, the spindle appeared to rotate against a spring so that the valve would open when power was applied to the motor and would close again automatically when the power to the motor was removed. I guess that this one was working correctly and that there was a broken spring in the other motor assembly - but this is just a guess.
 2007 Series 3 HSE
2000 Series 2 ES
1997 Series 1 GS 

Post #82060626th Jul 2011 8:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >