DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Electrical issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
d57san

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Electrical issues

Hi'

Maybe some can help me, just bought a second hand disco 3 tdv6 hse model 2005 with 100.000 km on the clock. It seams to have issue with power. Some times when I start the battery seams to be drained but with enoughf power to start the engine and the alarm led is blinking. If I turn of the engine and start again the led light it is gone. It also appears sometimes that I get a message when I start the engine "Default system for HDC is off" or something like that. I have the car checked at a Land Rover dealer and they found that the voltage was low, but the battery is ok, and that was after driving 100 km. The generator is ok and charging the battery as it should, nevertheless, it seams to have a lower voltage than expected to have all functions going. Is there any out who can help me?

Thanks in advange

Post #3170033rd Jul 2008 12:35 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi d57san, after an initial start-up voltage of 14 to 14.5, once the cranking battery is sensed to be charged, it is not uncommon for the operating voltage to drop to as low as 13.2.

Cheers and welcome to the site.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #3170113rd Jul 2008 3:37 am
d57san

thank you, but it seems that the voltage actually get under 13.2, I think the garage measured it to 12. something, but the issue is that the battery and generator seams to be 100% ok, but the voltage get low and some functions are disabled because of that. An indication of low voltage is that the red alarm led is blinking.

Post #3170233rd Jul 2008 7:17 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If the voltage is low how can the battery be ok?
The lead calcium batteries if they get low need to be bench charged to get back to full charge or they will be unable keep the charge. LR dealer should have done this. Looks as if the battery is loosing the charge when left so looks like a new battery if no other fault is found. Get then to check the drain when the vehicle is 'asleep'.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3170323rd Jul 2008 8:00 am
d57san

Thanks for your reply. We checked the drain, and it takes about 10 minutes before the "drain" is almost gone. The LR dealer says this is normal. We did a battery check of the battety, and there is a green indication on battery which says the battery is OK.

Funny is that after 100 km driving, we tried to start the 3 times in a row, the voltage came under 13 and that was too low for a computer test of the car, so the LR dealer had bench charge to battery for some time.

May be I should try following two things, first bench charge the battery for 24 hours, and if that does not solve the issue, buy a new battery.

Post #3170963rd Jul 2008 11:18 am
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You may have a faulty connection that is causing high resistance. Have a look here under voltage drop test to see if you have a problem connection or lead.

Post #3172593rd Jul 2008 5:25 pm
d57san

Thanks Brumlee, I will try check it.

Post #3172623rd Jul 2008 5:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >