Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Electronic Park Brake Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've noticed my breaks whistle when driving off on occasion... after a quick dab of the break pedal this stops.

Maybe there's something caught in there (dust, grit) or maybe the park break does not release fully and only does after a break pedal action ???

Anyone else noticed this ?

-s

Post #32476th May 2005 8:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, dont worry.

Post #32536th May 2005 9:19 pm
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Re: Electronic Park Brake Fault

Mine did this twice in a week, 5000 miles ago. Both times the vibration started after driving 100+miles at 80+mph. Both times I pulled over, pulled the key out to investigate (reboot), found nothing and then continued on my merry way.
A few days later my DS/LR3 was in the shop for the winch install and I gave them exact details of what happened. At first I thought it might have been my cell-phone resting in the slot with the parking brake, the second time is was not. They talked to LR and this was not an issue… at the time.
Thursday I went to the dealer for my 7500 mile oil change and I reminded them of the prior problem and gave them a copy of this post. An hour later the service manager comes out with the keys to a loaner. They pulled the rear tires and found the rear rotors and rear drums were shot… just like in the post. They ended up keeping it because they talked to LR technical support and because of safety concerns they needed to keep it to inspect the parking brake’s wiring harness for nicks or moisture.
Both times this happened 5000 miles ago, it was fixed with a reboot. I never lost confidence in the vehicle.
So, Im driving an ’05 Freelander with 200 miles on the clock for the weekend. And the damn thing doesn’t play mp3s. crap.
Ill post an update when I get one.
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #32557th May 2005 2:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Blade, thanks for the info. I have found out more and that is with manual brakes you can normally feel the brake biting when applied. With auto, it has a solonoid that simply pulls the brake on with tensioners. If the tensioners are not free, the the auto adjustment will not work. However on the RR it has the same, but they do not appear to have a problem. Maybe you have a rogue!

Post #32607th May 2005 9:00 am
BN

England 

cmyers_uk wrote:
Quote:
If I had not of been able to stop at the services my Discovery would now be a burnt out wreck!!

I really cant see any Company car or individual driver ignoring this and not raising it as an issue. I think I just have a different view of paying with your hard earned cash against a Company driver who pays tax and usually and allowance from his hard earned salary.

Keep smiling I respect your views, I do agree the cause of the fault should be found and if necessary a recall issued if it effects other cars.

Regards
Chris

cymers, no probs it is all good clean discussion Wink .

Post #32617th May 2005 9:02 am
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
If the tensioners are not free, the the auto adjustment will not work. However on the RR it has the same, but they do not appear to have a problem. Maybe you have a rogue!

BN - Don't you think one way and another we are all driving rogues, as there are so many faults appearing Wink
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #32647th May 2005 9:28 am
BN

England 

Dom, not really, the vehicle is basically a brilliant vehicle and very capable, but it has some early teething problems, but many cars do having said that. The biggest problem we have is that Land Rover (Ford) simply do not talk to us or anyone else (even dealers it appears) and give simple answers. I have tried and am trying to get answers, but it is an uphill struggle. What we have done on the forum is opened up some serious and very interested peoples thoughts, both owners and potential buyers. If every owner/driver of a D3 LR3 logged on it may be another storey, we just happen to be very very interested in the car and take the time to participate with others.

Post #32707th May 2005 5:49 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

BN - you are right, but it leaves such an unpleasant taste in the mouth, we must be nuts because despite all the problems we still think they are brilliant, I know I do and I am one of the very lucky ones so far (FINGERS CROSSED) as I have not had most of the problems others have except for very minor niggles, mine is one of the early builds too but an entry level 7 seater.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone

Post #32717th May 2005 6:54 pm
BN

England 

Dom, I am off to Rome on Monday in mine, then on to Gibraltar. If it's going to break down, then it will because it is really going to work hard in the mountains around Frosinone.

Post #32777th May 2005 9:19 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

Optimistically lets hope you have a trouble free journey, it will be good to put it through its paces, good luck and let us all know how it behaves. Is yours one of the early builds too Question
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone

Post #32828th May 2005 9:00 am
BN

England 

Dom, mine was built on or around the 24th February according to a seat manufacture slip left in the pocket at rear of the drivers seat. I took delivery on the 15th March, so it is relatively new build. We will be towing a 2 tonne trailer so MPG will be interesting. I am getting around 28 to 31 MPG at the moment, but the trailer will knock it down to around 24 MPG especially around the Austrian Mountains and the passes. Just hope I don't get stopped if it is misty with the rear fogs alight.

Post #32868th May 2005 1:01 pm
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Re: Electronic Park Brake Fault

Update
After driving a Freelander without MP3 support and having to listen to the radio for three days, I got my Disco/LR3 back today.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I had this occur twice 5000 miles ago and when I took my truck, err, whatever, in for an oil change I took this post with me.

They pulled the rear wheels and did find my rotors were shot and so were the pads for internal parking brake. They kept it for another business day.

Picking it back up today, I talked to the tech and he said he replaced all that and per LR’s instructions he inspected the EPB’s entire wiring harness for any sort of damage or nicks, he did not find any, and then per LR’s instructions, sealed and taped a connector that is on the EPB loom about 2 feet from the EPB module.

The tech said he’d be happy to not have to inspect that loom ever again. Smile

No big deal to me. But if this comes up to anyone else, LR is aware of the gremlin and take this post to your dealer.

Cheerios
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #336410th May 2005 3:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

BN
Quote:
If it's going to break down, then it will because it is really going to work hard in the mountains around Frosinone.

How did your trip go, any problems with the D3 or was it all plain sailing.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone

Post #343314th May 2005 5:11 pm
BN

England 

Dom, the following is the result of the trip Laughing .

Travelled to Frosinone in Italy, just below Rome in the D3. Two drivers and £161.23 of diesel later (3 fuel stops) Total I think is £323.00. For the mathematicians amongst you, I make that an average of 13p/p/mile and 30.17 miles per gallon Shocked . Not bad considering we were reaching 100 MPH at times Twisted Evil . Mountains caused a drop in fuel dramatically but auto routes both strada and bahn helped a lot, especially toll roads. Did not touch Germany, but went through, Belgium, France and Switzerland and visa versa for the return. Cruise control was not used at all as it was using too much fuel. Will have to get it checked, but I think all cruise controls are similar, they do not have the feel of the driver.

Left on Monday morning at around 04:00 and arrived in location at about 23:50 the same day including the Chunnel.

Did not take the trailer as thought, so speeds much higher and fuel much better. Total mileage 2410. Cost of diesel average of around £0.85 per litre. Not sure of average speed due to stops and tunnel, which were short and furious? Return journey yesterday arrived UK home at around 23:00, leaving at 03:00. Fuel so similar it was a surprise, but costs still to be worked out accurately as a bit brain dead at the moment.

Problems mechanically and electrically with vehicle - none Very Happy .

Drivers seat, total rubbish Mad , both of us have totally broken backs and taking pain killers. I have the S model and the driver and passenger seats have to go.

Ride superb. Handling excellent. Presence on road, awesome especially around Rome’s ring road Twisted Evil , we were the ones intimidating the typical Italian raceway. Some very interested looks. The Fix It Again Tony’s (FIAT for those who don’t know) didn’t want to know. Hooted at once by a lady in a large black people carrier who was busy talking on her mobile whilst travelling at about 150 KPH and 3” behind me and trying to get by. She was also talking to her passengers in the back of her car. That’s OK, but she was a Nun Shocked . Going to write to her boss and complain, but don’t have his address. Ride on Italian mountain roads excellent, but very tight around some of the narrow village roads due to length and width. Turning circle excellent when required on hairpin mountain roads.

Hill decent fantastic on side of mountain in grass conditions, just about see the wheel marks in the grass (Martin will post pictures for me). No real serious offroad as can be seen in the picture, but did get to top of mountain through the trees. Only one scratch, but that will spray out.

Must say, saw a very interesting vehicle in Frosinone Shocked . (Martin will post picture - its the Police Smart car. He has also posted my baby, the 1953 Albatros boat I have restored) It was marshalling the huge cycle race on Wednesday night.

In all a very good, fast and furious drive with only the pathetic seat to moan about. Aircon worked fine and obviously did not cause too much drain on power as fuel results prove. Off to Gibraltar on Monday, sorry but taking the RR as the D3 'S' seats are trash as far as I and my partner are concerned. By the way she is Italian and drives extremely well, if you keep your eyes closed.

Post #344014th May 2005 7:01 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Welcome back, glad to hear the Disco didn't let you down, I suspect you just didn't notice the mopeds bouncing off you in Rome Very Happy

Must admit I'm coming to the same conclusion about the S seats, I'm experimenting with different positions but doubt I'll find one that prevents backache, let me know if you find a solution

Si

Post #344414th May 2005 8:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >