Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Any Electronics wizards on the Forum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Any Electronics wizards on the Forum

I think my relay is on its way out on my GSM Dial2 Open that I use on my FBH. its been playing up this last few days, sometimes it does not run at all or even reply when I text it, but when I tried it today with the unit in my hand you can feel and hear the relay clicking for about 20 seconds, its as though its not staying latched on. I sent a text at 07:30 am and it answered me back at 18:00pm tonight, its normally back within 1 min.

Can the relay be changed or is it a new GSm unit. Or has anybody any idea if it could be someting else?

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #71821119th Nov 2010 7:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Flack, the faulty relay wouldn't delay a response text for hours. If everything's working then clicking relays that don't seem to energise are usually caused by low voltage. Check the entire power supply (positive and earth including earth connection to chassis) and see if you can fix it that way first. A new inline fuse, and check for corrosion at the inline fuse terminals would also be beneficial.

Good luck!
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #71821319th Nov 2010 7:47 pm
Flack

stapldm

Thanks I will check it over tomorrow for any loose wires, but what I have noticed is that when I ring it from my mobile it does not cut off after two rings like it used to, it stays connected until I end the call but the FBH fires up sometimes and runs. Its all very funny the way its performing.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #71839520th Nov 2010 2:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Last time my sim was about to expire .. Text message was the first to go .. Then the 2 rings .

Ended up with the recorded message telling me the number was no longer

This all took about 10 days
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #71839620th Nov 2010 2:50 am
Flack

Wiggs there is something wrong with my GSM unit, it has been in the same place and in the same upright position since I first installed it and it worked fine until now. I have been playing with it today and I have found that if I lie the GSM down flat it works every time, but when I stand it up to the original position the relay goes mad when I ring it clicking like crazy as though it can't latch on.

I was also in the house having a brew when it started up on its own, I have gone through and checked all the settings and there is only me and the wife's mobile number and the house number it should answer to so very strange.

I have kept an eye on it for the last couple of hours and all seems ok with it lying flat and it instantly disconnects when I ring it and the FBH fires up as it should.

I think it might be dying so will start looking for another one when I am back from the US.

thanks for the help & suggestions guys.. This forum is the bogs dollocks when you need help... Thumbs Up

Flack Bow down Bow down

Post #71852220th Nov 2010 5:39 pm
Tufty

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Flack
If it doesn't like being vertical then that points to a dry joint to me (or possibly a cracked track on the PCB) as said before by stapldm the relay probally isn't the issue as it's just the interface between the 'clever bit' and the external circuit so if that was the problem then it would dissconnect the call/text back but not switch on the FBH.
Start by looking at all the 'heavy' component solder joints as they are more likely to be affected by the change in position.
Another possibility is the supply cables and moving the unit is reconnecting a break in the cable?

Good luck Very Happy

Post #71865920th Nov 2010 11:23 pm
Flack

Tufty

I have checked all the connections even with a Multimeter and all are fine, I think you might be right about a dry joint though on the pcb Thumbs Up

Flack

Tufty wrote:
Hi Flack
If it doesn't like being vertical then that points to a dry joint to me (or possibly a cracked track on the PCB) as said before by stapldm the relay probally isn't the issue as it's just the interface between the 'clever bit' and the external circuit so if that was the problem then it would dissconnect the call/text back but not switch on the FBH.
Start by looking at all the 'heavy' component solder joints as they are more likely to be affected by the change in position.
Another possibility is the supply cables and moving the unit is reconnecting a break in the cable?

Good luck Very Happy

Post #71868321st Nov 2010 1:12 am
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

what wiggs said. Prepaid card not enough money on it. Phone company sending reminder sms to your car confusing the unit.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #71870421st Nov 2010 9:14 am
Flack

Its working perfect now that the unit is on its side, I sent loads of texts to the unit yesterday testing it and I got them all back, it disconnects as soon as the gsm unit picks the call up.

chalky
What you are suggesting is the first thing I thought it might be, but I always send a text to the unit just to keep the sim alive because I lost a couple in the early days when I first set it up..

Flack Thumbs Up

dick dastardly wrote:
what wiggs said. Prepaid card not enough money on it. Phone company sending reminder sms to your car confusing the unit.

Post #71872021st Nov 2010 10:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >